Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

15 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Vancouver is better than signing for some diddy EFL team like Barnsley.

Is it f**k. Moving to a shite league is obviously way worse than moving to the best league in the world. Very disppointing move from Gauld. My interest in his progress basically ends now, as he has given up on a crack at becoming a top level player. 

Do you mean The Championship or the Scottish Premier League - I wouldn't consider either the best league in the world.
Well as one hasn't existed for years and the other has Arbroath and Partick Thistle in it, you're probably right.

18 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

In no regard you mean then.

Not sure what's going on here, you asked if it was a fair statement to say that Fleck's career has gone better than Gauld's. I said that Fleck has played more top level football so his has gone better. 

So aye, it's a fair statement. 

52 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Have the careers of Ryan Christie, John McGinn, Stuart Armstrong, David Turnbull, Callum McGregor and Billy Gilmour gone better so far?

No they haven't, gaulds had a better career than all of them put together.

Edited by BingMcCrosby

On 18/07/2021 at 16:05, No_Problemo said:

What is even the point in being a second tier side in America then - no promotion, no relegation - sounds fascinating!

There's an obvious joke to be made about [insert middling club here].   But the whole point of being a second tier side in the US is that you are the development side for one of the top tier sides.  The farm system, if you will.  The fans of whichever top tier team it is will probably follow their farm team as well.  

It's pretty clear though that circumstances have a significant bearing on careers. It just hasn't worked out for Gauld - It's not necessarily down to him. You have to imagine the interest from the EPL isn't that strong and understandably so as he isn't really playing at a high level. 

He's not really young anymore, not thrived at Sporting Lisbon and is crushing it at a fairly low European level. I mean from that perspective a move to Vancouver Whitecaps makes good sense. 

Edited by 2426255