Fallout 4

Goran

4 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Found the guy's voice a bit irritating at first but those videos are cool Edgarus. Gives me something to listen to as I blast about the original Mass Effect trilogy scanning planets. 

Yeah, he does tend to over dramatise things to a degree but he is really fucking thorough and you really dont have to watch at all, he narrates it all so its great to listen to when gaming.

• 3 months later...

I've played FO4 twice through and both times met the character Evan who lives in trailer in the south part of Nuka World, the first time meeting him without knowing the back story behind the inclusion and reason for this character. Good guy, both times he asked me to help myself to his stuff, both times I had a look around but took nothing, both times I left behind a bottle of beer for him because he was so nice.

I think its a really nice touch by Bethesda to have done this.

From the Fallout 4 page on reddit.com

Edited by CityDave

New Vegas is sensational, I was pretty underwhelmed by Fallout 4 in comparison, tbh. Story and setting of NV is light-years more interesting than 4.

I haven't played Fo3 or New Vegas, I have though watched the play through on Youtube by Gopher. Fallout 3 is a looks good game and was a good reboot for the series, people need to remember its in its time and was a state of the art open world game back then, the concept was fantastic and the potential it had. New Vegas was much better simply because of the story line, the character interactions and the DLCs. I still think the DLC's on New Vegas are better bar Far Harbor on Fallout 4. I might buy New Vegas once my second run on Fallout 4 is done leaving just the settlement builds and while I'm waiting for Far Cry 5 to come out.

All the Fallouts are excellent, but it depends on what you are looking for in an open world game.

1 hour ago, forameus said:

Fallout 4 wasn't shit, but it was disappointing given the potential it had

Yup. The whole voiced character jumping in and out of emotional scenes during the main storyline was jarring when you spend the rest of the time exploring not giving a shit about his son. 

The overall map design and gunplay was a big improvement but nothing else really. It made VATS less fun than shooting which I liked. 

1 hour ago, GiGi said:

Yup. The whole voiced character jumping in and out of emotional scenes during the main storyline was jarring when you spend the rest of the time exploring not giving a shit about his son. 

The overall map design and gunplay was a big improvement but nothing else really. It made VATS less fun than shooting which I liked. 

I based my entire second run through the game on this, trying to use more emotional dialogue when dealing with characters the Sole Survivor cares about. The dialogue I found as one of the downsides, the sole survivor just lost his wife and had his son kidnapped (even though it was 60 years ago) that and a number of traumatic events including the fact it was 200 years later and that the world that he knew didn't exist anymore. I tried to play the second time as it would have happened for real life with real life reactions as much as the game would allow you to do. The main point would be that in real life a father or mother who had their child kidnapped would have that as their main priority (probably more likely their only priority) not faff around building settlements or siding with factions. ''Preston Garvey shut the hell up, I got you and your friends out of the museum, killed a deathclaw and some raiders so you could help me find my son instead of going on about bloody settlements''. I deliberately focused on how a real person would react in this situation and overall it sucks but then you wouldn't get much of a game if it was real. Also I used the factions instead of siding with them avoiding most of the missions and only helping so they could help me, this went on until after meeting father for the first time when the frantic search stopped and gave time to reflect, sole survivor would only then think about helping others and the three factions depending on finding out their motivations.

The reaction anyone would have in that situation where you have lost your partner and you find out that your son is thirty years older than you and runs a shadowy selfish orginisation that experiments on the remaining population without any compassion or any thought about helping them often killing them in the process, it would probably see most parents either spending the rest of their short life in drug or alcoholic induced oblivion or turning a gun on themselves. Sitting around in the yellow house in Sanctuary huffing Jet all day with Mama Murphy and Trashcan Carla would not be unappealing. (Yes I have seen Carla walking in and out of that house when she thinks I'm not looking :lol:  edit - seen through a sniper rifle lol)

The complete lack of emotional dialogue especially from father/Sean towards the Sole Survivor after the first meeting was a cop out, either Sean was supposed to be unable to have any emotional attachment to his Dad or its just simply crap. You go and visit your son soon after the shock of the first meeting to catch up and to start bonding and he send you out on a fucking mission!! wtf, so detached, but its only a game. Also you would take years to get over the death of your wife/husband not end up in bed with a companion within days or weeks of waking up, too soon...too soon. 

If the next Fallout can raise its dialogue and dialogue choices up to the level of Witcher 'Wild Hunt' it would be fantastic (despite some dialogue in that being a bit cringe worthy)

Don't think I'm taking this game too seriously, I had a lot of laughs second time around especially when the game gliches, when something happens by accident or by using more sarcastic dialogue.

Edited by CityDave

7 minutes ago, CityDave said:

I based my entire second run through the game on this, trying to use more emotional dialogue when dealing with characters the Sole Survivor cares about. The dialogue I found as one of the downsides, the sole survivor just lost his wife and had his son kidnapped (even though it was 60 years ago) that and a number of traumatic events including the fact it was 200 years later and that the world that he knew didn't exist anymore. I tried to play the second time as it would have happened for real life with real life reactions as much as the game would allow you to do. The main point would be that in real life a father or mother who had their child kidnapped would have that as their main priority (probably more likely their only priority) not faff around building settlements or siding with factions. ''Preston Garvey shut the hell up, I got you and your friends out of the museum, killed a deathclaw and some raiders so you could help me find my son instead of going on about bloody settlements''. I deliberately focused on how a real person would react in this situation and overall it sucks but then you wouldn't get much of a game if it was real. Also I used the factions instead of siding with them avoiding most of the missions and only helping so they could help me, this went on until after meeting father for the first time when the frantic search stopped and gave time to reflect, sole survivor would only then think about helping others and the three factions depending on finding out their motivations.

The reaction anyone would have in that situation where you have lost your partner and you find out that your son is thirty years older than you and runs a shadowy selfish orginisation that experiments on the remaining population without any compassion or any thought about helping them often killing them in the process, it would probably see most parents either spending the rest of their short life in drug or alcoholic induced oblivion or turning a gun on themselves. Sitting around in the yellow house in Sanctuary huffing Jet all day with Mama Murphy and Trashcan Carla would not be unappealing.

7 minutes ago, CityDave said:

Don't think I'm taking this game too seriously

K4YhXfo.png

I played 4 first which is probably why I like it so much, first experience of fallout. Lost months of my life to it.

I loved the settlement building part and I just felt 3 was too much of "work your way through this tunnel to progress".

6 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

I played 4 first which is probably why I like it so much, first experience of fallout. Lost months of my life to it.

I loved the settlement building part and I just felt 3 was too much of "work your way through this tunnel to progress".

Yup I've spent weeks on the building part. The settlement building is enjoyable and its interesting to see what you can create with the limits of each settlement, interesting also to see what other gamers have done.  I like some of the building mods as well, haven't had a look at Nexus for a while to see if there is any new ones on the go.