Fallout 4

Goran

It really is, before I'd see Raiders/Dogs/Bloodbugs and just pummel straight into them. Now I shit myself as I realise I've not saved in ages, so frantically try and run and hide before they see me. Nothing scarier than finding something tremendous, trying to get back to a safe place and running into enemies in every direction.

The longest I went without saving was about 40 minutes and it was undone by accidentally triggering a mine at Starlight Drive-In. Was fucking raging. I can't play it for very long but I'm playing it quite methodically and even things like clearing Corvega, the first raider group you're sent after for a settlement, feels like a genuine achievement. Clearing all of Lexington felt the same.

the next DLC is Contraptions Workshop the 2nd part of 3 Worskshop DLC and will be released next week.

We then get the 3rd and final park of Workshop DLC called the Vaultec Workshop in July and this looks like it will allow you to build your own Vault.

In August we get Nuka World

Edited by ajwffc

They done less with Skyrim so I'm surprised they put so many DLC's in to be fair.

Hopefully it means they have a team spending all their time on a new elder scrolls game or already began work on fallout V.

the next DLC is Contraptions Workshop the 2nd part of 3 Worskshop DLC and will be released next week.

We then get the 3rd and final park of Workshop DLC called the Vaultec Workshop in July and this looks like it will allow you to build your own Vault.

In August we get Nuka World

That info i heard seems to have been right on the money then. Sweet

Hadn't realised these were the last. Thought there would be 4/5 far harbour esque 'large' DLCs and smaller workshop DLCs littered here and there, pretty disappointed tbh.

Well lets compare, Automatron was about the same size as Operation Anchorage, probably a little bigger infact. Far Harbour has about as much content as the pitt and Broken Steel and if the Nuka DLC is about the same size as Far Harbour it will equal Point Lookout and Mothership Zeta, then you have the 3 workshop DLC's on top of that. Considering most of us bought the season pass for about £20 it seems well worth the value for what your getting.

Not to mention overall the game has much better MOD support than Fallout 3 did and 4 has more content in the base game than 3 did and a larger map

Edited by EdgarusQPFC

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got round to finishing the main story this week, sided with the Railroad.

Blowing up the Prydwen was fantastic - the view of that from just after getting dropped off is now by PC background image - but blowing up the Institute was a bit disapointing in comparison.

Still enjoyed it though. 

Theres a great mod that tells you which quests you've missed, so Ive been mopping up the misc and companion quests before I start on Far Harbour

Finally got round to finishing the main story this week, sided with the Railroad.

Blowing up the Prydwen was fantastic - the view of that from just after getting dropped off is now by PC background image - but blowing up the Institute was a bit disapointing in comparison.

Still enjoyed it though. 

Theres a great mod that tells you which quests you've missed, so Ive been mopping up the misc and companion quests before I start on Far Harbour

Good point actually.  The destruction of the Prydwen was brilliant, but everything's building up to (well, at least if you choose to) the Institute exploding.  It wasn't anywhere near as good when that happened.  

I really wish I hadn't been lazy and bought the season pass for this when it was cheaper.  Yet to get any of it, but maybe hold off for now.  Division is taking up most of my time, so still got the Witcher DLC to go through.  Then it'll be on to this again.

The DLC for Fallout 4 has been disappointing so far. I don't have much interest in the settlement stuff and having 3 DLC based on that is a lot. Hopefully Nuka Cola world will be decent as Automatron was ok, leaving Far Harbour as the only decent DLC so far.

Interesting article which sums up the way a lot of people seem to feel about the game:

http://www.pcgamesn.com/fallout-4/bethesda-dont-seem-to-know-what-fallout-4-is-anymore

I wouldn't say I exactly feel that way about it, but it touches on a lot of similar points.  I enjoyed Fallout 4, and if I looked at the number of hours I sank into it, it'd probably be more than I thought.  But it's just all a bit pointless in a way.  It's a good game, but it's frustrating because it could have been so much more.  They built a fantastic open world - in fact, probably the best.  Witcher's is bigger, and more beautiful, but it's still pretty sparse.  JC3 is very pretty, but even more sparse and pointless.  FO managed to craft a huge world but keep it very dense and packed.  It could have looked better, but it's understandable why it didn't.  They also tacked on a wonderful settlement building system. 

But then I start to agree with the article.  What's the point in that settlement system?   You can build great things with it, and they're adding more, but what's the point?  I only got attacked once in all the hours I played, and beyond that there isn't really anything other than the Sims can give you.  The story is nowhere near the quality that they've done in the past either.  In fact, in some places it was pretty badly written, and meshed quite badly. 

