Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

11 hours ago, greenockraver said:

Its a big decision considering the depth in the midfield positions but between him and armstrong, gauld needs to be given some time in the qualifiers in march at least

He would be competing for the supporting attacker role rather than one of the three midfielders. 

36 minutes ago, velo army said:

He does seem to be playing well enough, but I wouldn't say we're exactly crying out for another midfielder. If he was playing at a higher level and was putting in similarly stand-out performances then aye, but being a stand-out for a team at the bottom of a league not much better than the Scottish Prem isn't irrefutable proof that he's better than what we have. 

It’s much stronger than the Scottish league. Benfica, Braga, Sporting Lisbon, Porto. 

8 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

Yes, he is an attacking player  and we really should play with two of them behind the striker so there is room for him in the squad.

After fraser christie Armstrong, there's definitely a chance of a spot and for me between Turnbull/Gauld

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
17 minutes ago, woof! said:
It’s much stronger than the Scottish league. Benfica, Braga, Sporting Lisbon, Porto. 

Rangers have won head-to-heads against three of those clubs in the last 18 months.

TBF Rangers are also much stronger than the Scottish Premiership...

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
19 minutes ago, woof! said:

Rangers have won head-to-heads against three of those clubs in the last 18 months.

I thought they drew twice with Benfica?

41 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
56 minutes ago, woof! said:

Rangers are on a different level to the rest of the SPFL currently.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Whereas Porto are on the same level as Belenenses and Familicao?

Oh come on, how many would Porto, Sporting, Braga or Benfica take off Kilmarnock and every other team bar two? They have at least twice as many good teams as us and that’s a conservative estimate. 

Another assist for Stuart Armstrong in a top league.

I like Gauld and it's good to hear he is performing well and is being linked with bigger moves, but I don't see how he could be picked when we have Fraser, Armstrong, Christie who are all competing for one place and have done the business for Scotland already.

Club Elo isn't perfect but it's probably the best measure we have of a league's strength. Portugal bests Scotland by 1512 to 1349 which is a decent amount. Belenenses are roughly equivalent to Hibs. I'm not sure a top player for Hibs should be an automatic squad member in our strongest position. He may have qualities which warrant inclusion, but merely being a standout for Belenenses shouldn't be enough.

I think Armstrong is now in the same bracket as Robertson, Tierney, McGinn and McTominay.  
He's probably our most in-form player going by club form. Been excellent whenever I've seen him.

I think I'd prefer Armstrong in McGinn's role rather than as a second striker, and you can probably interchange them based on the opposition. I don't think we would've done as well against Serbia with Armstrong, or as well against Slovakia with McGinn in that role, and might've been better with Armstrong against Israel.

I always get the sense that Clarke doesn't totally rate or trust Armstrong, which I don't really understand. He doesn't seem to get the amount of game time that I think his ability deserves, and I can't exactly put my finger on why. I'd have said he was a perfect Clarke attacker, since he has high work rate, excellent game intelligence and a direct and relentless style.

Edited by craigkillie

33 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Club Elo isn't perfect but it's probably the best measure we have of a league's strength. Portugal bests Scotland by 1512 to 1349 which is a decent amount. Belenenses are roughly equivalent to Hibs. I'm not sure a top player for Hibs should be an automatic squad member in our strongest position. He may have qualities which warrant inclusion, but merely being a standout for Belenenses shouldn't be enough.

Gauld is at Farense, who are rated about halfway between Aberdeen and Livingston.