Poaching Managers

And all of this sterling work contributed to a colossal single place rise in the table as well as the biggest spend ever seen in the Motherwell club shop, of course.

Like I said, the club were bottom and being absolutely horsed by everyone when he took over. He maybe didn't make us successful, but clearly his last game, where we were a goal away from the top six, is not as bad as getting thumped 9-0.

It's also interesting how much emphasis is placed on league finishes as a sign of success.

Had the Dons found one goal in Brown's last game, they would have been top 6 and we'd all be saying Brown at least took us back to the top half.

On the other hand, had Aberdeen not found a late goal in a similar play-off v Falkirk in 07, Calderwood would have taken the team to the bottom 6. We actually finished 4th that season which everyone appears to find very impressive.

Likewise, had Dundee United earned just a point from their final three games in 08, Aberdeen wouldn't have made Europe, meaning in Calderwood's 5 seasons at Pittodrie, he'd have qualified for Europe only once, and his sacking maybe wouldn't have been seen as so outrageous either.

Funny how things look when you merely look at a league table, and not how good the team actually were.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like I said, the club were bottom and being absolutely horsed by everyone when he took over. He maybe didn't make us successful, but clearly his last game, where we were a goal away from the top six, is not as bad as getting thumped 9-0.

It's also interesting how much emphasis is placed on league finishes as a sign of success.

Had the Dons found one goal in Brown's last game, they would have been top 6 and we'd all be saying Brown at least took us back to the top half.

On the other hand, had Aberdeen not found a late goal in a similar play-off v Falkirk in 07, Calderwood would have taken the team to the bottom 6. We actually finished 4th that season which everyone appears to find very impressive.

Likewise, had Dundee United earned just a point from their final three games in 08, Aberdeen wouldn't have made Europe, meaning in Calderwood's 5 seasons at Pittodrie, he'd have qualified for Europe only once, and his sacking maybe wouldn't have been seen as so outrageous either.

Funny how things look when you merely look at a league table, and not how good the team actually were.

Why only look at the league table when we can look at the £1.5 million loss from last season. I don't think Craig Brown can make up that spending outlay in the club shop this Christmas.

Very good, very long.

I mean, however you want to phrase it, go ahead. But Brown finished one place ahead of where McGhee did, in a league without rangers, also signed shite, also got gubbed in cups.

And all of this sterling work contributed to a colossal single place rise in the table as well as the biggest spend ever seen in the Motherwell club shop, of course.

Why only look at the league table when we can look at the £1.5 million loss from last season. I don't think Craig Brown can make up that spending outlay in the club shop this Christmas.

What's the story about Brown and the club shop?

He tried to explain that we shouldn't view him as a traitor and judas for leaving us in the lurch because he spent a bit of money in the shop. This was after Boyle confronted him on the touchline

“I’d like to say to the fans who berated me that I’ve put a lot of money into the Phil O’Donnell fund and spent more than £300 in the Motherwell shop after I’d left the club,”

Levein was statistically probably the worst manager we've ever had. So much so we weren't even paying him (don't know if he's a Raith supporter).

"Statistically probably" - sounds like you've got all the answers at your fingertips. My recollection, from the outside and without the benefit of empirical research, is that Levein was helping out his local club, for free, and keeping his hand in whilst looking for a proper job, Raith were mince at the time and he didn't oversee a slump during his ten odd games in charge. You'll ken better than me though.

I do like the suggestion that he wasn't getting paid because he was pish though, rather than because Raith are a charity case. Nice.

What about Walter Smith from Scotland to Rangers (the second time)

Pretty sure Scotland aren't a top flight club side.

Our poaching of Jim Jefferies from Falkirk worked out rather well for us.

League table never lies.

Archived