Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

Even if it doesn't work out for him I'm sure the time he's spent in Portugal will have given him a different edge to his game, one of which he would not have got in the UK.

Scoring for winner for the B team is good, it's things like that that get you noticed.

Hopefully he'll be involved in the cups like he was last season.

• 1 month later...

You have to wonder at how this move is benefiting Gauld.

He was a regular for a middling side in our top tier.

He's now way down the pecking order for a big club in a relatively minor league. It's almost comparable to where someone like Scott Allan finds himself.

Unless he can make some sort of breakthrough soon, you'd imagine a move home would be better for him.

It would be a shame, as moving there was courageous and potentially valuable in terms of broadening his footballing background. However it's hard to see what he's getting now as particularly valuable, given the early progress he'd already made over here.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Its not at all comparable to Allan, considering Allan turns 24 this year while Gauld only turns 20. Its the next two years where his development should be judged, as outwith exceptional stars (and steroid filled English youngsters) its not that common for a 19 year old to break into the first team of such a large club.

Hes had a couple of impressive performances highlighted by coaches and managers, and is making the first team bench, it'll just take one of the players ahead of him to earn a big move abroad and he'll be pushing for it. Give him time.

As good as it is for him. I dont remember ibrahimovic , walcott bale oxlade or even sterling playing reserve team football in portugal when they were 19 or championship with hull in the case of robertson. They will have good successfull careers by anyones standards but i cant see him being a stand out player that can carry a bang average scotland team like bale does with wales or even siggurdson with iceland

Its not at all comparable to Allan, considering Allan turns 24 this year while Gauld only turns 20. Its the next two years where his development should be judged, as outwith exceptional stars (and steroid filled English youngsters) its not that common for a 19 year old to break into the first team of such a large club.

Hes had a couple of impressive performances highlighted by coaches and managers, and is making the first team bench, it'll just take one of the players ahead of him to earn a big move abroad and he'll be pushing for it. Give him time.

I hope so.

We're well into his second season out there though and it's not happened yet.

I take your point about how young he still is, but he got off to an early start and from this distance, there's a danger that he'll not be able to build on it.

I hope so. We're well into his second season out there though and it's not happened yet. I take your point about how young he still is, but he got off to an early start and from this distance, there's a danger that he'll not be able to build on it.

A 20 year old who breaks through at Sporting Lisbon will have a better career than a 17 year old who breaks through at Dundee United. Joao Moutinho v David Goodwillie if you will.

Id genuinely say he's at the biggest club of any Scottish player at the moment, and that shouldnt be forgotten. Take a moment to reflect theres a 19 year old Scot making the bench for Sporting Lisbon. The experience, coaching, and advice from the players around him should put him in a better place than playing 38 times a season next to John Rankin

As good as it is for him. I dont remember ibrahimovic , walcott bale oxlade or even sterling playing reserve team football in portugal when they were 19 or championship with hull in the case of robertson. They will have good successfull careers by anyones standards but i cant see him being a stand out player that can carry a bang average scotland team like bale does with wales or even siggurdson with iceland

Gareth Bale at 19/20 was behind Benoit Assou-Ekotto as Tottenhams left back...

Edited by RandomGuy.

A 20 year old who breaks through at Sporting Lisbon will have a better career than a 17 year old who breaks through at Dundee United. Joao Moutinho v David Goodwillie if you will.

Id genuinely say he's at the biggest club of any Scottish player at the moment, and that shouldnt be forgotten. Take a moment to reflect theres a 19 year old Scot making the bench for Sporting Lisbon. The experience, coaching, and advice from the players around him should put him in a better place than playing 38 times a season next to John Rankin

Are Sporting Lisbon really all that?

A big club in a small country whose clubs are no longer invited to the top table.

I'll accept that they might have a good track record for rearing young talent and that the move was imaginative and admirable at the time.

I think there's a clock ticking on it though.