Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

50 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Of course it is. But why would you assume that, if he came back to the UK, he'd get an English top flight gig?

I'd say he'd be a Championship player.

I dont know man, I mean maybe your watching the MLS on the regular im certainly not. So its hard to gauge his level really. Even if you were id say it would still be difficult to gauge his level.

If your judging him on the player who was at hibs a few years ago then you might be right. But what I would say is im struggling to think of a more naturally talented young player to come from Scotland in recent years. Gilmour probably but we didn't see him in Scotland. He had everything bar size and power, but he looks alot stronger nowadays.

There was a time that Gauld really looked to be going places. But was plagued by the most ridiculous run of circumstantial bad luck.

In my opinion if he can get anywhere near to being the player he looked like he was going to be. Then he's one worth keeping an eye on for sure.

The other thing is with a player like Gauld its all about confidence and form. Hes a proper creative footballer, and with the way his early career went after leaving Dundee utd it must have been difficult for him to get anything close to that.

41 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Have you actually watched him play in the MLS?

No, never. I'm basically assessing his career trajectory and judging the odds of him, at 27, moving from Vancouver Whitecaps (where he's been pretty solid, according to reports) to an EPL team, to be pretty/very low.

If I'm wrong I'll be pleased for the guy.

Where in the EPL would you see him going?

43 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

I dont know man, I mean maybe your watching the MLS on the regular im certainly not. So its hard to gauge his level really. Even if you were id say it would still be difficult to gauge his level.

If your judging him on the player who was at hibs a few years ago then you might be right. But what I would say is im struggling to think of a more naturally talented young player to come from Scotland in recent years. Gilmour probably but we didn't see him in Scotland. He had everything bar size and power, but he looks alot stronger nowadays.

There was a time that Gauld really looked to be going places. But was plagued by the most ridiculous run of circumstantial bad luck.

In my opinion if he can get anywhere near to being the player he looked like he was going to be. Then he's one worth keeping an eye on for sure.

The other thing is with a player like Gauld its all about confidence and form. Hes a proper creative footballer, and with the way his early career went after leaving Dundee utd it must have been difficult for him to get anything close to that.

Oh aye, he's certainly always had the potential to be better than he has actually been.

I'm just questioning the logic that the only reason he's not around the Scotland squad is because he's in the US.

7 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

No, never. I'm basically assessing his career trajectory and judging the odds of him, at 27, moving from Vancouver Whitecaps (where he's been pretty solid, according to reports) to an EPL team, to be pretty/very low.

Did anyone say they thought he’d get a move to the EPL?

5 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

Glad this debate has started up again…

I've a cracking idea for you, if you don't like reading opinions about Ryan gauld. Try not clicking on the thread thats titled "Ryan Gauld". Rather than expect people not to talk about him just incase you look.

43 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

I've a cracking idea for you, if you don't like reading opinions about Ryan gauld. Try not clicking on the thread thats titled "Ryan Gauld". Rather than expect people not to talk about him just incase you look.

Rawr. 

Lovely incisive pass to add to his assists. Top of the all time assist charts

Can honestly see him finishing his career there. He's on about £40k, where else is he going to get that kind of money. Far easier to stand out and become a club legend in that league as well.

He won't play for Scotland but he's probably already feeling like he's made that bed moving there in the first place

15 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Lovely incisive pass to add to his assists. Top of the all time assist charts

Can honestly see him finishing his career there. He's on about £40k, where else is he going to get that kind of money. Far easier to stand out and become a club legend in that league as well.

He won't play for Scotland but he's probably already feeling like he's made that bed moving there in the first place

Just been watching some of his goals, he looks like he's key member of the team and having a great time - little wonder when you are making a fine wage in a superb city like Vancouver.

Gauld excels in Major League Soccer from a footballing point of view. I don't think he is playing there for reasons too much different to the likes of Ruben Neves or Jota when they joined clubs in Saudi this summer, which isn't a criticism, but I can see why Steve Clarke doesn't pick him. If you were to throw Christie, Armstrong or McGinn into the MLS they'd all do very well no doubt or even for that matter Lewis Ferguson or David Turnbull.

