Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

On 31/12/2020 at 08:20, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Its quite offensive to them and completely uncalled for.  I don't understand why some have antipathy towards them, think its a colonial hangover that was bred into people in the 18th and 19th centuries now just lazy racism.  But there is no Southern Ireland, we invaded, occupied and colonised a bit of Ireland and called it North Ireland that doesn't make the rest of it the South.

Not from the west of Scotland

So don't give a f**k about any of these pointless things

Wasn't even aware of this further hang up

May or may not use it again if I forget

6 minutes ago, Binos said:

Not from the west of Scotland

So don't give a f**k about any of these pointless things

Wasn't even aware of this further hang up

May or may not use it again if I forget

Neither am I, I just know the name of the countries round about me.  And you obviously do give a f**k if you use a lazy racist term, especially after being corrected.

On 27/12/2020 at 23:29, Gordopolis said:

Hanley is in for 2 reasons: 1, because SC seems to have a hardon for him; 

Such a hard on that in Clarke's 17 games in charge, Hanley has a grand total of 0 caps and has been called up once.

Edited by Dunning1874

2 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Neither am I, I just know the name of the countries round about me.  And you obviously do give a f**k if you use a lazy racist term, especially after being corrected.

I wasn't aware it caused any issue or offence

I grew up in a place with zero bigotry, these things weren't on the radar

Local Celtic and rangers fans actually supported Scotland not Ireland and England

Thankfully I have not had to trouble my mind a great deal with the pathetic goings-on

Such a hard on that in Clarke's 17 games in charge, Hanley has a grand total of 0 caps and has been called up once.
Well that's just wrong.

He has been called up by SC whenever he's been fit for his club. There were call ups early in SCs reign, only for him to pull out injured:
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steve-clarke-faces-scotland-headache-20466190

...and in the recent playoffs, he was again called up and again pulled out injured. Clarke clearly rates him.

The grand total of 0 caps doesn't prove anything other than that he's always been injured.

Local Celtic and rangers fans actually supported Scotland not Ireland and England
Thankfully I have not had to trouble my mind a great deal with the pathetic goings-on
Just seems a tad strange people don't recognise the name of an independent country, that's all.

Just now, John Lambies Doos said:
1 hour ago, Binos said:

Just seems a tad strange people don't recognise the name of an independent country, that's all.

What's strange about it

It was a geographical description I wasn't aware caused offence

Anyway this is becoming very boring 

What's strange about it
Eh, surely any geographical description would just be Ireland? Also, there are some counties in Eire that are further north than some counties in NI. More likely a term borne out of naivety, as I don't think you are bigot.

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

Well that's just wrong.

He has been called up by SC whenever he's been fit for his club. There were call ups early in SCs reign, only for him to pull out injured:
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steve-clarke-faces-scotland-headache-20466190

...and in the recent playoffs, he was again called up and again pulled out injured. Clarke clearly rates him.

The grand total of 0 caps doesn't prove anything other than that he's always been injured.

Correction accepted, I thought that he was left out while fit for those first couple of windows Clarke was in charge with the only call up being for the last window.

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:
1 hour ago, Binos said:
What's strange about it

Eh, surely any geographical description would just be Ireland? Also, there are some counties in Eire that are further north than some counties in NI. More likely a term borne out of naivety, as I don't think you are bigot.

I think we need to start calling them the "Irish Free State" again. I guess that would make the other bit "Union Dividend Ireland".

Correction accepted, I thought that he was left out while fit for those first couple of windows Clarke was in charge with the only call up being for the last window.
Damn - and I was all primed for a spiralling 6-page tit-for-tat argument!
HNY [emoji6]

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

The BBC have clearly been reading the debate on here (which should probably have happened on the Euro 2020 Squad thread!):
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55489592

It doesn't let me hit submit if I've selected none of them. The boy writing it is definitely an Aberdeen fan though, given that he's selected two of their midfielders despite the fact neither of them have a genuine realistic chance of making it.

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I don't like the term "best player" lined up with goal and assist stats, by that measure no defenders or goalkeepers could ever be the best players in a league which is false. It's great to see him continuing his form though and if he doubles those stats in the second half of the season I think it might be difficult for Clarke to ignore him. 

I don't like the term "best player" lined up with goal and assist stats, by that measure no defenders or goalkeepers could ever be the best players in a league which is false. It's great to see him continuing his form though and if he doubles those stats in the second half of the season I think it might be difficult for Clarke to ignore him. 
I think WhoScored have some way of assigning ratings to players on a match-by-match basis. No idea how they do it, but it'll be more than goals + assists as everyone knows they're for Fantasy Football losers.

He's surely in with a great chance of a call up to the WC qualifiers in March. It'd be good for us all round to have, say, Gauld, Hickey, Turnbull and maybe Gilmour in that group, pressing their cases. Hopefully one or more could force their way in, or at least spur the established players on to hang on to their spots.