Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

Lewis Morgan (who is younger than Gauld and actually has full Scotland caps) had a good season for Inter Miami in the MLS last year. 38 appearances six goals as a winger.
There was no clamour for him to get called up to the euro squad and he wasn’t. He almost certainly won’t be in the squad next month either. Wrongly in my opinion, but he is a bit out of sight out of mind playing over there.
If he can’t get in the discussion the chance of Gauld getting his first cap while playing in Canada are slim to none. Unless he comes back to Europe in the next couple of years the mini Messi will likely retire uncapped.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Lewis Morgan (who is younger than Gauld and actually has full Scotland caps) had a good season for Inter Miami in the MLS last year. 38 appearances six goals as a winger.
There was no clamour for him to get called up to the euro squad and he wasn’t. He almost certainly won’t be in the squad next month either. Wrongly in my opinion, but he is a bit out of sight out of mind playing over there.
If he can’t get in the discussion the chance of Gauld getting his first cap while playing in Canada are slim to none. Unless he comes back to Europe in the next couple of years the mini Messi will likely retire uncapped.

Maybe because Steve Clarke doesn't play with wingers and there were better options in the other positions he may have been able to play. For where Gauld plays Clarke already had a lot of players he trusted in there. With members of that squad getting older and having not really done much in a Scotland shirt in recent times (Stuart Armstrong I'm looking at you) then I think places could open up for the likes of Morgan and Gauld.

Clarke was picking Russell for the squads fairly regularly pre-pandemic IIRC. The US had a 2 week quarantine policy at the time for any international players returning there so anyone playing there was unlikely to be picked.
I do think there are negative aspects to playing in the MLS but I don't think the past year should be used as evidence for that.
Still possible for Gauld to get in the squad.

6 hours ago, charger29 said:

Clarke was picking Russell for the squads fairly regularly pre-pandemic IIRC. The US had a 2 week quarantine policy at the time for any international players returning there so anyone playing there was unlikely to be picked.
I do think there are negative aspects to playing in the MLS but I don't think the past year should be used as evidence for that.
Still possible for Gauld to get in the squad.

Tbh I dont think he will ever get called up under Clarke, regardless of how he plays.

And playing in Canada certainly isn't going to help.

Im sure he knows this himself and has chosen the lifestyle and money option. Which is fair enough really.

Edited by BingMcCrosby

Aye well when it comes to Ryan Gauld, his own personal aspirations don't count for much on here. He clearly felt it was the right move and that's good enough for me regardless of how disappointed people here are.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/08/2021 at 17:23, BFTD said:

How does MLS compare to the Scottish Premiership these days?

I appreciate that most of their best players will be playing abroad anyway, but I've been assuming the American league generally has better players than us for quite a while. If so, playing there shouldn't harm Gauld's chances of playing for Scotland any more than the domestic-based players in the squad.

I can absolutely guarantee you that the MLS is miles ahead of the Scottish Premiership. There's plenty of it on Sky and Freesports should you wish to find out. It's like the EPL on speed. Much more entertaining and skillful than the likes of Crystal Palace v Southampton. Gauld has been pretty underwhelming for Vancouver so far. Lewis Morgan always looks fairly decent anytime I see him in a  pretty dire Inter Miami side.

14 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

I can absolutely guarantee you that the MLS is miles ahead of the Scottish Premiership. There's plenty of it on Sky and Freesports should you wish to find out. It's like the EPL on speed. Much more entertaining and skillful than the likes of Crystal Palace v Southampton. Gauld has been pretty underwhelming for Vancouver so far. Lewis Morgan always looks fairly decent anytime I see him in a  pretty dire Inter Miami side.

What a steaming pile of shite this is.

8 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

I see. I've seen two of his appearances and he looked miles off it. Wish I'd seen his MOTM one. Must pay more attention.

Been named in the MLS Team of the Week too. The goal he set up is below. The tweet does him a disservice too, it should read Gauld to Caicedo to Gauld to White to Goal.

Edited by The Moonster