Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

Just now, Gordopolis said:
9 hours ago, Satoshi said:
Clarke is an excellent manager, and I'm sure there's a reason for it, but I'm still a little bit disappointed he isn't communicating with fringe but could make it players like Gauld and Wallace. I don't see what harm it brings keeping them on side in case of call offs.

How do you know he hasn't communicated with them?

Don't know about other player but Gauld did say along the lines of, I've not had any contact since Strachan was manager. Thats not a quote btw🤣 but it was something like that, I cant be bothered looking it up.

Gauld getting paid £40k/week in a 'circus league'? I think he'll take it.
As for our league being competitive? Are you living in a parallel universe where other clubs outside the OF ever stand a chance of winning ever again?
The MLS has had 5 different winners in the last 5 years - that's competition.

Have you ever considered reading on reflecting on the actual words in a post rather just picking out one or two and guessing at the context around them?

Gauld is earning a lot of money, which is great for him personally, but it has come at the cost of playing in a circus league which makes him even less likely to get a Scotland call-up. He's valued his income over career progression, and who can blame him when he earns loads of money to live in a brilliant city and play low stakes football for a living.

Competition isn't just about winning leagues, it's about there being genuine consequences when you win, lose or draw, which is far more the case in Scotland than in MLS.

2 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Clarke has called up 41 players in the last year with Gauld and Wallace nowhere to be seen, how far into the fringes does Clarke need to be speaking to players for you not to be disappointed?

Maybe they are 42nd and 43rd. Certainly both have a case to be included ahead of some of those selected.

If a squad is 23 players, would staying in touch with 50 hurt? Gives you a backup for each position.

As I said I am sure there is a reason he does it, but Murray Wallace is a repeated player of the year for his team in the championship and other players from that league play regularly. For Gauld other MLS players have been called up in the past. If I was either of them I would be a bit frustrated by it, and when we do contact them they may not be too bothered (or in Gaulds case have booked a holiday somewhere else).

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:
11 hours ago, Satoshi said:
Clarke is an excellent manager, and I'm sure there's a reason for it, but I'm still a little bit disappointed he isn't communicating with fringe but could make it players like Gauld and Wallace. I don't see what harm it brings keeping them on side in case of call offs.

How do you know he hasn't communicated with them?

Because it's exactly what the article says.

6 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

Maybe they are 42nd and 43rd. Certainly both have a case to be included ahead of some of those selected.

If a squad is 23 players, would staying in touch with 50 hurt? Gives you a backup for each position.

As I said I am sure there is a reason he does it, but Murray Wallace is a repeated player of the year for his team in the championship and other players from that league play regularly. For Gauld other MLS players have been called up in the past. If I was either of them I would be a bit frustrated by it, and when we do contact them they may not be too bothered (or in Gaulds case have booked a holiday somewhere else).

Because it's exactly what the article says.

The fact of the matter is you've no idea if they are 42nd and 43rd, it's possible that there's 9 players who are 42-50 that he does keep in contact with yet you're deciding to be disappointed in him for something you are pretty much guessing about on the basis of Gauld not being contacted.

2 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

The fact of the matter is you've no idea if they are 42nd and 43rd, it's possible that there's 9 players who are 42-50 that he does keep in contact with yet you're deciding to be disappointed in him for something you are pretty much guessing about on the basis of Gauld not being contacted.

That's right yes, certainly I think both players should be at least 42nd and 43rd if not higher.

And I hope he is staying in contact with fringe players.

And all of my original post still stands.

• 8 months later...

On Saturday, July 31, 2021, Whitecaps FC acquire Scottish midfielder Ryan Gauld via transfer from Portuguese side SC Farense. Gauld agreed to a deal through 2024 and will join the club as a Designated Player. 

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/whitecaps-fc-acquire-scottish-attacking-midfielder-ryan-gauld

I think there could be a squad opening potentially for him, but aged 27 the window is shortening. I don't see it as likely for the rest of this campaign, but maybe a window of opportunity could appear during 2024 depending what happens in particular with the players he's competing with such as Ryan Fraser, Stuart Armstrong and others like Ben Doak or David Turnbull at club level and what Ryan Gauld decides to do at the end of his current contract.

If he were to move back to Europe after his time with the Whitecaps I think that would strengthen his hand but I'm sure I've read he won't chase the Scotland dream. 

You can never say never, I've not actually thought about it, but who knows what is going to happen in the future. I'm not looking at forcing my way into the Scotland set-up. If it happens, it happens.

Ryan Gauld

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/9694413/scotland-ryan-gauld-canada-cap-exile/

Edited by 2426255

If he feels settled in his new home, and really fancies international football, he'd be daft not to switch to Canada; he's clearly getting nothing here.

Hopefully not, but in a couple of years time he could be one of Canada's top players at a World Cup they've already qualified for, while Scotland's players are on holiday again.

Most of the biggest transfers out of MLS are young players, not surprisingly I suppose, but there have been some high profile transfers with players his age, the biggest probably being Almiron to Newcastle. If Ryan wanted to he could probably get a fairly decent European gig. If he did he would be in and about the Scotland squad I would think.

If Gauld was playing in the UK he'd probably be fairly regular in the squad, but he's not.

I can certainly understand why Clarke doesn't want to drag a player all the way from the West coast of Canada to sit on the bench, but it would have been good to give him a chance at some point to see what he could offer.

If he was desperate to play for Scotland, he'd return, but given he's earning £40k a week to play fitba in one of the best places on earth to live, I can understand why he might be reluctant to come back.

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

He'll be a regular on our way to win the next World Cup surely? Boy being local and all that, all things relative.

Probably end up playing a game in his home stadium in Vancouver with him watching from the stands.

9 hours ago, ArabFC said:

If Gauld was playing in the UK he'd probably be fairly regular in the squad, but he's not.

Would he? He was a regular in the Portuguese top flight at the start of Clarke's reign and never made a squad, so I'm not sure why being in the UK would suddenly elevate him.

He played one season in the Portuguese top flight, and it was during covid for a relegation threatened team. If he'd stayed out there and kept doing it in serious competitive football then he'd have given himself a better chance.

26 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Because English top flight > Portuguese top flight 

Of course it is. But why would you assume that, if he came back to the UK, he'd get an English top flight gig?

I'd say he'd be a Championship player.

Edited by Gordopolis

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

Of course it is. But why would you assume that, if he came back to the UK, he'd get an English top flight gig?

I'd say he'd be a Championship player.

Have you actually watched him play in the MLS?