Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

11 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:
3 hours ago, velo army said:
Aye I was thinking more or less the same. He's streets ahead of his teammates. Either he moves at the end of the season or Vancouver recruit better players around him.
Gauld is creative and takes up good positions. His corner kicks are dangerous and he's excellent in the air. There isn't anyone in the squad who offers what he does.
He simply has to be in the next squad.

The dangerous in the air thing is pleasantly surprising for such a short guy. Is that something that's just emerged since his move, or was he scoring headers at Farense too?

Aye he was. It's something he's added to his game over the years. 

11 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

The dangerous in the air thing is pleasantly surprising for such a short guy. 

Theres a striker down South whos deadly in the air despite being under 6ft, and I've completely blanked on his name. 

Similar thing to Gauld, in that your height doesn't matter if you're always free of a marker.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Theres a striker down South whos deadly in the air despite being under 6ft, and I've completely blanked on his name. 

Similar thing to Gauld, in that your height doesn't matter if you're always free of a marker.

Its impossible to always be free of a marker. So headers have to be won, being taller makes that easier.

Some wee guys being good at headers doesn't change this. If they were taller they would be better at headers.

2 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Its impossible to always be free of a marker. So headers have to be won, being taller makes that easier.

Some wee guys being good at headers doesn't change this. If they were taller they would be better at headers.

Height obviously helps a great deal but there’s enough examples of not so tall players having a great leap on them and thus getting a fair share of headed goals.

On 06/09/2021 at 01:02, candycelt said:

f**k knows how Gauld hasn’t been called up yet. He’s such an intelligent player. Always knows how to find space and always has an eye for a key pass. f**k knows how he didn’t get a better move than Vancouver Whitecaps but I guess he might’ve just went for the nice lifestyle in an amazing city.

From an article on the BBC Sport site recently, he basically said he went where he felt he was most wanted - a few of the bigger clubs in Portugal aparently made approaches but I guess first team football wasn't guaranteed, whereas Vancouver Whitecaps actively pursued him and it seems are keen to build a team around him. Despite the move to Sporting not working out as he'd hoped, he's always come across as quite philosophical about the move in interviews, talking about the quality of life he has had by moving overseas and how the disapointments have made him a more rounded player (and person), which is quite refreshing tbh. Clearly that intelligence on the pitch extends into his life off the pitch.

Been to Vancouver a few times to see relatives and he'll definitely get a great quality of life there as well.

It's mad that he didn't get a call-up while at Farense so I genuinely don't think moving the the MLS will harm his chances of playing for Scotland anyway. Maybe I'm being cynical, but I almost suspect he'll get more attention from Clarke and whatever scouting system he has now that he is playing in an english-speaking country and league. If Johnny Russell can get regular call ups to the Scotland squad playing for Kansas City, then why not Gauld?

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/09/2021 at 22:30, RandomGuy. said:

While in the Championship for Dunfermline (I know, shite standard etc) Nicky Clark was fantastic at being free in the box, not the biggest of blokes or the most aggressive but I think he's probably scored more headers than most Dunfermline players I can think off. His positioning was very good at that level. 

Having good timing, and knowledge as to where to make your runs is better than being over 6 foot but standing in the wrong place. 

56 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

MLS isn't a great league at the moment, I thought the general consensus was that it is comparable to around lower Championship/ upper League 1 level. 

https://groundhopperguides.com/how-do-mls-teams-compare-to-english-teams/

Maybe not a great league but there's some proper players in there. I'd be confident of an MLS select giving any league select a decent game

2 minutes ago, the snudge said:

Maybe not a great league but there's some proper players in there. I'd be confident of an MLS select giving any league select a decent game

Aye, that's all well and good but the question is how should Ryan Gauld be judged if he is playing in a lower half Championship/ upper League 1 standard? Some might say no wonder he is thriving as the MLS is too easy for him. If I said that he is playing at a similar level to Ross Stewart at Sunderland I don't think that would go down too well with the Gauld fanboys on here but it's maybe not a million miles from the truth.

11 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Aye, that's all well and good but the question is how should Ryan Gauld be judged if he is playing in a lower half Championship/ upper League 1 standard? Some might say no wonder he is thriving as the MLS is too easy for him. If I said that he is playing at a similar level to Ross Stewart at Sunderland I don't think that would go down too well with the Gauld fanboys on here but it's maybe not a million miles from the truth.

