Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

Of course everyone develops at different rates, and no one should write off Gauld.

However, he is the same age as Anthony Martial (born 11 days apart), so you would hope he could get himself in the Sporting first team squad by the end of the season.

Edited by Lex

Yeah if Gauld doesn't measure up to Anthony Martial then he's a total failure tbh

Exactly. How many folk had even heard of Martial before he signed for Man U? For me, Martial is an example of just how quickly a 'Meh, he'll struggle to be a top player' type can suddenly shoot into the stratosphere in a matter of months.

I laugh at all the comments about Ryan ONLY playing for Sporting's B team. This is a team competing in a league probably as good as the Scottish Championship at the very least.

As with most top European sides he will be learning awareness , working on sharpness, fitness, strength, stamena and even if he doesn't make the grade at the top level , he will still be streets ahead of any Scottish coached player of the same age.

Added to that, he will be able to speak a foreign language and have a nice tan !

Knowing his family and upbringing though , I am sure he has the temperament and of course the ability to prove a lot of people wrong.

Of course everyone develops at different rates, and no one should write off Gauld.

However, he is the same age as Anthony Martial (born 11 days apart), so you would hope he could get himself in the Sporting first team squad by the end of the season.

Are there any other footballers the same age to whom he could be compared? Presumably all of them are on the same level as Martial at the moment too?

:lol:

There's times when I wonder if you really are one of the best trolls on here or that you're that stupid.

A much overlooked attribute in a footballer. It's what stopped Real Madrid signing Steven Fletcher I heard.

Definitely ! It's amazing the positive psychological effect a tan has on some people ..........So much that half of Glasgow's women actually pay for the privelige ! 8)

Fletcher just used the tan as an excuse for the papers . True story was that he had no actual experience of being a groundsman !

Surely the longer Gauld stays in Lisbon the better for him and Scotland. Coaching, lifestyle, the general environment gives him the chance to develop a career. Can't remember a Scottish player - whatever age or stage of their career - coming back a poorer player after a stint abroad. What's worrying is that so few of our players are getting the chance. It's an exception when it happens. Our players attract no attention at all.

Taking the chance as much as getting the chance. I mine Riordan had the opportunity to go to Kaiserslautern, who were a very decent Bundesliga team at the time but decided to park his arse on the Celtic bench for a few years. The 'small town mentality' is strong in Scottish football.

Surely the longer Gauld stays in Lisbon the better for him and Scotland. Coaching, lifestyle, the general environment gives him the chance to develop a career. Can't remember a Scottish player - whatever age or stage of their career - coming back a poorer player after a stint abroad. What's worrying is that so few of our players are getting the chance. It's an exception when it happens. Our players attract no attention at all.

Gary O'Connor?

Taking the chance as much as getting the chance. I mine Riordan had the opportunity to go to Kaiserslautern, who were a very decent Bundesliga team at the time but decided to park his arse on the Celtic bench for a few years. The 'small town mentality' is strong in Scottish football.

More like getting the chance, taking the chance AND not being a bam. Garry O'Connor - megabam - took the chance to move to Russia when he could probably have gone to either half of the old firm. Clearly he made a right arse out of it and the rest of his career though.

Edited by Gordopolis

More like getting the chance, taking the chance AND not being a bam. Garry O'Connor - megabam - took the chance to move to Russia when he could probably have gone to either half of the old firm. Clearly he made a right arse out of it and the rest of his career though.

Complete nonsense. He's now caretaker manager of Selkirk at the ripe old age of 32. He's made it m8.

If I recall O'Connor actually did fairly well in Russia but got home sick and went to Birmingham.

Think he started fairly well before dropping out the side. That move, and the money it brought, probably ruined his career.