Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

Aye he needs out of Lisbon, it's clear they don't think he's good enough for their first team. And he's 21 this year, he really should be playing first team football somewhere.

Wouldn't surprise me if ended up at Celtic.

I would given we already seem to have a dozen attacking midfielders, Im guessing they would want a few quid for him as well.

We're actually going for a pessimistic tone in this thread i'm sorry you didn't get the memo. He's clearly shite and will end up playing for Pumpherston juniors next season etc...

Totally bizarre tbh, Sporting fans on their forum seem unhappy hes not getting a chance

Interesting to read that he played in a deeper role against Northern Ireland, in front of the back four.  This a position he has been playing in for the Sporting B team?

Interesting to read that he played in a deeper role against Northern Ireland, in front of the back four. This a position he has been playing in for the Sporting B team?

It is, but I can't see it being his role for us without a major overhaul of the rest of the team.

It is, but I can't see it being his role for us without a major overhaul of the rest of the team.

He said he now feels comfortable in a deeper role as a 442 or in his original number 10 role in a 4231. Good if true, though I'd prefer it if he focused on becoming great at one position rather than being good at two.

Personally have no doubts about Gauld at all, think he is progressing well and have kept a very close eye on him since he went there. As far as possible anyway.

The people doubting his move or progress are simply idiots who have no clue what they're talking about. This was always going to take a lot of time.

Even if you look at him in pictures the development in his physique is very striking, he looks powerful now whereas he was just a skinny wee kid when he left here.

Edited by Peppino Impastato

He looked very good in the second half v N. Ireland. Top team material - certainly if Maloney is out of sorts (or 34)

Absolutely, there's no doubt he's a star in the making and, along with Robertson, will be Scotland's best player very soon.

Moving to a new country, new language, culture, climate, style of football and even new role in the team was always going to take a long time.

Also to a league significantly better than the Scottish Premiership and a team miles better than Celtic.

Add to that Sporting have changed manager and are currently leading the table with the chance to win the league for the first time in over a decade he was hardly going to get a look-in this season.

He is playing every week for the B team (30 appearances so far this season - only one as substitute) which is competitive football against men, very like our championship in standard.

He is also first choice for Scotland under 21's now and Sporting have knocked back several offers to take him on loan. He is progressing fine and much as you'd expect given he was a teenager less than six months ago.

Those doubting his progress simply don't know anything about football, one cursory look tells you he is progressing very well. He even is listed as 'both' footed now when you look him up on a site I use to check his progress, previously it was left, so he must be working hard on his bad foot.

Zoomers over here with no clue should just shut their mouths and leave him alone for a wee while, we will have a hell of a player on our hands very soon.

One thing I would say is if Sporting are going to loan him out at any stage, they'd be mental to send him anywhere but Portugal. He needs to keep adapting to Portugese football, life and most of all the language, so to send him to Brighton or something for a year would be mega-stupid.

But they know what they're doing with young players so he will be fine.

Edited by Peppino Impastato

Absolutely, there's no doubt he's a star in the making and, along with Robertson, will be Scotland's best player very soon.

Moving to a new country, new language, culture, climate, style of football and even new role in the team was always going to take a long time.

Also to a league significantly better than the Scottish Premiership and a team miles better than Celtic.

Add to that Sporting have changed manager and are currently leading the table with the chance to win the league for the first time in over a decade he was hardly going to get a look-in this season.

He is playing every week for the B team (30 appearances so far this season - only one as substitute) which is competitive football against men, very like our championship in standard.

He is also first choice for Scotland under 21's now and Sporting have knocked back several offers to take him on loan. He is progressing fine and much as you'd expect given he was a teenager less than six months ago.

Those doubting his progress simply don't know anything about football, one cursory look tells you he is progressing very well. He even is listed as 'both' footed now when you look him up on a site I use to check his progress, previously it was left, so he must be working hard on his bad foot.

Zoomers over here with no clue should just shut their mouths and leave him alone for a wee while, we will have a hell of a player on our hands very soon.

One thing I would say is if Sporting are going to loan him out at any stage, they'd be mental to send him anywhere but Portugal. He needs to keep adapting to Portugese football, life and most of all the language, so to send him to Brighton or something for a year would be mega-stupid.

When are you signing for Celtic Ryan?

Was that Jack Harper boy not kicking about for Real Madrid at a similar age to Gauld? where is he now again? playing for B teams or under 21s means jack shit Ryan. (excuse the pun)

Man who knows nothing about football /\

Though you're right he was, he went to Brighton to play first team football and was put straight in their development squad. Should have stayed where he was.

Strange that their top division is significantly better than ours yet their second tier is very like the Scottish Championship.

Also, using the fact that a website now lists him as two-footed as being a sign of his progress  :lol:

It's obvious that he needs to be playing for Sporting's first team as soon as possible in order to aid his development and I think most people would have expected him to feature more by now. If he wanted to play in a league similar to the Scottish Championship he would have been better off staying at Dundee United.

Strange that their top division is significantly better than ours yet their second tier is very like the Scottish Championship.

Also, using the fact that a website now lists him as two-footed as being a sign of his progress  :lol:

It's obvious that he needs to be playing for Sporting's first team as soon as possible in order to aid his development and I think most people would have expected him to feature more by now. If he wanted to play in a league similar to the Scottish Championship he would have been better off staying at Dundee United.

Simpleton, you don't think he's developing now? What do you think he does every day play the X-box?

Sporting B are better than Dundee Utd.

Also, using the fact that a website now lists him as two-footed as being a sign of his progress :lol:

Genuinely the most batshit mental football analysis I've ever seen. I can't tell whether that's a joke or not but it's hilarious

Edited by MarkoRaj