Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

It's not just about the team itself, but also the standard of opposition that will be played against. Tierney is playing against many of the best strikers and wingers in the world and is more than holding his own against them. 

There were a lot of Celtic fans put out that Ajer went to Brentford. I get he's joined what will be little other than cannon fodder, but he's also got the chance to better himself against decent opposition rather than 3 games against Ross County and Motherwell. 

Just now, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Someone should tell our manager 

In fairness, Clarke has already said he wasn't sure how Gauld fitted into the system he employs.  That may or may not be a fault of the system he is employing, but I can somewhat understand his reluctance to go with him for the Euros.  Whether he then decides to go with him in the upcoming WC qualifiers remains to be seen (doubt it though)

I have always wanted to see Gauld have a good career in a top league and this probably means that's unlikely to happen now. It's a lot of money in a seemingly great city though so if it's the best move for him then good on him.

Just now, afca32 said:

I have always wanted to see Gauld have a good career in a top league and this probably means that's unlikely to happen now. It's a lot of money in a seemingly great city though so if it's the best move for him then good on him.

With the money on offer you can't really blame him.

But I cant help thinking its a bad move for his international career.

He had some stinking luck over the years, and finally got to show what he had in the top Portuguese league this year. He did so well and could have moved to a good European club.

After all he's been thru to prove himself. This move doesn't do him justice.

It will make him rich, but won't help him become the best player he could be.

18 hours ago, afca32 said:

Yup. I doubt he'll be crying himself to sleep with the £40k/week he's earning in one of the best places on earth to live.

Clarke doesn't appear to rate him anyway - daft fcuker! 

Nobody's arguing it isn't a good lifestyle choice, and it's a ludicrous amount of money to be earning off the back of one good season for a relegated club in a non-elite league. It's definitely a poor choice in terms of his future with the national team though, even if he thinks Clarke doesn't rate him then surely the way to sort that is to move to a better league and make himself impossible to ignore, not just give up because he's not been picked off the back of that single good season (in a position where we have a lot of talent) .

How does MLS compare to the Scottish Premiership these days?

I appreciate that most of their best players will be playing abroad anyway, but I've been assuming the American league generally has better players than us for quite a while. If so, playing there shouldn't harm Gauld's chances of playing for Scotland any more than the domestic-based players in the squad.

5 hours ago, BFTD said:

How does MLS compare to the Scottish Premiership these days?

I appreciate that most of their best players will be playing abroad anyway, but I've been assuming the American league generally has better players than us for quite a while. If so, playing there shouldn't harm Gauld's chances of playing for Scotland any more than the domestic-based players in the squad.

saw an interview with GMS where he basically said the players all had fantastic skill but wouldn't hack it through a scottish winter, make of that what you will