Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

15 hours ago, BFTD said:

How does MLS compare to the Scottish Premiership these days?

I appreciate that most of their best players will be playing abroad anyway, but I've been assuming the American league generally has better players than us for quite a while. If so, playing there shouldn't harm Gauld's chances of playing for Scotland any more than the domestic-based players in the squad.

This is an interesting question. I think it must be of a pretty good standard, I believe the MLS want to be competing with the top European leagues, that might be ambitious and unlikely but I imagine they believe they are already way in front of leagues like the SPFL at this time.

They can attract players like Higuain and Ibrahimovic even at the end of their careers that must still raise the standard. Some of the top players can earn up to $6m a year which is more than the OF can pay but the base salary is around $400-$500 a year which must be more than every player out with the OF would earn. I think money is almost the single biggest factor in todays football and standards and levels are closely linked by what you pay in wages.

16 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Nobody's arguing it isn't a good lifestyle choice, and it's a ludicrous amount of money to be earning off the back of one good season for a relegated club in a non-elite league. It's definitely a poor choice in terms of his future with the national team though, even if he thinks Clarke doesn't rate him then surely the way to sort that is to move to a better league and make himself impossible to ignore, not just give up because he's not been picked off the back of that single good season (in a position where we have a lot of talent) .

Not sure I can get on board with the notion that this is Gauld giving up on his national career, or that he's in the huff about things. Did he not come out and say it was still his dream to play for Scotland when he wasn't picked for the Euros (or perhaps slightly before the squad was announced)? It's not much of a dream if you bin it over one squad announcement. 

7 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Not sure I can get on board with the notion that this is Gauld giving up on his national career, or that he's in the huff about things. Did he not come out and say it was still his dream to play for Scotland when he wasn't picked for the Euros (or perhaps slightly before the squad was announced)? It's not much of a dream if you bin it over one squad announcement. 

Why would you pick someone playing in the second tier over there?  His international career is over unless he moves to a better level in a year or two. They're not even MLS it's an absolute jobbers league.

2 hours ago, 2426255 said:

170 pages worth of crap on this thread culminates in the Scottish Messi moving to play in Canada at 25. 😶 Maybe he just isn't that good?

He's obviously good, he was ranked 4th best player in a league significantly better than ours last season. The 4yh best player in our league would waltz into the Scotland squad.

He should have been called up in March but it's academic now as he has taken the lifestyle and money choice over football.

16 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Why would you pick someone playing in the second tier over there?  His international career is over unless he moves to a better level in a year or two. They're not even MLS it's an absolute jobbers league.

Vancouver are in MLS. Barry Robson, Kenny Miller both played in it for them.

2 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

He was in the last u21 squad pretty sure.

Wales have been trying to get him but as far as I'm aware he's not been called up to any Wales squads and played for Scotland U21s 3 months ago. Wee Pepp was having a heads gone back in January because it was apparently a done deal, that was it, he was gone. Now he seems to have lost his head so much that he doesn't think Vancouver are an MLS side. 

Whitecaps are in the Western Conference. They're as MLS as you can get.

Gruce Bobbelaar probably still their most famous player, assuming this is a resurrection of the old club and not a Sevco situation.