Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

What style of football was he asked to play?

I said it possibly reflects the role. 

By what I saw in the brief time he was at Hibs was that he just didn't look happy on the pitch . Whether that is down to tactics or how he was welcomed generally at Hibs ,  who knows . 

Also Hibs might not have been Ryan's first choice of loan move at that particular time. 

Hmm... So when Gauld does well it's down to him but when he's poor it's the fault of the club?

Interesting to see everyone putting Vancouver's turn around down to Gauld and not giving any credit to the midfielder they spent eight times as much on in the same week.

Gauld would be in direct competition with the second striker and McGinn. 

Would be really interesting to see him playing off of Dykes or playing McGinn's role. 

I'd definitely rate him ahead of Christie and Fraser given how much more he has to his game. 

I've watched the laddy all the way from his debut at United, aside from his spell at Hibs he's been class and quite frankly anyone arguing against that doesn't know the first thing about football. 

9 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Would be really interesting to see him playing off of Dykes or playing McGinn's role. 

I'd definitely rate him ahead of Christie and Fraser given how much more he has to his game. 

I've watched the laddy all the way from his debut at United, aside from his spell at Hibs he's been class and quite frankly anyone arguing against that doesn't know the first thing about football. 

If he is class then how come he is playing in the MLS and hasn't played for Scotland yet?

15 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Gauld is a more similar type of player to Christie than he is to Fraser. Christie came into the last set of games in really good form for Bournemouth but he didn't deliver enough for me - although did inject a bit of urgency in coming on against Israel.

I consider that if Christie continues to play well for Bournemouth I think Clarke will stick with him, regardless of Scotland performances when called up, at the expense of Gauld.

Russell was regularly involved in Clarke's earlier squads so don't think the distance in travelling for squads is a major issue but perhaps a contributing factor with Covid restrictions etc. 

Anyway long winded way of saying I agree Gauld deserves a call-up....

I'd forgotten that Clarke was being asked about including Gauld in the Euro 2020 squad, despite him never having been capped.

I take it he just doesn't rate him, for whatever reason, but maybe this is also a side-effect of the death of friendlies? I don't think we've had a proper one since Clarke took over, so it makes sense that he'd try to keep the same squad together and limit changes. I don't think any of us miss the days of dreary meaningless midweek games against equally mediocre European opposition, but constant competition does rather limit the scope for experimentation.

(I'm not counting the games before the Euros, as they were preparation matches for the tournament squad)

Scotland head coach Steve Clarke says difficult to fit Farense player in. Scotland head coach Steve Clarke says Farense's Ryan Gauld is unfortunate to have missed out on the Euros squad, but that his competition for a place was just too stiff.

That might be the reason? It's either that or maybe the Clarke family has held a grudge against the Gauld family for the last 500 hundred years. In any case Johnny Russell would make more sense given his recent form in the MLS and the fact that he's been in the squad before. 

Scores again yesterday. I'm the same as most here, no idea of the relative quality of the MLS but he's likely worth considering for this squad given the suspensions. Regardless, going by his social media, it looks like he's having an absolutely brilliant time out there. Fair play to him. 

5 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

Scores again yesterday. I'm the same as most here, no idea of the relative quality of the MLS but he's likely worth considering for this squad given the suspensions. Regardless, going by his social media, it looks like he's having an absolutely brilliant time out there. Fair play to him. 

Johnny Russell's goal (in the same match) and recent form is better to be fair.

3 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Johnny Russell's goal (in the same match) and recent form is better to be fair.

True, but we've actually seen Russell in a Scotland shirt before (in, admittedly, weaker sides) and he didn't look up to much. 

55 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

no idea of the relative quality of the MLS but he's likely worth considering for this squad given the suspensions. 

Could you judge the level of the MLS by seeing how a player who 'didn't look up to much' for Scotland  is tearing it up over there at Sporting KC and therefore maybe not read too much into the goals and assists that Ryan Gauld is racking up in the same league when calling for him to be put into the Scotland squad? Is that maybe too sensible an idea. 👀

Edited by 2426255

49 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Could you judge the level of the MLS by seeing how a player who 'didn't look up to much' for Scotland  is tearing it up over there at Sporting KC and therefore maybe not read too much into the goals and assists that Ryan Gauld is racking up in the same league when calling for him to be put into the Scotland squad? Is that maybe too sensible an idea. 👀

Well it's difficult to judge solely on playing MLS when he also ripped up the Portuguese Top Flight for a season before moving to the MLS. Bad players don't become one of the best players in Portugal then earn £40,000 a week moves. Gauld is something different to what we have and the type we actually need against teams such as the Faroes or Moldova trying to break them down

13 minutes ago, tartanbrush said:

Well it's difficult to judge solely on playing MLS when he also ripped up the Portuguese Top Flight for a season before moving to the MLS. Bad players don't become one of the best players in Portugal then earn £40,000 a week moves. Gauld is something different to what we have and the type we actually need against teams such as the Faroes or Moldova trying to break them down

The case against him says Sporting didn't really see him as part of their plans, He was free to leave Farense for a low or nominal transfer fee and apparently no team from one of the top 5 leagues really wanted him enough to fight with Vancouver and to date Steve Clarke hasn't capped him. I wouldn't object to him getting a chance and I'm not anti Gauld I just don't really get the constant calls for him.

It's fan/media opinion versus the opinion of Sporting Lisbon, The big 5 leagues and Steve Clarke. Maybe that's harsh.