Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

Guest DAVIDB69

The problem is that once the u21s get too old their is no progression they then go into the wilderness years where is no progression and if they are lucky might be seen again internationally in their late 20s.

The likes of Armstrong and Mackay-Steven victims of this.

Was at game from half time and Ryan gauld was one of our best players. Set the tempo, some great runs from deep (quite similar to Jack wilshere). Christie, mckay and Kingsley were also good. Mcburnie made a difference but looks a bit awkward. Quite positive overall though, NI very lucky it was only 3-1.

The problem is that once the u21s get too old their is no progression they then go into the wilderness years where is no progression and if they are lucky might be seen again internationally in their late 20s.

Armstrong and GMS never suggested they'll be anything better than what they are, bit-part Celtic players. Only folk who believed differently either never watched them or were totally blinded by the hype.

Armstrong and GMS never suggested they'll be anything better than what they are, bit-part Celtic players. Only folk who believed differently either never watched them or were totally blinded by the hype.

Armstrong at 20-21 definitely looked like he could develop into an international player, he looked fantastic at United as a youngster. Just hasn't done it so far at Celtic. He's still relatively young though, plenty of time.

Armstrong at 20-21 definitely looked like he could develop into an international player, he looked fantastic at United as a youngster. Just hasn't done it so far at Celtic. He's still relatively young though, plenty of time.

He really didnt

Was at the game yesterday, Scotland were miles ahead of NI in every department, but didnt really click until we got a striker (McBurnie) on the pitch. Cummings for all his plaudits this season just cant play up front on his own. 

The guy who said Gauld was the worst on the pitch, clearly hasnt a clue. He was quiet for the 1st 20mins or so, but then bossed the game from then on, although my only criticism (and its probably more of the system, than the player) is that he dropped too deep to collect and was having to do too much donkey work. He should have spent more time attacking than defending in my opinion.

Other notable performances came from Kingsley, who I thought was superb, and flashes from McKay.

He really did... on occasion.

If I remember correctly he was sometimes accused of playing up for the cameras by utd fans? Certainly there were a few times I watched him he seemed quite an exciting prospect. Plus he won numerous player and team of the year awards

Saying they are 'victims' suggests they have been done over by the system, when in reality they just aren't good enough. GMS was playing part-time with Airdrie when he was 20, and only squeezed in a few 21's caps when he got a move. The hype around him, compared to his actually ability, has always been extremely weird, he's decent Scottish Premiership player, but he's never a player who would add anything to our national team. Armstrong is similar standard, a bit of a nothing player really.

I've always said the Under 21's is pretty pointless anyway. Doesn't do any harm to have it, but the idea that it can work as some kind of smooth progression into the senior squad is stupid.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Gauld reacts to Gordon Parks' standard doomsday merchant "we're fucking shite" article.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scotland-u21s-star-ryan-gauld-7639091

I don't agree with much that Parks has said and he's comes across as a bit of knob, but I'm not sure Gauld has to wade in here at all, especially with childish jibes about the guys career.  Very little damage done, but if I were Gauld I'd be shrugging my shoulders in true Partridge style when some arsehole from the Daily Record tries to offer his opinion on my career having watched a shitey U21 international match.

You just know Parks and others at that w**k rag will all be sitting with semi's after that. Seems to be a weird trend with journos, especially the ones on social media. They look to provoke people into a reaction then make a big song and dance when someone takes the bait.

Ryan would have been better just ignoring the guy as you said. 

Saying they are 'victims' suggests they have been done over by the system, when in reality they just aren't good enough. GMS was playing part-time with Airdrie when he was 20, and only squeezed in a few 21's caps when he got a move. The hype around him, compared to his actually ability, has always been extremely weird, he's decent Scottish Premiership player, but he's never a player who would add anything to our national team. Armstrong is similar standard, a bit of a nothing player really.

I've always said the Under 21's is pretty pointless anyway. Doesn't do any harm to have it, but the idea that it can work as some kind of smooth progression into the senior squad is stupid.

Likes of germany spain holland and even iceland don't regard u21s as pointless.....still what would they know....

Aye he needs out of Lisbon, it's clear they don't think he's good enough for their first team. And he's 21 this year, he really should be playing first team football somewhere.

Wouldn't surprise me if ended up at Celtic.

He was in the papers this morning saying the club have told him they still see him as a future first team player and turned down loan moves in January....

He was in the papers this morning saying the club have told him they still see him as a future first team player and turned down loan moves in January....

We're actually going for a pessimistic tone in this thread i'm sorry you didn't get the memo. He's clearly shite and will end up playing for Pumpherston juniors next season etc...