Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

2 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Could you judge the level of the MLS by seeing how a player who 'didn't look up to much' for Scotland  is tearing it up over there at Sporting KC and therefore maybe not read too much into the goals and assists that Ryan Gauld is racking up in the same league when calling for him to be put into the Scotland squad? Is that maybe too sensible an idea. 👀

No, but Gauld is 5 years younger and plays slightly behind the two strikers, so might be an idea to include him considering we'll have to unlock that Moldovan defence. They of course didn't sit as deep as the Faroes did, but I was suggesting that he was only worth considering given the suspensions and the gaps likely to be present in the squad. The Farense departure, after a good season in Portugal, was also fraught with controversy I think, fairly sure they felt he was contracted for another year. Russell wouldn't start ahead of Adams/Fraser, not sure in the value of bringing him along at this stage when we know what he offers and so far from what we've seen it wasn't that great at international level. 

14 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Are people genuinely trying to argue MLS isn’t a high enough standard to be considered for Scotland?

No, the reason it is an asterisk is because the midfield is one of our strongest assets and we've got strength in depth, therefore it is of course worth trying to balance out whether a stand out performer in the US vs someone not quite standing out in the EPL etc is a risk worth taking. I think with Christie/Dykes out for the first game we might see Clarke go with a slightly larger squad this time (if the 26 man squad is still allowed?). Of course Gauld (or indeed Russell) might not fancy flying halfway around the world to sit on the bench which I wouldn't be surprised to find out is the reason that they're not often in contention. 

8 hours ago, Clown Job said:

Are people genuinely trying to argue MLS isn’t a high enough standard to be considered for Scotland?

Well, what Scottish players are over there at the moment or in recent years and would they be in contention to play for Scotland? Danny Wilson, Stuart Findlay, Johnny Russell, Lewis Morgan. In recent years: Sam Nicholson (Bristol Rovers), Gary Mackay Steven (Hearts) and Chris Cadden (Hibernian). 

I think that is a fair estimation of the league: Somewhere around top 6 SPL, bottom half/middle English Championship or top half League 1. Which also agree with Paul Gerald's good article, below. It would suggest Ryan Gauld is maybe around the same level as Ryan Christie which I would also agree with, so good enough for Scotland, but not something to be getting hard over.

https://groundhopperguides.com/how-do-mls-teams-compare-to-english-teams/

Here is a list of players to have moved from the MLS to the English Premier League, not a long list suggesting the players in the MLS aren't seen to be that good. 

image.png.e86ea54294c010f6048008a61af585d4.png

Brian McBride, Brad Guzan, Brad Friedel, Eddie Johnson and Clint Dempsey have all retired while players such as Stern John accessed the EPL via promotion with a Championship side.

Edited by 2426255

On 18/10/2021 at 10:58, 2426255 said:

Well, what Scottish players are over there at the moment or in recent years and would they be in contention to play for Scotland? Danny Wilson, Stuart Findlay, Johnny Russell, Lewis Morgan. In recent years: Sam Nicholson (Bristol Rovers), Gary Mackay Steven (Hearts) and Chris Cadden (Hibernian). 

I think that is a fair estimation of the league: Somewhere around top 6 SPL, bottom half/middle English Championship or top half League 1. Which also agree with Paul Gerald's good article, below. It would suggest Ryan Gauld is maybe around the same level as Ryan Christie which I would also agree with, so good enough for Scotland, but not something to be getting hard over.

https://groundhopperguides.com/how-do-mls-teams-compare-to-english-teams/

Here is a list of players to have moved from the MLS to the English Premier League, not a long list suggesting the players in the MLS aren't seen to be that good. 

image.png.e86ea54294c010f6048008a61af585d4.png

Brian McBride, Brad Guzan, Brad Friedel, Eddie Johnson and Clint Dempsey have all retired while players such as Stern John accessed the EPL via promotion with a Championship side.

We had this discussion on here a few weeks ago regarding the MLS. Have you tried watching any of it yet? I still think it's miles better than anything here and on a par with bottom half of EPL. Your spreadsheets are lovely don't get me wrong but Sky Football (ch 403) or Freeview (ch 422) may teach you more. Johnny Russell's goal was lovely wasn't it? He is playing very well just now.

