Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

On 09/11/2013 at 16:49, DjembaDjemba said:

is going to be a superstar.

In Scotland we have an archaic attitude to lots of aspects of football. Holland, who are obviously much better than us, just named a guy in their senior squad who made his first team debut 3 weeks ago.

We have no meaningful games for the next year. Gauld is clearly going to make that number 10 role in behind the striker his own sooner or later.

Should he not be chucked in now give him as much experience as possible before the games start to count? IMO he shoud feature in the games against Norway and USA, I would have him in the squad and start him in both.

On 09/11/2013 at 17:09, DC92 said:

Ryan Gauld is the best prospect I've seen in my time watching football in Scotland by some distance, and that's not just a reaction to his goals today. We've had plenty of young players who can ping a goal into the top corner or beat a man, but I've not seen any young players with the same level of intelligence and close-control as him. That's without mentioning that he's regularly scoring great goals and playing killer passes in the SPL at 17 years old.

You can never be sure a young player will fulfill their potential, but I'm very confident with Gauld.

On 09/11/2013 at 18:04, Desert Nomad said:

He`s top drawer no doubt about it. Knew it as soon as I saw him play for the under 20`s last season. What I would say is just give him a bit of time. McNamara still leaves him out now & again, Parkhead last week for instance. One step at a time, but he`s got the ability to go far no question. He`s only just been called into the under 21`s, let him make that step first. All in good time I`d say :thumsup2

🤭

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Guaranteed at least £1m a year, live in a great city, stroll through most league games and earn the chance of massively improving on that wage by moving to a real MLS big gun.

No brainer really. 

Hardly. 

There are numerous great cities, in which he could play at a far higher level and go on to earn just as much, if not more. 

Im not sure strolling through games is a point towards it being a no brainer either. 

It’s undoubtedly the easy choice, which is completely up to him. Obviously disappointing as we will never find out what level he is actually at. 

Edited by No_Problemo

23 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Hardly. 

There are numerous great cities, in which he could play at a far higher level and go on to earn just as much, if not more. 

Im not sure strolling through games is a point towards it being a no brainer either. 

It’s undoubtedly the easy choice, which is completely up to him. Obviously disappointing as we will never find out what level he is actually at. 

If you gave me a choice of £1m a year to live in Vancouver, or £1m a year to live in Newcastle, I know what I'm choosing.

I understand everyone is very Euro-centric on this forum, but becoming a star in America is potentially massive for a player. Lewis Morgans profile over there is massive now.

I'd argue the issue with him moving to America is more an issue with the snobbery of Scots than anything else.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

If you gave me a choice of £1m a year to live in Vancouver, or £1m a year to live in Newcastle, I know what I'm choosing.

I understand everyone is very Euro-centric on this forum, but becoming a star in America is potentially massive for a player. Lewis Morgans profile over there is massive now.

I'd argue the issue with him moving to America is more an issue with the snobbery of Scots than anything else.

Snobbery? Because believing a move to Serie A or La Liga is better in a footballing sense is snobbery... I wouldn’t want him to come to Scotland either. 

Literaly no one mentioned Newcastle, and I quite clearly wasn’t talking about Newcastle when discussing the fantastic European cities he could live in! 

Someone with anything about them would be choosing Newcastle btw, proving themselves at a very good level and getting a better move. Plenty of time in his thirties to play in America. 

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

Snobbery?

Someone with anything about them would be choosing Newcastle btw, proving themselves at a very good level and getting a better move. Plenty of time in his thirties to play in America. 

Yes, snobbery.

The MLS is currently housing some of the best young South American players on the planet. Financially they're beginning to compete with high level European clubs. 

If he goes out there and stars, much like Lewis Morgan has done, he should be hailed a success and have a genuine chance of a call up based on that. Instead he'll have auld da's bemoaning him playing in a "retirement league" and claiming its a "lack of ambition" that he chose to move to one of the biggest countries on the planet and a genuinely competitive league, rather than move to a mid-level English side where he might one day become a rotation option for a top 6 club.

