Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

There were a number of high profile clubs looked at o connor when he was in russia but were warned off by walter smith due to his raging coke and booze addictions.

#itk

ETA O Connors addictions, Smith's have remained out of the media for the most part.

Edited by invergowrie arab

I don't see there can be argument here. As others have said, the coaching he'll be receiving will be far more advanced than anything he would receive in the UK. Even if he doesn't break into Sportings first team there's always the chance he'll move on to another European club where he'll further develop different skills etc. History has shown us that people rot in the championship or at the OF. I can only hope more Scottish players in future take their chances to move abroad.

Gauld will never make it due to Ricky's Sporting opting for a "physical side with runners"

I don't see there can be argument here. As others have said, the coaching he'll be receiving will be far more advanced than anything he would receive in the UK. Even if he doesn't break into Sportings first team there's always the chance he'll move on to another European club where he'll further develop different skills etc. History has shown us that people rot in the championship or at the OF. I can only hope more Scottish players in future take their chances to move abroad.

Why is it just accepted that European football is better than Scottish football ? Why can we identify the problems but the people charged with running our national sport cannot ?

Time for wholescale changes from top to bottom. Get rid of that google eyed accountant at the SPFL for a start and get some football minded people in there.

Why is it just accepted that European football is better than Scottish football ? Why can we identify the problems but the people charged with running our national sport cannot ?

Time for wholescale changes from top to bottom. Get rid of that google eyed accountant at the SPFL for a start and get some football minded people in there.

In majority of european countries its unfortunately being proved that they are better than us. So called "lesser" european countries are making it to finals more often. Those countries club sides out perform our sides in european competition.

The SFA aren't doing anything extreme because to change the way we operate would cost a fortune and the higher ups enjoy their cushy lifestyle and bonuses too much to distribute the money to our game.

I think they should have the funds to do something. Scotland games will make them millions over a campaign on ticket sales alone. If you include merchandising and the cut that the SFA take from every level of football in the country they should be sitting on a gold mine.

Edited by PrestersKTID

Because its a combination of the both. You've got a governing body which over the last few years has done hee-haw to try to develop change, and even when change is suggested it's met with misty eyed c***s saying "it wisnae like this before".

We try to hard to look to examples like the Dutch and the Germans to find the best way forward. In reality,we should look to nations like Iceland who are heading to the Euros. They've had firm investment, a solid uptake of players from u-21 level and play summer football. Any notion of summer football usually is met with "but it wouldn't be the same as the traditional format". It's utter bullshit. We're competing against England, Spain and Germany for coverage in a league system which is dominated by one team. But still, at least you can watch a game in the freezing cold and pishing rain while wondering why crowds are so low as others sit indoors watching Barcelona, Madrid, Bayern and the EPL teams.

Because its a combination of the both. You've got a governing body which over the last few years has done hee-haw to try to develop change, and even when change is suggested it's met with misty eyed c***s saying "it wisnae like this before".

We try to hard to look to examples like the Dutch and the Germans to find the best way forward. In reality,we should look to nations like Iceland who are heading to the Euros. They've had firm investment, a solid uptake of players from u-21 level and play summer football. Any notion of summer football usually is met with "but it wouldn't be the same as the traditional format". It's utter bullshit. We're competing against England, Spain and Germany for coverage in a league system which is dominated by one team. But still, at least you can watch a game in the freezing cold and pishing rain while wondering why crowds are so low as others sit indoors watching Barcelona, Madrid, Bayern and the EPL teams.

Personally I am a traditionalist when it comes to summer football as I have too many other interests at that time when the weather is (slightly) better . As regards televising the Scottish games in summer , until the quality improves TV companies will not pay any more than they are paying just now . Also I think fewer fans will be prepared to sit inside on a nice warm day and watch on telly. ( if there is such a thing as a nice warm day in June or July !!!)

Attendances at matches wouldn't suddenly increase just because it is warmer pishing rain either. I play golf and it wasn't till September that we got a consistently warm , dry spell.

Until the authorities grow a set of balls and actually strip the game bare to start again .............., laying down a basic structure where clubs in each league get an equal share of all revenue ( each league obviously decreasing ), implement a pay cap and performance bonuses as standard for every club, have a timescale for full time teams to set up REALISTIC youth and community programmes where young players actually progress into the first team , levelling the playing field as such to introduce genuine competition ...........then tinkering about with summer football under the same misguided SPFL banner will just be a waste of time.

Edited by theoriginalhedge

Gauld is at the right place for him, regardless if Sporting have the best youth coaching or not. There will be an emphasis on technical ability rather than "toughening him up" which you know is pretty much the end game for most youth developers in the UK.

I would expect him to feature for the first team sporadically this season and then either be promoted or possibly go out on loan to a senior team next year. No reason to think he wont have a successful career - hes already shown he can comfortably play at Scottish Premiership level and, like others have said, isnt a bam which seems to be the downfall of many young Scottish players.

Agree with most of this but not so sure about the coaching at Sporting definitely being better than anything in the UK. Scotland sure, but definitely better coaching than the top few English clubs I'm not so sure. Overused example but Bale wasn't coached in a way that put the emphasis on "toughening up" rather than technical ability.

Im not convinced Bales not just a total freak and reckon he would've been the level he is regardless of the footballing country he grew up in