Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

An interview with him here - https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/other-football/ryan-gauld-reveals-five-year-25275028

A slight change of tune from previous interviews. Seems much less bothered about a call up now than before. I sense a tad of annoyance that he wasn't given a shout in June too, so perhaps this "not bothered" line is an act. 

56 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

An interview with him here - https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/other-football/ryan-gauld-reveals-five-year-25275028

A slight change of tune from previous interviews. Seems much less bothered about a call up now than before. I sense a tad of annoyance that he wasn't given a shout in June too, so perhaps this "not bothered" line is an act. 

Ach it was a good article and he just seems sensibly pragmatic. I would like to hear from Clarke as to why he hasn't picked Morgan or Gauld. It can't be because he doesn't rate the American leagues, given his propensity for picking players from the Scottish top flight. 

You can say what you like about the relevant qualities of the leagues, but the Scottish Premiership is consistently competitive and quite mentally demanding which are the sort of attributes that can be useful in international football for a team like us. The MLS is a circus league in comparison, most of the games have almost no stakes whatsoever, since 14 of the 28 teams make the play-offs and there is no relegation. There is nowhere near the same level of expectation from the supporters as well, it has more of a "day out" feel until you reach the play-offs.

The reason you won't hear Clarke telling you why he hasn't picked them is that the reason is almost certainly that he doesn't think they're good enough, and nothing is gained by airing that (think of the reaction to George Burley's comments on Kirk Broadfoot). Morgan barely made any impact on the Scottish Premiership, and Gauld's had one good season in a European top flight in the last nine years. It's hardly top end players we're turning down here.

8 hours ago, velo army said:

Ach it was a good article and he just seems sensibly pragmatic. I would like to hear from Clarke as to why he hasn't picked Morgan or Gauld. It can't be because he doesn't rate the American leagues, given his propensity for picking players from the Scottish top flight. 

Ill be honest, I've not watched any of their games but I know both are doing well. I've always liked Gauld as a player and his attitude to adversity is absolutely remarkable. He comes across as a really good guy.

I agree clarkes not going to come out and say why their not picked, unless maybe asked directly.

But given were now playing with wingers I dont think its unimaginable that one or both may be called up in future. I know Gauld isn't primarily a winger, but he has and can play there. Im not sure where Morgan plays these days, given his goal record it wouldn't surprise me if he's been playing up front.

Clarke is an excellent manager, and I'm sure there's a reason for it, but I'm still a little bit disappointed he isn't communicating with fringe but could make it players like Gauld and Wallace. I don't see what harm it brings keeping them on side in case of call offs.

9 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Clarke is an excellent manager, and I'm sure there's a reason for it, but I'm still a little bit disappointed he isn't communicating with fringe but could make it players like Gauld and Wallace. I don't see what harm it brings keeping them on side in case of call offs.

Clarke has called up 41 players in the last year with Gauld and Wallace nowhere to be seen, how far into the fringes does Clarke need to be speaking to players for you not to be disappointed?

On 17/10/2022 at 11:16, craigkillie said:

You can say what you like about the relevant qualities of the leagues, but the Scottish Premiership is consistently competitive and quite mentally demanding which are the sort of attributes that can be useful in international football for a team like us. The MLS is a circus league in comparison.

Gauld getting paid £40k/week in a 'circus league'? I think he'll take it.

As for our league being competitive? Are you living in a parallel universe where other clubs outside the OF ever stand a chance of winning ever again?

The MLS has had 5 different winners in the last 5 years - that's competition.

How do you know he hasn't communicated with them?