An American side is currently in the Semis of their Champions League, and due to play in the Azteca stadium in front of 80k fans. Chat is American sides will be allowed into the Copa Libertadores in the next few years, which brings about a chance he can play away v Boca, or in a packed Maracana. 

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yes, snobbery.

The MLS is currently housing some of the best young South American players on the planet. Financially they're beginning to compete with high level European clubs. 

If he goes out there and stars, much like Lewis Morgan has done, he should be hailed a success and have a genuine chance of a call up based on that. Instead he'll have auld da's bemoaning him playing in a "retirement league" and claiming its a "lack of ambition" that he chose to move to one of the biggest countries on the planet and a genuinely competitive league, rather than move to a mid-level English side where he might one day become a rotation option for a top 6 club.

An American side is currently in the Semis of their Champions League, and due to play in the Azteca stadium in front of 80k fans. Chat is American sides will be allowed into the Copa Libertadores in the next few years, which brings about a chance he can play away v Boca, or in a packed Maracana. 

If I was 19 years old and a decent player and had the chance to choose where to have a career it would be the MLS. Sporting integrity and competitiveness is one thing the Americans have absolutely right. And what a life you could build.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yes, snobbery.

Are you truly trying to say that from a footballing perspective he is better playing in America than a top European league?

Say what you like about how much things are developing there, but that is utter fucking nonsense. The best players are in the top European leagues, you are quite clearly better off testing yourself against them. 

If I was 19 years old and a decent player and had the chance to choose where to have a career it would be the MLS. Sporting integrity and competitiveness is one thing the Americans have absolutely right. And what a life you could build.

Where's the sporting integrity in being able to lose every game of the season with absolutely no consequences, only being able to access the league if you have enough money, and being able to win the title after finishing near enough in the bottom half?

It's a great lifestyle choice from Gauld, but the MLS is at best on a par with the Portuguese league, probably a bit worse, so it's a step down for him. It perhaps reflects the fact that despite being told he was one of the most sought after prospects in Europe, actually nobody in one of the genuinely big leagues wanted him.

Hopefully he does well there, it's definitely no barrier to a Scotland call up, but it does feel like he's not really pushing himself as much as he could be.

22 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Are you truly trying to say that from a footballing perspective he is better playing in America than a top European league?

I'm saying moving to America isn't a horrendous decision and makes a lot of sense for multiple reasons. 

If any of the "top clubs at top nations" had actually wanted him I'm sure he would've joined. Facts are he was probably looking at some middling outfit at best.

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm saying moving to America isn't a horrendous decision and makes a lot of sense for multiple reasons. 

If any of the "top clubs at top nations" had actually wanted him I'm sure he would've joined. Facts are he was probably looking at some middling outfit at best.

Of course it isn’t a horrendous decision, it’s his to make and only he knows his own motivations. However, it isn’t the best move in terms of fulfilling his footballing potential. 

A middling outfit in La Liga or Serie A would be an excellent move, allow him to develop and potentially kick on further. From a purely selfish point of view, I wanted to see him regularly playing in a top league so we could see how good he actually is. 

23 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Where's the sporting integrity in being able to lose every game of the season with absolutely no consequences, only being able to access the league if you have enough money, and being able to win the title after finishing near enough in the bottom half?

It's a great lifestyle choice from Gauld, but the MLS is at best on a par with the Portuguese league, probably a bit worse, so it's a step down for him. It perhaps reflects the fact that despite being told he was one of the most sought after prospects in Europe, actually nobody in one of the genuinely big leagues wanted him.

Hopefully he does well there, it's definitely no barrier to a Scotland call up, but it does feel like he's not really pushing himself as much as he could be.

Yes, I like the american system you describe. It's excellent compared with what we have in this country.

I don’t think he will be going to the MLS. With those stats last year he will surely be headed for a champions league team from one of the big four leagues.