Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

The MLS is a very good, technical league. Anyone who disagrees with that clearly hasn't watched much of it. Gauld and Russell are flying in it at the moment. Both are heavily involved in the making and scoring of lots of goals. Something we've been a bit short of lately. Why would we not give them a go? 

Just now, Jimi Shandrix said:

The MLS is a very good, technical league. Anyone who disagrees with that clearly hasn't watched much of it. Gauld and Russell are flying in it at the moment. Both are heavily involved in the making and scoring of lots of goals. Something we've been a bit short of lately. Why would we not give them a go? 

That might all well be true but it’s never in a million years the same level as Serie A.

1 minute ago, eez-eh said:

That might all well be true but it’s never in a million years the same level as Serie A.

I never said it was. It's a decent league and i'll leave it at that. If you haven't watched much of it, try it. You might enjoy it.

11 hours ago, Glennie said:

i mean if the standard in mls is that good then dozens of the players would be getting bought by epl, serie A clubs every years

There are literally dozens moving to Europe every year. A quick transfer search will show you that. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Soccer_transfers_2020

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Soccer_transfers_2021

Teams like Lille, Anderlecht, Roma, Salzburg and Monchengladbach have all signed players, these are clubs who are fairly regular in the Champions league. And plenty Swiss, Dutch and Portuguese clubs are also in this market.

Along with Weston McKennie and Tyler Adams who are regular players for Juventus and RB Leipzig then it is without doubt a potential market for good players. Rarely do you see the top clubs (so called super league clubs) gambling on players, they can all afford the finished article so players like McKennie find their way to Juve via the likes of Schalke.

The MLS minimum wage has been improving every year and they will be able to hold off the likes of smaller clubs from Europe a bit longer which will be improving their league.

It may not be Serie A standard but it is not mickey mouse either. 

58 minutes ago, ahemps said:

There are literally dozens moving to Europe every year. A quick transfer search will show you that. 

Teams like Lille, Anderlecht, Roma, Salzburg and Monchengladbach have all signed players, these are clubs who are fairly regular in the Champions league. And plenty Swiss, Dutch and Portuguese clubs are also in this market.

Along with Weston McKennie and Tyler Adams who are regular players for Juventus and RB Leipzig then it is without doubt a potential market for good players. Rarely do you see the top clubs (so called super league clubs) gambling on players, they can all afford the finished article so players like McKennie find their way to Juve via the likes of Schalke.

The MLS minimum wage has been improving every year and they will be able to hold off the likes of smaller clubs from Europe a bit longer which will be improving their league.

I don't think I said it was either I was talking about coaches that been in both leagues and players comparing it to each other,and it wasn't just Pirlo 

Also there is another different interview he did about it that is different to the one above 

Already said as well about players moving to play in champions league they got one at Jack Hendry team as well in Belgium 

1 hour ago, ahemps said:

theres two transfers to English side there Derby county and Burton albion

tbh i quite like watching mls highlights but the standard is nowhere near epl or serie A. The odd tidy player, aye

Edited by Glennie

I like Ryan Gauld as a player. He should be in our national team squad. But the fact he’s been in MLS for 10 minutes and he already arguably in the top 5 best players in that league tells you about the standard of that league. 

1 hour ago, ahemps said:

Yeah, that's a bit misleading to be fair. There are players moving to Europe, but it's not like there are floods of players going to Champions league teams. Most of the MLS players going out to Europe seem to be along the lines of Christian Ramirez to Aberdeen 

From the 2021 Selection,

• Red Bull Salzburg, Borussia Moenchengladbach, Roma.
  • Heerenveen,  Lens, Antwerp, Genk, Elche, Venezia.
  • Hearts, Hibernian, Swansea, Barnsley, Burton Albion, Aberdeen.
  • AGF Aarhus, Wurzburger Kickers, OB, Admira Wacker, Shkupi, Ado Den Haag, Hammarby, Olimpia Ljubljana, Almeria, St Polten, Bayern Munich II, FC Lugano, Locomotive Tblisi, Panetolikos, Zeleziarne Podbrezova, Lillestrom, Karlsruher,, Jong PSV.

I haven't watched the league and although it's nicely packaged with big crowds and great stadiums I haven't seen any evidence that it's a better quality of league than the English Championship and I've looked. 😁

Edited by 2426255

• 2 weeks later...

They were second bottom when he joined, half way through their season and they’ve now qualified for the playoffs for the first time in 4 years. I was surprised that he went there, but at this rate, he could end up getting a move to a top league sooner rather than later - he’s quickly become one of the best players in the MLS.

Hope he gets a call up soon, too, as I think he’d provide something different from the other attacking midfielders/forwards in the squad. I watched their game last night and he was as tenacious in defence as he was creative in attack.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Gauld scores the goal that takes Vancouver into the play-offs:

Certainly enjoying himself over there. 

Yeah why on earth did he go there? Getting paid a fortune in a beautiful city in front of big crowds who are treating him like a superstar. No brainer if you ask me.

One thing that could be interesting is that the US season finishes quite early so he could potentially sign for a European team on loan. Might not work this season given his registration has moved already. Regardless I'm sure there will be some asking the question.

Hopefully Ryan Fraser’s decision to leave the squad will have created the opportunity for Clarke to give Gauld a try. The guy has had loads of interviews where he’s expressed how much he wants to play for Scotland. He would play a similar position to Fraser, but also has other attributes. Probably Christie and Armstrong would be ahead of him for that position - especially after their performances last night, but it’d be worth having a look at him and he also ticks the box of someone that is chomping at the bit to play for Scotland.

Johnny Russells Sporting Kansas City take on Ryan Gaulds Vancouver Whitecaps in the MLS playoffs tonight. ScotsAbroad interview with Johnny Russell where the standard of the MLS is discussed as well as Johnny Russells thoughts on the Scotland National Team. Nothing groundbreaking, but an okay listen while you're doing the washing up.

Edit: I can move this to the Johnny Russell thread if anyone is really arsed. It's indirectly related to Ryan Gauld but probably in the wrong thread.

Edited by 2426255

• 3 months later...

The MLS restarts for Ryan Gauld on Saturday and depending how his luck is he could be in with a shout of being involved as our attacking midfield positions currently look bare with David Turnbull and Ryan Christie injured, Ryan Fraser potentially out of favor and James Forrest out of form leaving only Stuart Armstrong and John McGinn. 

If we look to continue with the 3421 then we'll need more than just those two. Still 4 weeks till the game is scheduled anyway, just a thought. Something for the Ryan Gauld aficionado's to get their teeth into! 😁

Edited by 2426255