Also, it's been said before, but I think they really got screwed by releasing it once Witcher 3 had come out.  There's a hell of a lot more to do in Fallout, but the RPG elements and sheer beauty showed everyone how it was supposed to be done.  I don't doubt that had it not existed, Fallout wouldn't have seemed as bad in that sense.

I'm not usually a big admirer of a games storyline. I usually play with my headphones in and skip the cutscenes. But the dialogue system in this game is really poor. I loved the previous Fallout's expansive dialogue and speech/skill checks were much better as a result.

I went to start a new game of Fallout 4 and went for New Vegas instead who's storyline is a million times better.

Incidentally I was playing New Vegas for the first time today. Graphics really, surprisingly hold up. Was watching Sunny Smiles running ahead of me into the desert and was already more immersed than I'd ever been in 4.

If mods ever come to PS4 I'd seriously consider seeking one out that removes settlement building entirely. It's fun, but it's like something from a completely different story. That, properly realistic damage and the ability to save anytime in Survival mode (Fallout is not a stable enough game to be limiting saving, and I'm sick of my character having to sleep four times a day, increase their hunger and thirst and catch horrendous diseases) would be great. I'd look into doing it myself but I don't own a PC copy.

Incidentally I was playing New Vegas for the first time today. Graphics really, surprisingly hold up. Was watching Sunny Smiles running ahead of me into the desert and was already more immersed than I'd ever been in 4.

If mods ever come to PS4 I'd seriously consider seeking one out that removes settlement building entirely. It's fun, but it's like something from a completely different story. That, properly realistic damage and the ability to save anytime in Survival mode (Fallout is not a stable enough game to be limiting saving, and I'm sick of my character having to sleep four times a day, increase their hunger and thirst and catch horrendous diseases) would be great. I'd look into doing it myself but I don't own a PC copy.

Why do you need a mod to remove it, just don't do any settlement building.

I've never understood this idea that it's completely outside the game. The underlying theme if the game is rebuilding the Commonwealth. Each faction wants to do that but in different ways. The fact that you can create settlements to start that rebuilding seems a pretty good fit to me.

If there's a criticism there I would say its that it doesn't go anywhere, it never ends. Of course that can also be a good thing too!

I struggled to get into NV but I didn't really give it much of a chance. If I get a new GFX card I might mod it up and give it another try.

The New Vegas storyline is much better than this one, the whole karma system was something that should've been kept it, while I'm sure the developers have acknowledged how poor the speech system is.

Feels like a bit of a missed opportunity, as sometimes the game is tremendous, but a lack of real playability will put a lot of people off.

Why do you need a mod to remove it, just don't do any settlement building.

It's about immersion, isn't it? But that is nitpicking, I'll admit. A more important aspect of this ideal 'mod' I'd be looking for would be fluffing up some of the existing possible settlements - places like Tenpines, Starlight, County Crossing - into proper small towns like Covenant or Bunker Hill. Places you can pick up supplies, talk to people, pick up a quest or two. I want to travel and meet and visit and help existing settlements, not build them all myself.

I'm not saying this would make for an improved game, but it would make for an interesting playthrough.

It's about immersion, isn't it? But that is nitpicking, I'll admit. A more important aspect of this ideal 'mod' I'd be looking for would be fluffing up some of the existing possible settlements - places like Tenpines, Starlight, County Crossing - into proper small towns like Covenant or Bunker Hill. Places you can pick up supplies, talk to people, pick up a quest or two. I want to travel and meet and visit and help existing settlements, not build them all myself.

I'm not saying this would make for an improved game, but it would make for an interesting playthrough.

I get what you're saying and theres a good chance there will be mods come that do that kind of thing. Certainly there were a lot of additional quests mods for Skyrim once the creation kit came out.

There are already a few (PC) saves kicking about where people have built up other settlements.

Again, though, the whole point of the game is that civilisation is rebuilding. If everywhere you went were already established settlements that would be a bit odd, no?

Again, though, the whole point of the game is that civilisation is rebuilding. 

I think the point is theres no real reason for it, you're just building it up for yourself as the effect it has on the actual game is minimal.

And you're right that the game is about rebuilding the Commonwealth. Honestly I like the settlement building and have basically forgot what I'm supposed to be arguing here already. It definitely has a place in the game and when it goes right it's great. Just a shame they didn't take it a bit further - imagine building a string of Brotherhood fortresses across the Commonwealth, or setting up Railroad hideouts, or bringing Institute technology to the surface.

I've heard that the modding scene hasn't really hit its stride yet. Skyrim took a year or so to get going. I've had a look through the Xbox catalogue on my brother's and it's like wading through shite looking for diamonds.