Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

On 24/06/2021 at 19:26, Robin.Hood said:

MLS.....

Screenshot_20210624-192414_Samsung Internet.jpg

Is the £41K a week real? The MLS has wage structures in place so would Vancouver be signing him as one of their designated players?

Does any player at the OF earn £41k a week?

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

The Farense president is claiming he's still under contract with them, alluding to some sort of extension if certain criteria was met. 

I wonder if this could be the hold up for him signing on somewhere. If the level of clubs reported to be interesting in him are correct, then a reasonably small fee, say £500k wouldn't put them off, but if there is a sense that it could turn into some big legal battle and a much larger compensation fee at the end of it, then some clubs will be put off.

Personally, I'd rather he stayed abroad and moved to a larger club. I think it probably benefits the national team to have players playing in different  leagues and styles, the player himself and also likely scottish football.

At the moment (well until recently) the only viable destination for players in Scotland has been England. If someone like Gauld can settle and be a success in other countries, clubs will maybe consider Scottish players more, the players will see it as an option and in turn, this should drive the demand and value up of our players.

Guys like Gauld and Barry Douglas make it easier for others to follow them. 

4 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

I wonder if this could be the hold up for him signing on somewhere. If the level of clubs reported to be interesting in him are correct, then a reasonably small fee, say £500k wouldn't put them off, but if there is a sense that it could turn into some big legal battle and a much larger compensation fee at the end of it, then some clubs will be put off.

Personally, I'd rather he stayed abroad and moved to a larger club. I think it probably benefits the national team to have players playing in different  leagues and styles, the player himself and also likely scottish football.

At the moment (well until recently) the only viable destination for players in Scotland has been England. If someone like Gauld can settle and be a success in other countries, clubs will maybe consider Scottish players more, the players will see it as an option and in turn, this should drive the demand and value up of our players.

Not sure it will matter 

Clarke doesn't seem to like him or play a formation that fits him in 

15 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Yeah, it looks to me like Farense just want some money for him, probably a million or two. If the MLS club are flying £40K a week at him they might well pay something like that. I wouldn't hate it if he came back to play for Celtic, playing in the Champions League for Celtic is better for him than playing in the MLS or playing for Watford or some shit. I don't think Gauld is that interested in coming home though, the press have not been kind to him since his move to Portugal.

9 minutes ago, Binos said:

Clarke doesn't seem to like him or play a formation that fits him in 

Eh? Gauld can play as part of the midfield 3 or just behind the striker, similar to when Christie plays in there. Clarke probably likes him but realises the bottom end of the Portuguese league is utter mince and we already have a lot of established players in that position playing at higher levels. 

21 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Yeah, it looks to me like Farense just want some money for him, probably a million or two. If the MLS club are flying £40K a week at him they might well pay something like that. I wouldn't hate it if he came back to play for Celtic, playing in the Champions League for Celtic is better for him than playing in the MLS or playing for Watford or some shit. I don't think Gauld is that interested in coming home though, the press have not been kind to him since his move to Portugal.

Eh? Gauld can play as part of the midfield 3 or just behind the striker, similar to when Christie plays in there. Clarke probably likes him but realises the bottom end of the Portuguese league is utter mince and we already have a lot of established players in that position playing at higher levels. 

I think gaulds a genuine no10

Christie,  Fraser don't really fit that bill for me 

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

No its not, getting pumped in the CL is not better than playing in the EPL with Watford. Celtic generally don't even make the groups anymore either. He'd be mental to come back here, same with Hickey.

16 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

What competition are Celtic playing in this week then?

The champions league. The same one they have been in the last 4 years without getting to the group stage. 

Flora, Zalgiris, Mura, Nefci Baku are also playing this week in the CL.

Would you say playing in the CL qualifiers is a bigger stage than Watford in the EPL?

Would you say playing in the CL groups is a bigger stage than Watford in the EPL?

According to reports, seems increasingly likely to be moving to Canada, would be bitterly disappointing. 

IMO, he should be backing himself to move to a top league, doing well and then earning far more than the 40k per week he is ending his potential top level career for. 

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

According to reports, seems increasingly likely to be moving to Canada, would be bitterly disappointing. 

IMO, he should be backing himself to move to a top league, doing well and then earning far more than the 40k per week he is ending his potential top level career for. 

Going by one of the journalists I've seen quoted on twitter he'd "only" be earning about half of that. If true surely he could get similar money now from a club in Europe.

Well maybe he is balancing his desire to have a successful football career with a sense of adventure that took him to live and work in Portugal. It's not necessarily a financial decision, maybe he has always had an ambition to live in North America and the opportunity has just so happened to be presented to him earlier than he would maybe have chosen in an ideal situation.

It goes without saying Ryan Gauld should consult his fans of course as they have already laid out his best careers choices. 😶

Edited by 2426255

18 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Going by one of the journalists I've seen quoted on twitter he'd "only" be earning about half of that. If true surely he could get similar money now from a club in Europe.

Yup! 

7 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Well maybe he is balancing his desire to have a successful football career with a sense of adventure that took him to live and work in Portugal. It's not necessarily a financial decision, maybe he has always had an ambition to live in North America and the opportunity has just so happened to be presented to him earlier than he would maybe have chosen in an ideal situation.

It goes without saying Ryan Gauld should consult his fans of course as they have already laid out his best careers choices. 😶

Lifestyle is another factor, however he could quite clearly make the most of his football career and then move to a lower level of football in his thirties for the lifestyle factor of that had always been his ambition. 

People expressing opinions on a footballer player on a forum, shocker eh. 

Guaranteed at least £1m a year, live in a great city, stroll through most league games and earn the chance of massively improving on that wage by moving to a real MLS big gun.

No brainer really. 

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

people investing their hopes in a footballers career success...😄 how's he moved there, he should be moving to the EPL. 🤭

People discussing a Scottish player on the Scottish players forum. Im not sure you have got the hang of this.

Edited by BingMcCrosby

Don't really get the money argument - if it's motivated by that surely going to England and doing fairly well for a season or so would see him earn much more. If he's not all that arsed about career progression and just fancies trying out different experiences then fair enough, it'd be a cracking place to live for a wee while.