Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

I mean what more could a player do than be playing in a significantly better league than our league and be named the POTM for that league the month before the squad is named?  Yet still not even considered. Its laughable.

Then when the games will come round we'll struggle to keep the ball and our players will lose it under pressure, when you have guys like Gauld and Gilmour who are technically on a higher level than most of our players who can't get in. Bizarre.

8 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Actually a lot of us watch him quite regularly actually. I've seen a lot more Farense games this season than I have Celtic for example. Or any Scottish team for that matter.

Gauld just been named Portugese league's POTM for April btw. No brainer he should be in the squad and should have been in the last one too. But isn't going to be. Ridiculous really, what more could he have done.

Also Clarke was talking shite. He said his mate in Portugal is keeping an eye on him for him. Well fans aren't allowed in the ground. So his mate can't go to games to watch him, and if Clarke wants to he can watch every single one of Gauld's games from Scotland.

So its not possible his mate in Portugal could be keeping a closer eye on him than Clarke could. Its literally impossible. He clearly just doesn't fancy him.

I wouldn’t dispute that some will have seen a few his games. But you just know the vast majority haven’t.

It does seem ridiculously unfair on Gauld. Playing really well and getting alot of recognition for his form in a better league than ours.

While someone like Ryan Christie is a shoe in for the squad, despite playing like an absolute donkey.

It comes off as lazy management.

3 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I’ll never cease to be amazed at the amount of people saying Christie should be dropped. Been one of Scotland’s best players since Clarke took over.

I don't think so. Ever since Serbia he's been absolutely howling, and has had a pretty bad season domestically too. Its when you see guys like him absolutely undroppable after being pish for ages you think Gauld is being hard done by.

4 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Can I shock you? I'd probably have picked Gauld given injuries.

I've seen very little of him though so I'm not going to have a tantrum about it.

KkG0M9RwmtUI.gif

Edited by Gordopolis

Just now, eez-eh said:

I’ll never cease to be amazed at the amount of people saying Christie should be dropped. Been one of Scotland’s best players since Clarke took over.

Its all about opinions mate. I fully expect him to be in the squad.

Hes played some great games for Scotland, and his goal against serbia will always be up there as one of our greatest moments.

But for me its about the here and now. Hes really not been playing well. And others like gauld and turnbull have been.

Its especially easy to judge with turnbull as their in the same team.

40 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

I mean what more could a player do than be playing in a significantly better league than our league and be named the POTM for that league the month before the squad is named?  Yet still not even considered. Its laughable.

Then when the games will come round we'll struggle to keep the ball and our players will lose it under pressure, when you have guys like Gauld and Gilmour who are technically on a higher level than most of our players who can't get in. Bizarre.

I agree he should’ve been in the team, but it isn’t a “significantly” better league. Much the same as ours. 

1 minute ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Its the 6th best league in Europe, ours is 11th, sometimes as low as 14th. Its miles better.

It’s really not though. Rangers haven’t lost a single game to Porto, Benfica or Braga when playing them the last couple years and (much like ours)  the further down the league you go the more absolute dross there is. Sporting also just squeezed by Aberdeen last year too. Overall it’ll be a bit better, but the actual standard isn’t much different to ours. 

Just now, HalfCutNinja said:

Its the 6th best league in Europe, ours is 11th, sometimes as low as 14th. Its miles better.

Yeah historically and currently the Portuguese league is miles ahead of ours.

The standard of players they can source from South America. And produce on their own is miles ahead of us. They have first team players being courted by and leaving for the biggest teams in the world regularly.

Its not even a sensible discussion.

Just now, TheGoon said:

It’s really not though. Rangers haven’t lost a single game to Porto, Benfica or Braga when playing them the last couple years and (much like ours)  the further down the league you go the more absolute dross there is. Sporting also just squeezed by Aberdeen last year too. Overall it’ll be a bit better, but the actual standard isn’t much different to ours. 

Miles better. Rangers just went a whole season undefeated in our league btw. I watched Braga absolutely batter Leicester this season.

Our league is pure shit, games like Aberdeen's are the start of the season when teams are still doing pre-season and not at 100%. 

2 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Miles better. Rangers just went a whole season undefeated in our league btw. I watched Braga absolutely batter Leicester this season.

Our league is pure shit, games like Aberdeen's are the start of the season when teams are still doing pre-season and not at 100%. 

And? 7 games against Scottish opposition and only one win would indicate there isn’t that much between the particular leagues. I do not get the sneering attitude towards our own league from people either. It’s not fantastic but it’s a perfectly acceptable standard of football for the size of country we are, and if you ever actually watch Portuguese, Croatian or Dutch football it’s much the same. 

Folk are so weirdly protective of our league when it's not merited. 

Gauld has been on fire this season - utterly bonkers that he can't get a call-up.

Edited by ArabFC

4 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

And? 7 games against Scottish opposition and only one win would indicate there isn’t that much between the particular leagues. I do not get the sneering attitude towards our own league from people either. It’s not fantastic but it’s a perfectly acceptable standard of football for the size of country we are, and if you ever actually watch Portuguese, Croatian or Dutch football it’s much the same. 

No that would indicate Rangers are way better than the rest of our league. As evidenced by the 80 point gap from them to everyone else. 

It is perfectly acceptable for a country our size. But our country is tiny, so our league is mince. 

1 minute ago, ArabFC said:

Folk are so weirdlyprotective of our league when it's not merited. 

I really don’t think it’s being protective (correctly) stating the overall standard of the Portuguese league isn’t much different to ours, or any other middling European league. 

Just now, TheGoon said:

Im not sure the discussion is about how people feel about our league.

Which agreed, in my opinion is a perfectly acceptable standard for us.

Its just nowhere near as good a standard as the Portuguese league.

Its also not as good as the England or Italian or Spanish or German. Its not being down on ourselves. Its just common sense.

1 minute ago, HalfCutNinja said:

No that would indicate Rangers are way better than the rest of our league. As evidenced by the 80 point gap from them to everyone else. 

It is perfectly acceptable for a country our size. But our country is tiny, so our league is mince. 

Yes, but there is a reason Porto & Benfica have traded the league for over a decade - and Sporting have this season just got back in. It is an extremely top heavy league (as most similar ones are) and this bizarrely seems to paint the picture in people’s minds (that haven’t watched a single minute of the league) that the rest is of the same standard. Which (as you’ve pointed out with Rangers) simply isn’t the case.