Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

What has St Johnstone produced lately for Scotland?Even Ayr United brought Conway out there system,and is a Scotland international.So stop running down Rangers when clearly they have done and are doing more for Scottish football right now.Ness is injured so cant play obviously,you never even brought through Davidson Livingston did.

Ness is at Stoke in the top flight,how is he over hyped?Stoke have made it into Europe,are a decent team.Punch well above there weight,you sound jealous.Just like every other fan of a provincial club in here.All you teutars give it that your the big Scotland fans,but Rangers bring more through for Scottish football than all your clubs up there and in the rest of Scottish football.If Gauld proves as good then I will be chuffed.What Ness lacked was goals,but he had everything else in his locker.And they would have come just like they did for Barry Ferguson,could not hit a barn door.And then scored into doubles went on a run before moving to Blackburn.

Never had a break down,

:lol:

Edited by Enrico Annoni

Really hope so. My heart says yes - get him in the squad now.

But then so many folk were leaping around with semis when John Fleck broke into the Rangers first team, and his career went south swiftly.

I agree than Gaud appears to be a stronger prospect than fleck though, and reports suggest he is more level-headed.

I'd say that Ryan Gauld has done more in his career so far than John Fleck. Certain parts of the press and support can overhype young players, especially at the Old Firm. Rememberwhen Mark Burchill came through at Celtic?

I wouldn't be averse to Ryan Gauld being put in the squad for the forthcoming friendlies, even if only for the experience of being in that set up. He looks astonishingly brilliant, I don't think I've seen a prospect like that in Scotland before.

I'd say that Ryan Gauld has done more in his career so far than John Fleck.  Certain parts of the press and support can overhype young players, especially at the Old Firm.  Rememberwhen Mark Burchill came through at Celtic?

I wouldn't be averse to Ryan Gauld being put in the squad for the forthcoming friendlies, even if only for the experience of being in that set up.  He looks astonishingly brilliant, I don't think I've seen a prospect like that in Scotland before.

True re the OF. Outside the old firm, who has there been in recentish times?

O'Connor, Riordan, McFadden, goodwillie...who else?

Jamie Ness is the best young player that I have saw come through Scottish football in a long time.Just a shame he is made of glass,would have broken into the Stoke team long ago.Thought he had better passing range than Adam,and was faster and as good in the air and at tackling at a lot younger age.

Eriksen was playing in a real league though,up against PSV and Feyernord Almar,good teams better than we have in this nation.So would clearly have been more ready than Gauld in the long term.Gauld needs to move to improve,even if its a championship club that will play him every week.And look at Bournemouth the age of Fraser does not count against him.And is one of the first names on the sheet doing really well.

Surely if hes made of glass thats part of his game there are loads of players that were good but lacked something. Ryan Gauld in his 1st season in the game looks like hes the real deal whens hes fouled hes bounces back up and not scared to take anybody on. Am a United fan but would have loved if Jamie Ness had come on and been a brilliant success at Stoke and then Scotland and if Gauldy continues to progress itl be brilliant

An un-Scottish like player in terms of his close control, movement and vision all in the same package and on top of the trickery, eye for goal and importantly his ability to teamwork, something that's often lacking in our skillful players. All at aged 17.

Quietly hopeful that he keeps the nut screwed, avoids any major injury, and keeps progressing.

Edited by banana

What do people (those reading this) think about John McGinn?

I think he is a smashing wee player, and would go as far to say that I reckon he'll play for Scotland.

John McGinn is an excellent, excellent player, certainly the best I've seen emerge through our youths by quite some distance. If he stays injury free and keeps his head down (seems the level headed type), he will certainly be a Scotland and English Premier League player for the majority of his career.

Ryan Gauld though? He's simply at another level, I feel. He's got it in his locker to play at any level he wants. Literally any level. The top teams in the world don't come to Dundee to scout you without good reason. A 17 year old with so much talent is a very exciting thing. I'm of the opinion that if you're good enough, you're old enough. I'd have him in the full squad right now. It will only help his progress. By the time he's 21 he could be a fully fledged international and the star player for us for over a decade.

I expect both John McGinn and Ryan Gauld to be fully fledged Scotland stars in years to come though. And if so, it's a brighter future.

Eriksen was playing in a real league though,up against PSV and Feyernord Almar,good teams better than we have in this nation.So would clearly have been more ready than Gauld in the long term.Gauld needs to move to improve,even if its a championship club that will play him every week.And look at Bournemouth the age of Fraser does not count against him.And is one of the first names on the sheet doing really well.

