Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

Are Sporting Lisbon really all that? A big club in a small country whose clubs are no longer invited to the top table. I'll accept that they might have a good track record for rearing young talent and that the move was imaginative and admirable at the time. I think there's a clock ticking on it though.

They're 100 times better than a "move back home" for him. I think we need to have patience, he's got clear talent and just because he hasn't broken through as early as some had hoped we're writing him off. Bear in mind he signed a 6 year contract with Sporting so that shows you that they're expecting at least a couple of years learning before being fully integrated into the first team, IMO. They also named him in Champions League squads, albeit as emergency back up but still, Sporting know what they've got and realise there's no need to rush him through.

Plus, his potential rating in FIFA 16 is 86 so he's clearly going to be an absolute bumper in a few years time.

They're 100 times better than a "move back home" for him. I think we need to have patience, he's got clear talent and just because he hasn't broken through as early as some had hoped we're writing him off. Bear in mind he signed a 6 year contract with Sporting so that shows you that they're expecting at least a couple of years learning before being fully integrated into the first team, IMO. They also named him in Champions League squads, albeit as emergency back up but still, Sporting know what they've got and realise there's no need to rush him through.

Plus, his potential rating in FIFA 16 is 86 so he's clearly going to be an absolute bumper in a few years time.

I really hope you guys are right and that the reference to FIFA ratings is a knowing attempt at humour.

I don't see his development as being massively aided by a prolonged spell without first team football though.

The collective faith in what happens at Sporting Lisbon is touching, although I wonder how informed it really can be.

Let's hope it's not wildly misplaced and based on people being seduced by foreign glamour.

I really hope you guys are right and that the reference to FIFA ratings is a knowing attempt at humour. I don't see his development as being massively aided by a prolonged spell without first team football though. The collective faith in what happens at Sporting Lisbon is touching, although I wonder how informed it really can be. Let's hope it's not wildly misplaced and based on people being seduced by foreign glamour.

Aye, I was only joking about the FIFA thing. You only have to look at Sporting's track record and it pisses all over anything any Scottish club has ever done for youth development and as mentioned above, he is playing competitive football at the level lower than Sporting's first team.

List of players produced by Sporting:

Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid) and former Manchester United winger
Luís Figo (retired), former Barcelona, Real Madrid and Internazionale player
Nani (Manchester United)
Paulo Futre (retired), former Porto and Atlético Madrid player
Simão (Espanyol), former Barcelona, Benfica and Atlético Madrid player
Ricardo Quaresma (Porto), former Barcelona, Chelsea, Besiktas and Internazionale player
Miguel Veloso (Dynamo Kyiv), former Genoa player
João Moutinho (AS Monaco), former Porto player
Yannick Djaló (Toulouse), former Benfica player
Carlos Martins (Benfica), former Recreativo and Granada player
Silvestre Varela (Porto)
Bruno Pereirinha (Lazio)
Hugo Viana (Braga), former Newcastle United and Valencia player
Custódio (Braga), former Dynamo Moscow player
Beto (Sevilla)
Daniel Carriço (Sevilla)
André Santos (Deportivo La Coruña)
Marco Caneira (Videoton FC), former Internazionale, Bordeaux and Valencia player
José Fonte (Southampton), former Crystal Palace player
José Semedo (Sheffield Wednesday), former Cagliari and Charlton Athletic player
Rui Fonte (Benfica B), former Arsenal, Crystal Palace and Espanyol player
Nuno Valente (former Porto Champions League winner and former Everton player)
Dani (retired), who played for Ajax and Atlético Madrid
Luís Boa Morte, former Arsenal, Fulham and West Ham United player
Paíto (Skoda Xanthi), former Sion, Neuchâtel Xamax and Vaslui player
Miguel (unattached, although he only played for the youth squads before moving to Estrela da Amadora and known for playing for Benfica and Valencia)
Emílio Peixe (retired), who played for Sevilla
Hugo Porfírio (retired), who played for West Ham, Racing Santander and Benfica
Jorge Cadete (retired), who played for Celtic
Beto (retired) former Bordeaux and Recreativo player
Carlos Xavier (retired), who played for Real Sociedad
Paulo Torres (retired), who played for Salamanca and Rayo Vallecano
Hugo Porfírio (retired), who played for West Ham, Racing de Santander and Nottingham Forest
Freire (retired), who played for Celta
Houssine Kharja (Al-Arabi), former Roma, Siena, Genoa, Internazionale and Fiorentina player
Nenê (Al-Gharafa), (although he only played for the youth squads before moving to Corinthians and known for playing for AS Monaco and Paris Saint-Germain
I think it's safe to assume that Sporting know what they're doing.

Aye, I was only joking about the FIFA thing. You only have to look at Sporting's track record and it pisses all over anything any Scottish club has ever done for youth development and as mentioned above, he is playing competitive football at the level lower than Sporting's first team.

Nani (Manchester United)

Ricardo Quaresma (Porto), former Barcelona, Chelsea, Besiktas and Internazionale player

Silvestre Varela (Porto)

Bruno Pereirinha (Lazio)

Beto (Sevilla)

Daniel Carriço (Sevilla)

Marco Caneira (Videoton FC), former Internazionale, Bordeaux and Valencia player

Miguel (unattached, although he only played for the youth squads before moving to Estrela da Amadora and known for playing for Benfica and Valencia)

Hugo Porfírio (retired), who played for West Ham, Racing de Santander and Nottingham Forest

Houssine Kharja (Al-Arabi), former Roma, Siena, Genoa, Internazionale and Fiorentina player

Nenê (Al-Gharafa), (although he only played for the youth squads before moving to Corinthians and known for playing for AS Monaco and Paris Saint-Germain

Ok, no doubt at all about that being an impressive list, suggesting he has indeed gone to the right place. I hadn't realised either that he'd signed such a long contract, which is encouraging.

