Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

At present Ryan Gauld isn't doing enough to dislodge his competition meaning either Armstrong, Christie, McGinn et al have to decline or Ryan Gauld has to up his game further, simple as that.

Armstrong has been absolute dug meat for Scotland for well over a year. 

42 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Armstrong has been absolute dug meat for Scotland for well over a year. 

I'm indifferent as to whether we choose Armstrong or Gauld. In the last year to September 2020 Armstrong has played under a third of the minutes available in a Scotland shirt so it isn't like he is a stick on regular anyway -  but it's not you or I that Gauld has to convince is it? 😂 and is it really worth all this fuss? I'd say no.

This conversation is on a par with a debate over having Kenny McLean or John Fleck in the squad lol.

Edited by 2426255

The way I see it Gauld isn't a like for like for some of these guys mentioned, he brings something different. He brings penetration and final balls in the the last 3rd of the pitch, he can find the killer pass. He can play as a creative number 10 or play wide left where he can cut in. We currently only have Turnbull as a creative 10 or Fraser as a wide left options, Turnbull up until the weekend has been quite poor so far and Fraser can't get of Newcastle's bench. Gauld gives us the option to change to a 4-2-3-1 formation where he would probably only be in direct competition with Ryan Fraser for Wide Left

16 minutes ago, tartanbrush said:

The way I see it Gauld isn't a like for like for some of these guys mentioned, he brings something different. He brings penetration and final balls in the the last 3rd of the pitch, he can find the killer pass. He can play as a creative number 10 or play wide left where he can cut in. We currently only have Turnbull as a creative 10 or Fraser as a wide left options, Turnbull up until the weekend has been quite poor so far and Fraser can't get of Newcastle's bench. Gauld gives us the option to change to a 4-2-3-1 formation where he would probably only be in direct competition with Ryan Fraser for Wide Left

That's probably not the way Steve Clarke sees it.

Edited by 2426255

40 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

No he sees no way of squeezing him into a setup which involves only 3 attacking players, one of which McGinn has nailed and the others are strikers. In our current system Gauld is behind McGinn, Armstrong and Turnbull

I haven’t seen anything of Gauld in the past couple of years but he can’t be have been playing any worse Christie, Armstrong or Fraser have been recently. Also, a creative 10 is something we just don’t have at present.

Dykes and McBurnie have played numerous games for Scotland in that period and he’s got to be a better option than them, surely?

8 minutes ago, Mr Tourette said:

I haven’t seen anything of Gauld in the past couple of years but he can’t be have been playing any worse Christie, Armstrong or Fraser have been recently. Also, a creative 10 is something we just don’t have at present.

Dykes and McBurnie have played numerous games for Scotland in that period and he’s got to be a better option than them, surely?

The latter part of your post makes absolutely no sense. He's not a striker and Dykes has generally been good for us. You've also said you haven't seen anything of him, so how on earth can you know how he has been playing compared to other guys?

9 minutes ago, Mr Tourette said:

He plays a different position to them. And Dykes is a good player for Scotland. McBurnie isn’t, but he was a regular in the Barclays at the time, so worth a try. 

I’m not saying he plays in the same position. I’m just thinking he can’t be of a lower standard than Dykes and McBurnie.

Dykes is, at a push, sometimes effective for Scotland, but far from “good”. His first touch is abysmal, meaning he most often can’t fulfil the role he is in the side to do, which is hold the ball up and bring others in

6 hours ago, 2426255 said:

The bottom line is he has never been selected under Steve Clarke, Ryan Gauld wasn't picked in his 30 man preliminary squad for Euro 2020 and didn't pick him in this squad where he only selected 24 players.

It's in Steve Clarkes best interest to pick the best squad to get the results he needs to keep his job and so I'm happy to defer to his judgement on this. At present Ryan Gauld isn't doing enough to dislodge his competition meaning either Armstrong, Christie, McGinn et al have to decline or Ryan Gauld has to up his game further, simple as that.

4 hours ago, 2426255 said:

but it's not you or I that Gauld has to convince is it? 😂

2 hours ago, 2426255 said:

If you don’t think there’s any point in disagreeing with a managers squad selection then maybe a forum for debating football isn’t for you.

This isn’t the North Korean national team.

17 hours ago, eez-eh said:

If you don’t think there’s any point in disagreeing with a managers squad selection then maybe a forum for debating football isn’t for you.

This isn’t the North Korean national team.

Haha, you'd love that. I've made it eez-eh for you though -  I already said I'll leave if we beat Israel by 3 goals or more so you may get your wish. Are you not ignoring me anyway? 🤦‍♂️

To address your comments I don't really want to debate who should be in or out, I'm more interested in figuring out who will be selected for the squad, the matchday team and how Steve Clarke will set up tactically and also watch the team develop over time, that's why I follow the team and support it, not for pointless debate around who 'should' be called up and who we 'should' be beating.

Edited by 2426255

33 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Haha, you'd love that. I've made it eez-eh for you though -  I already said I'll leave if we beat Israel by 3 goals or more so you may get your wish. Are you not ignoring me anyway? 🤦‍♂️

I’ve never said anything about ignoring you, you complete fantasist.

34 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

To address your comments I don't really want to debate who should be in or out, I'm more interested in figuring out who will be selected for the squad, the matchday team and how Steve Clarke will set up tactically and also watch the team develop over time, that's why I follow the team and support it, not for pointless debate around who 'should' be called up and who we 'should' be beating.

So to clarify - you want the debate on the Pie and Bovril website to only ever concern the specific topics that you want to debate.

I think you might be lost.

1 minute ago, eez-eh said:

So to clarify - you want the debate on the Pie and Bovril website to only ever concern the specific topics that you want to debate.

I think you might be lost.

I'm here originally to discuss, get ideas from others about what Steve Clarke is doing with the National team and give my own ideas on what he is trying to do. I'm not pushing for anything except for Steve Clarke to remain in his job. 

Debating isn't really my preference - but it's not much effort so if there aren't any good threads I'll have fun making the maniacs on here climb down 🪜 or showing them up.

On 04/10/2021 at 12:10, The Algebraist said:

So....

• Whitecaps in their 11 since Gauld arrived - W6 D4 L1
  • Whitecaps in their 11 previous to Gauld arriving - W1 D5 L5

I think it's safe to say he's having an impact.

I think it's safe to say Ryan has had an impact at every club he has played for apart from Sporting Lisbon where he was the victim of internal cub politics between manager and president. 

6 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

I think it's safe to say Ryan has had an impact at every club he has played for apart from Sporting Lisbon where he was the victim of internal cub politics between manager and president. 

He had a big impact at Hibs right enough.

9 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

He had a big impact at Hibs right enough.

Does that not possibly reflect more the style of football he was asked to play at Hibs ?  The clubs at which he thrives are the ones confident enough to let him have a free reign in the middle/ front end  of the park . 

6 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Does that not possibly reflect more the style of football he was asked to play at Hibs ?  The clubs at which he thrives are the ones confident enough to let him have a free reign in the middle/ front end  of the park . 

What style of football was he asked to play?