The Dutch league, whilst better than the SPL, isn't a million miles away in terms of quality when you remove the big three and AZ, Vitesse and FC Twente.

There's still 12 teams in the Eredivisie who I reckon aren't that different to us.

Michael Higdon for example, leaves Motherwell for more money at NEC Nijmegen, who are bottom of their league, Higdon however is certainly their star turn by a distance scoring 6 in his first 10 for a mob which contains SPL 'star turn', Victor Palsson.

put me in the good enough then old enough camp.

its a waste of time to put him in the u 21s. he is not going to learn anything in that set up that he doesnt already have. does anyone seriously think there is any reason to "test" him in the u21s now as if he is going to find himself out of his depth?

ive been going to tannadice since 1990 and he is far and away the best player i have seen come through and the merciful benefit that he seems to have a brain unlike some others in the not so distant past.

I've yet to see Gauld play a full match, but its obviously good to see so many glowing reviews of someone so young. I'm considering trying to get up to Dundee to watch United play at some point (I've never been to Tannadice itself, and they seem to have a lot of cracking young prospects). Given that we've seen various talented players such as Dorrans, Snodgrass and McCarthy go down and play at the top level, hopefully he can make a name for himself at a top team.

put me in the good enough then old enough camp.

its a waste of time to put him in the u 21s. he is not going to learn anything in that set up that he doesnt already have. does anyone seriously think there is any reason to "test" him in the u21s now as if he is going to find himself out of his depth?

ive been going to tannadice since 1990 and he is far and away the best player i have seen come through and the merciful benefit that he seems to have a brain unlike some others in the not so distant past.

Certainly the best ability wise since Billy McKinlay and Kevin Gallacher, we'll see how young Gauld develops. There is much to be learned from playing under 21's, not least that he'll know a lot of the guys, and will be more relaxed in that environment. Armstrong is captain IIRC. I don't doubt he has the temperament to handle the step up to the big team, but why rush it?

He really does look a wonderful talent. Such a clever player who can finish (as we found in our chase for top 6 last year). Destined for great things if he keeps progressing the way he is. He's probably in the right place with the U21s just now, but should be allowed his chance in the next round of fixtures if he continues to play to the standard he has so far this season.

Maybe the Evening Telegraph linking him to Real Madrid wasn't as daft as a decent number of posters in the SPL forum were saying ;)

Edited by Kyle

• 2 weeks later...

He really does look a wonderful talent. Such a clever player who can finish (as we found in our chase for top 6 last year). Destined for great things if he keeps progressing the way he is. He's probably in the right place with the U21s just now, but should be allowed his chance in the next round of fixtures if he continues to play to the standard he has so far this season.

Maybe the Evening Telegraph linking him to Real Madrid wasn't as daft as a decent number of posters in the SPL forum were saying ;)

Getting linked to big English teams today bye the BBC.Says scouts from Man Utd and Liverpool were at the Thistle game,were he set up four goals.Watched the game on Alba and he was quality was very impressed they want 6 million for him.

What has St Johnstone produced lately for Scotland?Even Ayr United brought Conway out there system,and is a Scotland international.So stop running down Rangers when clearly they have done and are doing more for Scottish football right now.Ness is injured so cant play obviously,you never even brought through Davidson Livingston did.

Cheers for the mention.

Stevie May though, who will play for Scotland.

People can easily get over-excited about young players coming through but as others have said, I genuinely believe Gauld could be something very special.

He would probably be more suited to La Liga or the Bundesliga than the EPL though should there be a big move for him in the future. It would be very refreshing seeing a Scottish player of his talent playing in one of those two leagues.

People can easily get over-excited about young players coming through but as others have said, I genuinely believe Gauld could be something very special.

He would probably be more suited to La Liga or the Bundesliga than the EPL though should there be a big move for him in the future. It would be very refreshing seeing a Scottish player of his talent playing in one of those two leagues.

Have to agree having seen the highlights from the Thistle game at the weekend. I know it was 'only Partick Thistle', but he was immense. Intelligence, awareness, deft weighting of his passes, sharpness of thought. Very hard not to get carried away.

One of the guys on SS tonight was saying 'let's home he's not another £1.5m Bolton reserve or someone who disappears off to Rotherham or some other English lower league backwater and is never heard of again.' Couldn't agree more.

Hope he stays at Dundee Utd and ideally wins something with them (maybe even the league - as unlikely as that seems now) then an £84.9m* transfer to Real Madrid, that'd do nicely.

*Not £85m, or Ronaldo will sulk