Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

Have we ever had a player good enough that they were approached to represent a higher-rated nation?

You occasionally hear about countries who'd have been able to put together the backbone of a decent side if their best players hadn't been nicked by other (usually European) nations.

England wanted Oli Burke before we capped him.

12 hours ago, Rabinho said:

England wanted Oli Burke before we capped him.

I imagine they did.  But given the Oli Burke timeline, I expect he'd get called up, they'd watch him in the camp, then ship him back to wherever they found him in a packing crate once they realised what they had.

Have we ever had a player good enough that they were approached to represent a higher-rated nation?

You occasionally hear about countries who'd have been able to put together the backbone of a decent side if their best players hadn't been nicked by other (usually European) nations.

All those above plus James McCarthy, Ray Houghton, Owen Coyle and Tommy Coyne. All born in Scotland and went on to play for Ireland.

On 18/09/2020 at 22:21, Marshmallo said:

Starting to think Gauld could be at a distinct advantage for the upcoming campaign. He's been playing behind closed doors for years.

I know it's besides the point, but some of the finishing from his teammates in that clip is scandalously poor.

20 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Mmmmmaybe

Although the Lawman did play for the Italian League , with maybe JOE BAKER , John Charles against our league years ago

Sorry , forgot about the Irish Scots and Stuart McCall

Did I mention Joe Baker ?

Edited by ewan14

4 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

All those above plus James McCarthy, Ray Houghton, Owen Coyle and Tommy Coyne. All born in Scotland and went on to play for Ireland.

I'd say we missed out on McCarthy and there should be some responsibility on the SFA for this.

Did Scotland miss out on Coyne, Coyle and Houghton though? I was too young to remember who was around at the time but looking it up:

Coyne wasn't capped until he was 31 and at the time Scotland had McCoist, Durie, Mo Johnston etc. So was he a Big miss?

Coyle was capped at youth level for Ireland but while slightly younger would still have been competing with the same players as above.

Houghton might have been more of a miss as he played at a higher level than the above but he also would have been competing against Souness, Strachan, McStay, Bett and latterly McAllister, would he have been a cert in the Scotland team in the mid eighties???? I don't know how good he actually was so I can't say for certain.

1 hour ago, ahemps said:

I'd say we missed out on McCarthy and there should be some responsibility on the SFA for this.

Did Scotland miss out on Coyne, Coyle and Houghton though? I was too young to remember who was around at the time but looking it up:

Coyne wasn't capped until he was 31 and at the time Scotland had McCoist, Durie, Mo Johnston etc. So was he a Big miss?

Coyle was capped at youth level for Ireland but while slightly younger would still have been competing with the same players as above.

Houghton might have been more of a miss as he played at a higher level than the above but he also would have been competing against Souness, Strachan, McStay, Bett and latterly McAllister, would he have been a cert in the Scotland team in the mid eighties???? I don't know how good he actually was so I can't say for certain.

Nah. McGeady and McCarthy we missed out on and very sore ones imo, McCarthy would be first choice right now we don't have a midfielder like that and he's quality, but the others just wurnae good enough for Scotland believe it or not.  We had much better players. 

44 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
18 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

James McCarthy.

Nonsense, much better midfielders than that arsehole

Nah that's pish, he'd walk into our team.

We have literally no defensive holding type midfielders at all except Ryan Jack who's fuckin mince, McCarthy is class, hugely experienced, tremendous passer of the ball, intelligent, protects his CB's, positionally and tactically very intelligent, brilliant at recycling and retaining possession.  Quality player.

If not for injury he'd be one of Everton's best players still and could play for a top European side like Sevilla or whatever.  Excellent player, really sore one to miss out on.

Btw he has nearly 250 EPL games with a two year injury thrown in and is still the right side of 30, we've got nobody anywhere near those numbers.

Him and McTominay would be excellent balance and would allow big McSauce to wander.  A really sore one to miss out on, he's miles and miles better than the likes of Calum McGregor.

See if we got to the final against Norway or whatever, away from home, McCarthy is literally the first name on the teamsheet.

The balance and protection he gives you is invaluable, and his composure and experience, and he is a fantastic passer of the ball so he helps you keep the ball which is so important in the game like that. 

If you don't rate him you just don't know what you're talking about. Roberto Martinez used to w**k off over him all the time and said he was the only player at his club (Wigan at the time) that could play for Barcelona or someone like that. And he now manages the world's number one ranked national side, that was his opinion of McCarthy.  Really sore one.

I've followed his career very closely actually. First choice in first division at 15, promoted with them at 17, wins YPOTY for the first division, goes up wins YPOTY in the SPL, moves down to the EPL at 18 and pretty much straight in the team and never looked back. 

As I say if you don't rate him you just don't have a scooby what you're talking about. 

McCarthy wouldn't make our current team, we have better midfielders, in fact James MccArthur is better and could easily play defensive midfield, in fact Billy Gilmour could also, but he will develop more box to box. We will agree to disagree but Scotland don't miss McCathy.

As for Coyne and Coyle I'm litterly still pissing myself

30 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

I've followed his career very closely actually. First choice in first division at 15, promoted with them at 17, wins YPOTY for the first division, goes up wins YPOTY in the SPL, moves down to the EPL at 18 and pretty much straight in the team and never looked back. 

As I say if you don't rate him you just don't have a scooby what you're talking about. 

Never looked back

He went to Everton and career looked to be on meteoric rise, next stop Man u or something

However stagnated and gone well backwards since then

31 minutes ago, Binos said:

Never looked back

He went to Everton and career looked to be on meteoric rise, next stop Man u or something

However stagnated and gone well backwards since then

Out for two and a half years after one of the most horrific leg breaks in English football history you mean.  See what I mean?  You just don't know what you're talking about. I don't know why I bother.