You've kinda convinced me, but I still want to see him doing well in their first team pretty soon though, or I'll worry about him disappearing.

As good as it is for him. I dont remember ibrahimovic , walcott bale oxlade or even sterling playing reserve team football in portugal when they were 19 or championship with hull in the case of robertson. They will have good successfull careers by anyones standards but i cant see him being a stand out player that can carry a bang average scotland team like bale does with wales or even siggurdson with iceland

Gylfi Siggurdson was on loan at Shewsbury Town from Reading when he was 19. What an odd comparison.

Ok, no doubt at all about that being an impressive list, suggesting he has indeed gone to the right place. I hadn't realised either that he'd signed such a long contract, which is encouraging. You've kinda convinced me, but I still want to see him doing well in their first team pretty soon though, or I'll worry about him disappearing.

He scored 2 goals in 5 appearances for the actual first team last year, only getting the full 90 minutes once. I reckon you'll see him make more appearances this year and I'm sure Gauld will be raring to go when his chance comes. If he hasn't progressed by the end of this year then you can perhaps question why that's the case but I really don't think we need to be worrying about him disappearing just yet.

Nani (Manchester United)
Silvestre Varela (Porto)
Bruno Pereirinha (Lazio)
Beto (Sevilla)
Daniel Carriço (Sevilla)

It's worth acknowledging as well that many of these players - notable exceptions being Ronaldo, one of the best of all time, and Figo, one of the best in the world in his prime - hadn't established themselves in the first team there at 19 either. Like Gauld they had the occasional first team appearance when they were still in their teens, but didn't hold down a place in the starting eleven until they were 20 or older.

If he's not regularly involved in first team squads next season we can start to question if he's ever going to make it there, but right now it's far better for him to be starting for Sporting B and waiting for a first team chance than going on loan to Dundee United or an English Championship team.

It's worth acknowledging as well that many of these players - notable exceptions being Ronaldo, one of the best of all time, and Figo, one of the best in the world in his prime - hadn't established themselves in the first team there at 19 either. Like Gauld they had the occasional first team appearance when they were still in their teens, but didn't hold down a place in the starting eleven until they were 20 or older.

If he's not regularly involved in first team squads next season we can start to question if he's ever going to make it there, but right now it's far better for him to be starting for Sporting B and waiting for a first team chance than going on loan to Dundee United or an English Championship team.

Indeed. Their latest export as well, Cedric Soares (who Southampton just paid about £5M for this summer), wasn't fully integrated into the first team until he was 21/22 and even that was after a loan spell to another top division Portuguese club. Gauld has plenty of time and there's no need to panic.

My company outsources some of its work to a Portuguese firm. Lad working here last wk is a big sporting fan. Says sporting are very hopeful of gauld and is talked about a lot considering in B team. New manager likes him and they are expecting him to break into first team next yr and play in their Europa league games this yr

My company outsources some of its work to a Portuguese firm. Lad working here last wk is a big sporting fan. Says sporting are very hopeful of gauld and is talked about a lot considering in B team. New manager likes him and they are expecting him to break into first team next yr and play in their Europa league games this yr

It's almost like they know what they're doing and have their shit together, amazingly. Suppose it's a case of fingers crossed.

Alright, alright.

I stand corrected. Gauld is clearly where he needs to be to develop to his full potential.

If he doesn't emerge as a world beater within five years though, I'll hold each of you personally responsible.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

As good as it is for him. I dont remember ibrahimovic , walcott bale oxlade or even sterling playing reserve team football in portugal when they were 19 or championship with hull in the case of robertson. They will have good successfull careers by anyones standards but i cant see him being a stand out player that can carry a bang average scotland team like bale does with wales or even siggurdson with iceland

This is an absolutely dreadful post.

Aye awrite mate he's relay the next messi because he's playing for a big ish team in Portugal, things don't just happen because you want them to. We are a pish footballing nation who produce pish players. Some of them are half decent playing at a half decent level but none of them NONE are top drawer.

Aye awrite mate he's relay the next messi because he's playing for a big ish team in Portugal, things don't just happen because you want them to. We are a pish footballing nation who produce pish players. Some of them are half decent playing at a half decent level but none of them NONE are top drawer.

And another.

You have to wonder at how this move is benefiting Gauld.

He was a regular for a middling side in our top tier.

He's now way down the pecking order for a big club in a relatively minor league. It's almost comparable to where someone like Scott Allan finds himself.

Unless he can make some sort of breakthrough soon, you'd imagine a move home would be better for him.

It would be a shame, as moving there was courageous and potentially valuable in terms of broadening his footballing background. However it's hard to see what he's getting now as particularly valuable, given the early progress he'd already made over here.

Can't agree MT, he will befor sure learning a hell lot more where he is then getting kicked round the park at SPFL. These teams have coaches that a great if not world class bring players through. If he doesn't make it there I'm sure he will make it somewhere else.

Making a move home to who? Celtic, Aberdeen...will that improve him, nae. Let the boy (he is still a boy) develop. He's at the best place for that at the moment.