In my view the MLS is presently and has been for a number of years at a comparable standard to the Scottish Premiership and therefore I consider Ryan Gauld perhaps on a par with a player such as Barrie McKay in terms of selection for the National Team. That might upset a few here, but honestly I think it's probably not too far away from the reality and that's basically why he hasn't been included or never been particularly close to being included.

Edited by 2426255

It's an odd one for sure. I'm not sure about those saying that Clarke doesn't want to call him up just to sit on the bench, because Gauld has said that Clarke hasn't been in touch at all.

He's probably a less athletic version of Christie, but I might be wrong about the athletic bit. 

I'd personally rate him as a lower-half EPL player but that's very subjective and hard to evidence when he's playing in the MLS. I watch at least the highlights of his games as I have fond memories of the kid who came through at United. He's not a key player for Vancouver as others have said - he's by far their best player.

Gauld always had more ability than Armstrong imho (not that I'm dissing Stu) and I rate him higher than Christie too, both of whom have racked up around 40 caps and are consistent squad members. We don't actually have all that much past them either given Fraser and Forrest aren't really options anymore.

He could/should have at least got a chance... once, and if he had I'm sure he'd be a regular, but he's not, and unlikely to be. Just a shame to be ignoring him imho.

On 12/07/2023 at 01:18, Gordopolis said:

He isn't being ignored, just isn't being selected which is an important difference. He's tearing it up in the MLS, couldn't do any more and that isn't deemed good enough. He knows what he has to do to get a call up so in that sense it's he who will decide. Simple as that.

I think he's still got a possibility of being called up but is relying on circumstances to go in his favour instead of taking it into his own hands. Ryan Christie is one year older than Gauld but has proven himself to Europa League level with Celtic and lower half EPL level with Bournemouth.

Gauld's contract runs till 2024, It's an obvious route - why not take it? If he chooses to prioritise other things in his life it's not an issue, totally respect that but you can't always have your cake and eat it.

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

I'd personally rate him as a lower-half EPL player but that's very subjective and hard to evidence when he's playing in the MLS. I watch at least the highlights of his games as I have fond memories of the kid who came through at United. He's not a key player for Vancouver as others have said - he's by far their best player.

Gauld always had more ability than Armstrong imho (not that I'm dissing Stu) and I rate him higher than Christie too, both of whom have racked up around 40 caps and are consistent squad members. We don't actually have all that much past them either given Fraser and Forrest aren't really options anymore.

He could/should have at least got a chance... once, and if he had I'm sure he'd be a regular, but he's not, and unlikely to be. Just a shame to be ignoring him imho.

This. 

It'd be great to see him get a chance, but understand why he’s not & trust that Clarke will still have eyes on him. 

Maybe one day! 

12 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Ryan Gauld has only reappeared into consciousness due to the MLS being one of a handful of men's senior leagues running atm IMHO. 

He has scored 6 goals and 5 assists in the last 8 games. That is quite a run he is on, close-season or no.

On 12/07/2023 at 01:20, Gordopolis said:

Oh aye, he's certainly always had the potential to be better than he has actually been.

I'm just questioning the logic that the only reason he's not around the Scotland squad is because he's in the US.

If we shouldn't be picking players from MLS because it's a poor standard, surely we shouldn't be picking domestic Scots for the same reason. The US overtook us at football a good twenty years or so back, although hopefully we could give them a game again now.

Clarke's presumably just settled on his squad and clearly doesn't like to make many changes, which you can't criticise considering our overall progress under him. Gauld's unfortunate that he was still struggling to establish himself in Portugal when Clarke was establishing the players he liked, but it'd take a monumental run of injuries before Gauld got a call-up at this point. He's so off Clarke's radar that he's not even stayed in touch.

He'd be daft not to learn the words to Oh Canada, eh.

25 minutes ago, immcinto said:

He has scored 6 goals and 5 assists in the last 8 games. That is quite a run he is on, close-season or no.

That's fair enough, but remember Johnny Russell scored 12 goals in 10 games in for Kansas across October and November 2021 so he's got a bit to go yet before he can be spoken about in the same company.