Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:
6 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

I do struggle to see why you wouldn't name him in the squad last time out, even just to get a look at him. He couldn't really have done any better this season, is now ranked 3rd best player in the league. A league btw that is miles better than ours.

With Farense looking good to go down, I think a big Portuguese team will snap him up. Hopefully its not a charlie Adam situation

You've got to imagine he'll have some interesting offers in the summer. I'd like to see him still playing though wherever he goes.

• 3 weeks later...

9th goal of the season for Gauld today as Farense win 1-0. Another penalty.

They’re still in 17th and will need at least a point next week and other things to go their way to avoid relegation. Anyone up to Portimonense in 13th could still go down, so they’ve got a decent chance. Not that this really impacts Gauld, I suppose, as you’d imagine he’ll move on regardless at the end of the season.

They’re still in 17th and will need at least a point next week and other things to go their way to avoid relegation. Anyone up to Portimonense in 13th could still go down, so they’ve got a decent chance. Not that this really impacts Gauld, I suppose, as you’d imagine he’ll move on regardless at the end of the season.
Might be good for him if Farense do get relegated, much better chance for him to move to better club

On 15/05/2021 at 18:08, John Lambies Doos said:
On 15/05/2021 at 17:44, Nightmare said:

Might be good for him if Farense do get relegated, much better chance for him to move to better club

He's out of contract anyway.

I don't think the injuries make any difference. If McGinn got injured then absolutely, but it's deeper in midfield where are problems are, particularly beyond the first 11. Hence why I'm preparing myself to lose the rag when Gilmour is left out.

Apologies if already discussed but is it just the 26 man squad being announced or is it one of those bigger squads that will be reduced in number closer to the time that some countries do?

I've seen Sky news talking about the 26 man squad announcement but they're hardly reliable with stuff about the Scottish game.

It would make sense to have a larger squad, including Turnbull, Gauld, Gilmour and Patterson initially. Gilmour should be in the 26 regardless and the others can then fight for their places. Worst case it gives them some valuable experience with the squad. 

9 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Apologies if already discussed but is it just the 26 man squad being announced or is it one of those bigger squads that will be reduced in number closer to the time that some countries do?

I've seen Sky news talking about the 26 man squad announcement but they're hardly reliable with stuff about the Scottish game.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't a 26 man squad, however I don't think we will know until tomorrow. I've read that it's a preliminary squad and I saw some premilinary squad announcements yesterday have included 30+ players (Netherlands, Ukraine etc) and Slovakia's squad only included 24 players. 

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro-2020/news/0269-12464679fb2e-84fa175e53ca-1000--provisional-euro-2020-squads/

It would make sense to have a larger squad, including Turnbull, Gauld, Gilmour and Patterson initially. Gilmour should be in the 26 regardless and the others can then fight for their places. Worst case it gives them some valuable experience with the squad. 
Yeah I'm not against that idea at all.

34 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I don't think the injuries make any difference. If McGinn got injured then absolutely, but it's deeper in midfield where are problems are, particularly beyond the first 11. Hence why I'm preparing myself to lose the rag when Gilmour is left out.

Yep, no idea why folk think Jack or McLean being injured necessarily opens up a place for Gauld (or Turnbull). Jack and McLean would both play deeper, and Turnbull and Gauld can't play that role for us. I guess you could say that it maybe makes it slightly more likely McGinn or Armstrong play deeper, but it's more likely an actual central midfielder (eg Gilmour) gets the call.

McGinn plays almost all his football deeper now. He's very good at it, better than anyone else we have except McTominay.

Scotland fans seem to think cause he's scored a few he's now Zidane and absolutely has to play attacking midfield. When in truth its where he looks least comfortable and most of his goals are a combination of sclaffs and goals that were nothing to do with what position he was playing.

Overhead kick a good example, his position is irrelevant there. Also Serbia game he got put through early on looked like a duck out of water and had no idea what to do. Eventually just duffed it into the keeper's arms.

He is better with the game in front of him and making late runs into the box. With Maclean and Jack missing imo he has to play deeper which absolutely opens up a space for Gauld or Turnbull. But I doubt he will.

With Jack missing and McTominay probably playing at the back we will need McGinn in there.

We will be the underdogs in every game, playing teams better than us who will monopolise possession.

We badly need someone with dig, legs, quality, physique and experience in there to protect the defence and give us a foothold. Especially if he ends up playing next to Gilmour who has supreme quality on the ball but is a weakness off it.

Someone like McGregor they would just run right over the top of. McGinn does this for Villa every week and does it very well.

I think there is also a strong case for Armstrong playing in the deeper role too as he has really excelled there for Southampton recently and in fairness hasn't been spectacular in more advanced midfield roles with Scotland.  

4 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Can I shock you? I'd probably have picked Gauld given injuries.

I've seen very little of him though so I'm not going to have a tantrum about it.

Agree with this. I think he’d have been a good option but the reaction on that thread and on the Scottish football subreddit is nuts. Folk losing it about some boy who all they ever see of is a weekly post on Twitter with his stats.

Just now, eez-eh said:

Agree with this. I think he’d have been a good option but the reaction on that thread and on the Scottish football subreddit is nuts. Folk losing it about some boy who all they ever see of is a weekly post on Twitter with his stats.

Actually a lot of us watch him quite regularly actually. I've seen a lot more Farense games this season than I have Celtic for example. Or any Scottish team for that matter.

Gauld just been named Portugese league's POTM for April btw. No brainer he should be in the squad and should have been in the last one too. But isn't going to be. Ridiculous really, what more could he have done.

Also Clarke was talking shite. He said his mate in Portugal is keeping an eye on him for him. Well fans aren't allowed in the ground. So his mate can't go to games to watch him, and if Clarke wants to he can watch every single one of Gauld's games from Scotland.

So its not possible his mate in Portugal could be keeping a closer eye on him than Clarke could. Its literally impossible. He clearly just doesn't fancy him.