57 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

We had this discussion on here a few weeks ago regarding the MLS. Have you tried watching any of it yet? I still think it's miles better than anything here and on a par with bottom half of EPL. Your spreadsheets are lovely don't get me wrong but Sky Football (ch 403) or Freeview (ch 422) may teach you more. Johnny Russell's goal was lovely wasn't it? He is playing very well just now.

Yes, maybe you're right and no amount of reading can substitute for actually watching MLS games.

The problem is that I'm only interested in the Scotland National team hopefuls that play in the MLS and not the league itself. The other issue would be watching the English Championship and League 1 to accurately compare it and I simply don't have the time to do all of that sadly which is why I looked at other resources and asked the question of the knowledgeable posters on here.

Yes, great goal and he is impressing - perhaps even more than Ryan Gauld?  I will try to catch a few MLS games between now and the Scotland's March playoffs. 🤞

Edited by 2426255

On 20/10/2021 at 10:52, Jimi Shandrix said:

We had this discussion on here a few weeks ago regarding the MLS. Have you tried watching any of it yet? I still think it's miles better than anything here and on a par with bottom half of EPL. 

yer havin a giraffe mate, bottom half of the championship maybe

17 hours ago, Glennie said:

meh, I'm sure you're right. I don't watch enough EPL to know mainly due to it being eye-bleedingly shite. Anyway back on point. Should Gauld get a chance? Yes, and I'd give Johnny Russell a shot as well. Much better than Christie/Evans.

17 hours ago, Glennie said:

Read some coaches putting it on a par with Seria A in Italy in terms oft overall quality,and some who were good in Italy are finding it tough

If this is true then don't see why we wouldn't select players out off it Gauld Elliott Russell 

Also remember USA humping us 5 1 over there with most of the players they selected that night all playing in the states

16 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

meh, I'm sure you're right. I don't watch enough EPL to know mainly due to it being eye-bleedingly shite. Anyway back on point. Should Gauld get a chance? Yes, and I'd give Johnny Russell a shot as well. Much better than Christie/Evans.

Who is Evans?

I'm wondering if the continued Gauld exclusion might have more to do with Covid/quarantine than form.

1 hour ago, General dissaray said:

Read some coaches putting it on a par with Seria A in Italy in terms oft overall quality,and some who were good in Italy are finding it tough

If this is true then don't see why we wouldn't select players out off it Gauld Elliott Russell 

Also remember USA humping us 5 1 over there with most of the players they selected that night all playing in the states

MLS players would be getting poached left right and centre if so

On 18/10/2021 at 10:57, Big Fifer said:

No, but Gauld is 5 years younger and plays slightly behind the two strikers, so might be an idea to include him considering we'll have to unlock that Moldovan defence. They of course didn't sit as deep as the Faroes did, but I was suggesting that he was only worth considering given the suspensions and the gaps likely to be present in the squad. The Farense departure, after a good season in Portugal, was also fraught with controversy I think, fairly sure they felt he was contracted for another year. Russell wouldn't start ahead of Adams/Fraser, not sure in the value of bringing him along at this stage when we know what he offers and so far from what we've seen it wasn't that great at international level. 

No, the reason it is an asterisk is because the midfield is one of our strongest assets and we've got strength in depth, therefore it is of course worth trying to balance out whether a stand out performer in the US vs someone not quite standing out in the EPL etc is a risk worth taking. I think with Christie/Dykes out for the first game we might see Clarke go with a slightly larger squad this time (if the 26 man squad is still allowed?). Of course Gauld (or indeed Russell) might not fancy flying halfway around the world to sit on the bench which I wouldn't be surprised to find out is the reason that they're not often in contention. 

True , but Gauld did not appear to be in contention when he was in Portugal

34 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

Americans are playing football all over the world have been for a long time but they like to play players from there own league young guy beside Elliott is a USA int why Findlay only played 7 times this year

i mean if the standard in mls is that good then dozens of the players would be getting bought by epl, serie A clubs every years