Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

I would take Gauld over anyone based in Scotland.
Scottish football has had an utter battering in Europe this season. The standard is pish.

Fair play for replying with this when Gauld's team have just lost to a lower league Canadian side.

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

What a flying start he's made. I know it's only 4 games or something, but it makes you wonder if he could/should have had a crack at a tougher league in Europe this season.

First league start last night after 4 sub appearances while he got up to fitness. 2 goals and 2 assists so far in these games. And of course another 2 goals in the game where his side were humiliatingly dumped out of the Canadian Cup by some jobber outfit.

I don’t think there’s any denying he could have got a better move than Vancouver this summer. I also don’t think he’s totally removing himself from the Scotland picture by moving out there either. We picked Johnny Russell for years when he was playing in the MLS, and if Gauld keeps up this form you’ll imagine he’ll still eventually get his call up.

With Stu Armstrong and James Forrest ruled out for the upcoming three games and John McGinn out of the game against Denmark you'd have thought this would be his chance, however Scotland would have to work a miracle to get him across considering Vancouver Whitecaps have a game on the same night we play Moldova. Circumstances have really worked against Ryan Gauld, story of his career you might say.  

29 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

First league start last night after 4 sub appearances while he got up to fitness. 2 goals and 2 assists so far in these games. And of course another 2 goals in the game where his side were humiliatingly dumped out of the Canadian Cup by some jobber outfit.

I don’t think there’s any denying he could have got a better move than Vancouver this summer. I also don’t think he’s totally removing himself from the Scotland picture by moving out there either. We picked Johnny Russell for years when he was playing in the MLS, and if Gauld keeps up this form you’ll imagine he’ll still eventually get his call up.

I agree.  It's obviously easier to call up players already established, but it's also true that Miller continued to be capped whilst playing for the very same team as Gauld, in 2012 and 2013.

We seem to have a very insular view of world football - Henderson and Hickey barely seem to get a mention outwith the various message boards, as well as Gauld, Russell, and Morgan.

23 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

We seem to have a very insular view of world football - Henderson and Hickey barely seem to get a mention outwith the various message boards, as well as Gauld, Russell, and Morgan.

Do any players get a mention outside of message boards? Where else are Scotland squads being discussed?

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Do any players get a mention outside of message boards? Where else are Scotland squads being discussed?

In Hell. To work out how best to torture us next.

In the media, and to be fair AVFTT did mention Hickey for Scotland. Presumably the red tops also included a throwaway sentence about his Scotland potential in an article linking him with Celtic.

Ryan Gauld has been in the MLS Team of the Week (there's 27 teams in the MLS) for the last 3 weeks running and he's only started the last game - the other two he came on at half time, as he gets match-fit.

Vancouver have won all 3 of those games (Gauld MoM in them all) having only won 3 of their 18 games before that.

He also scored 2 in that Canadian cup tie referred to above - no idea how seriously they treat that competition.

Clarke is taking the piss not giving him his chance!

21 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Ryan Gauld has been in the MLS Team of the Week (there's 27 teams in the MLS) for the last 3 weeks running and he's only started the last game - the other two he came on at half time, as he gets match-fit.

Vancouver have won all 3 of those games (Gauld MoM in them all) having only won 3 of their 18 games before that.

He also scored 2 in that Canadian cup tie referred to above - no idea how seriously they treat that competition.

How easily can he be called up when Vancouver Whitecaps don't have an international break? There is no way he isn't on Steve Clarkes radar - but it seems like it would be complicated. Would the SFA have to pay Vancouver to borrow Ryan Gauld?

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

How easily can he be called up when Vancouver Whitecaps don't have an international break? Very.

There is no way he isn't on Steve Clarkes radar - but it seems like it would be complicated. It isn't.

Would the SFA have to pay Vancouver to borrow Ryan Gauld? No.

On 31/08/2021 at 09:26, ArabFC said:

MoM again in Vancouver’s latest win. Just 1 assist this time - must try harder!

f**k knows how Gauld hasn’t been called up yet. He’s such an intelligent player. Always knows how to find space and always has an eye for a key pass. f**k knows how he didn’t get a better move than Vancouver Whitecaps but I guess he might’ve just went for the nice lifestyle in an amazing city. Having watched Farense a lot due to Gauld he really did carry them on his back. To put it politely the rest of the Farense side looked pish in comparison. I’ve not been able to catch much of him at Vancouver Whitecaps but seems to be doing the same there. His g/a tally so far is insane for how little minutes he’s played. Needs to be in the next squad. I’d like to see if playing Gauld behind Adams would work  

7 hours ago, candycelt said:

f**k knows how Gauld hasn’t been called up yet. He’s such an intelligent player. Always knows how to find space and always has an eye for a key pass. f**k knows how he didn’t get a better move than Vancouver Whitecaps but I guess he might’ve just went for the nice lifestyle in an amazing city. Having watched Farense a lot due to Gauld he really did carry them on his back. To put it politely the rest of the Farense side looked pish in comparison. I’ve not been able to catch much of him at Vancouver Whitecaps but seems to be doing the same there. His g/a tally so far is insane for how little minutes he’s played. Needs to be in the next squad. I’d like to see if playing Gauld behind Adams would work  

Aye I was thinking more or less the same. He's streets ahead of his teammates. Either he moves at the end of the season or Vancouver recruit better players around him.

Gauld is creative and takes up good positions. His corner kicks are dangerous and he's excellent in the air. There isn't anyone in the squad who offers what he does.

He simply has to be in the next squad.

Really should have been called up. I thought that maybe it was due to travel restrictions, but then saw all the European based players that were involved in last night’s USA v Canada game. You just need to watch any game of the past season and a half that he’s played to know that he should be in our squad.

I’m convinced that Him, Gilmour and McGinn linking up would go a long way to sorting our goal problems. 

There were a few times in the past couple of games where gilmour had no options to pass forward because no one was making space, forcing him to pass sideways or back instead. Gauld is the type of player that’d constantly be creating options for him.

Aye I was thinking more or less the same. He's streets ahead of his teammates. Either he moves at the end of the season or Vancouver recruit better players around him.
Gauld is creative and takes up good positions. His corner kicks are dangerous and he's excellent in the air. There isn't anyone in the squad who offers what he does.
He simply has to be in the next squad.
The dangerous in the air thing is pleasantly surprising for such a short guy. Is that something that's just emerged since his move, or was he scoring headers at Farense too?