Except it would be, the MLS has a lot of far better players and higher wage bills than clubs in League one (who are themselves inflated relative to their quality due to the economic madness of the lower leagues).

Due to the wage caps in the US there are some pretty average players alongside very good ones. Whatever their relative strengths, there is no serious doubt that Gauld is having higher calibre opposition than Ross Stewart. 

He absolutely should be called up, and he almost certainly will be soon. I suspect similar to Hanley his position might be that he doesn't want to travel to stay on the bench, which isn't the best attitude for an uncapped player, but has probably delayed his call up thus far.

2 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Except it would be, the MLS has a lot of far better players and higher wage bills than clubs in League one (who are themselves inflated relative to their quality due to the economic madness of the lower leagues).

Due to the wage caps in the US there are some pretty average players alongside very good ones. Whatever their relative strengths, there is no serious doubt that Gauld is having higher calibre opposition than Ross Stewart. 

I'm not knowledgeable regarding the MLS, where in your opinion does the MLS fit when compared to European Leagues?

2 hours ago, Satoshi said:

I suspect similar to Hanley his position might be that he doesn't want to travel to stay on the bench, which isn't the best attitude for an uncapped player, but has probably delayed his call up thus far.

I don't agree with that theory based partly on what Ryan Gauld said in the press 2 months ago.

“No, there’s not been any contact from that side,” he said.

"I know as much as you if they’ve been keeping an eye on me or not but definitely watching the likes of Andy Robertson and Stuart Armstrong, who I played with at Dundee United, seeing them play at the Euros, especially the performance they put in against England, to have the chance to be apart of something like that in the future is definitely in my objectives.

"It gives me the ambition to drive on here and reach the highest level I can so hopefully it can one day be a possibility.”

"It is always going to be an ambition as long as I’m playing,” Gauld, who joined his Whitecaps team-mates for training for the first time on Tuesday, said.

"I had a good run last season but unfortunately I wasn’t included for the Euros but you’ve seen that there’s boys playing here in MLS going to the national team. "Johnny Russell has been called up various times from Kansas so there’s absolutely no reason why I can’t be included in the future, as long as I can get a high level of play and make an impact on the team here. "I don’t see why it couldn’t be possible.”

He added: “I spent some time with Andy when he had his time off and he was telling me how brilliant it was and the brilliant group that the team has got. "Any chance to be involved in that, it brings the whole nation together, to be a part of that would be really special. “As long as I’m still playing, that's what I’m going to keep fighting for."

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/international/ryan-gauld-sets-scotland-call-up-objective-after-mls-move-but-no-steve-clarke-talks-held-3333511

Edited by 2426255

14 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I think someone posted the stats earlier about Vancouvers form pre Gauld and since he joined. He's clearly making a difference. We call up players from the SPFL and the MLS is arguably a better standard. Didn't John McGinn get a call up when playing in the Scottish Championship? 

It wouldn't surprise me if Gauld gets picked up by a German club. They seem to like US based players every now and again. 

2 minutes ago, the snudge said:

I think someone posted the stats earlier about Vancouvers form pre Gauld and since he joined. He's clearly making a difference. We call up players from the SPFL and the MLS is arguably a better standard. Didn't John McGinn get a call up when playing in the Scottish Championship? 

It wouldn't surprise me if Gauld gets picked up by a German club. They seem to like US based players every now and again. 

Yes, we call up championship and SPFL players to the weak spots in our team. Attacking midfield is a position of strength so how does that scan?

Edited by 2426255

Just now, 2426255 said:

Yes, we call up championship and SPFL player mostly to fill the weak spots in our team. Attacking midfield is a position of strength so how does that scan?

He adds even more strength to a strong position. Adds to competition, players up their game. Its a win win. All I'm saying is if he keeps up the form he's in then I don't think he can be left out for too much longer. 

Some of our attacking players are in the Championship and SPFL so I don't quite see your point regarding that. 

It's great to have so many quality options rather than some of the actual average players we've had to contend with in the last 2 decades

14 minutes ago, the snudge said:

Some of our attacking players are in the Championship and SPFL so I don't quite see your point regarding that. 

Ryan Christie is the only attacking player playing in the Championship or SPFL that plays regular first team minutes for Scotland and is playing in a position where we are strong already. The bottom line is that circumstances aren't working for Ryan Gauld to be called up so he will have to do more or be patient. 

Edited by 2426255