Poaching Managers

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of the nine managers that have come and gone during my time supporting Saints, three of them have been sacked in the truest sense of the word and they were the three we poached from other clubs.

I wonder if the mistake clubs make is they try to judge a manager on what he has done elsewhere rather than what he might do at their club. To me, Terry Butcher and Hibernian doesn't seem a good fit and is an example of this.

Like I said, the club were bottom and being absolutely horsed by everyone when he took over. He maybe didn't make us successful, but clearly his last game, where we were a goal away from the top six, is not as bad as getting thumped 9-0.

It's also interesting how much emphasis is placed on league finishes as a sign of success.

Had the Dons found one goal in Brown's last game, they would have been top 6 and we'd all be saying Brown at least took us back to the top half.

On the other hand, had Aberdeen not found a late goal in a similar play-off v Falkirk in 07, Calderwood would have taken the team to the bottom 6. We actually finished 4th that season which everyone appears to find very impressive.

Likewise, had Dundee United earned just a point from their final three games in 08, Aberdeen wouldn't have made Europe, meaning in Calderwood's 5 seasons at Pittodrie, he'd have qualified for Europe only once, and his sacking maybe wouldn't have been seen as so outrageous either.

Funny how things look when you merely look at a league table, and not how good the team actually were.

So to sum up, your point is: If your auntie had baws she'd be your uncle. Well duh.

What a bizarre post.

Why let other clubs poach your managers? Other than Del heading to Hibs for a brief holiday as assistant, we just sack all of our managers. Moral high ground IMO.

a bit like when Aberdeen tried to poach Sir Alex from St Mirren, f**k that just sack him!

Watch it Estragon the fickle QLP will red dot you...............we have to give AJ a chance to pull it round :whistle

While I hope to be proven wrong, I'm willing to put my flag up now and say that we'll look back on this appointment as a bit of a catastrophe.

• 1 year later...

With recent events I think it is a good moment to bump this thread. Plus I think we can now put Butcher down as a failure, possibly the biggest ever.

Let this be a warning to Tommy Wright, John Hughes or whoever else thinking about taking the job at United.

First time looking at this thread. From a Motherwell point of view, when was the last time we "poached" a manager from another club? Scottish or not. Was it Tommy McLean back in '84?

Not sure about Kampman - was he from another club? Other than that, McLeish, Davies, Black, Butcher, Malpas, McGhee, Gannon, Brown or McCall weren't in charge of another side before taking over.

Archived