Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

I find it kind of satisfying that all the detractors on here have become less noticeable over the last few months now that Ryan's name  has started to appear more regularly in the tabloids of late. 

I just hope he doesn't crumble under the intense scrutiny he will get should he be picked for Scotland . 

He was definitely the stand out player of that lot, that's why he was the one that got the three million move to Sporting Lisbon.  Tbf Robertson went to Hull for the same but Gauld's move was a lot more glamorous.  
I agree it was a more glamorous move, and as I say his position and playing style made him the most exciting. So maybe a stand out in terms of hype, but not a clearly better player objectively than the others (tho it's hard to compare the 4 mentioned in their very different positions), and to be fair, as things stand he clearly isn't the best of the 4.

IIRC even 5-6 years or so back, the Sportscene guys were regularly arguing about who was the best of the group. One week it was Souttar, the next Armstrong, etc. I don't remember it ever being an open and shut case there or elsewhere that Gauld was irrefutably the best... just the most exciting (who couldn't get excited about a Scottish mini Messi after all [emoji6][emoji106]).

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

I agree it was a more glamorous move, and as I say his position and playing style made him the most exciting. So maybe a stand out in terms of hype, but not a clearly better player objectively than the others (tho it's hard to compare the 4 mentioned in their very different positions), and to be fair, as things stand he clearly isn't the best of the 4.

IIRC even 5-6 years or so back, the Sportscene guys were regularly arguing about who was the best of the group. One week it was Souttar, the next Armstrong, etc. I don't remember it ever being an open and shut case there or elsewhere that Gauld was irrefutably the best... just the most exciting (who couldn't get excited about a Scottish mini Messi after all emoji6.pngemoji106.png).

I was watching him week in and week out. Its fair enough to have different opinions, but I'm telling you, Gauld was the stand-out!

Its fair that its hard to compare him to Robertson given positions, but Gauld and Armstrong were effectively playing the same kind of role in the team and while every United fan loved Armstrong, it was Gauld that made you jump out of your seat - and we had GMS on the wing!

I remember John Rankin saying once that he'd be telling his kids about having played alongside Gauld.

On a slight sidenote, I think I remember a really impressive Scotland U21 game when we played Ryan Gauld, Ryan Christie and Ryan Fraser in the same team - wouldn't mind seeing that again!

Edited by ArabFC

1 hour ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

He was definitely the stand out player of that lot, that's why he was the one that got the three million move to Sporting Lisbon.  Tbf Robertson went to Hull for the same but Gauld's move was a lot more glamorous.  

Hull is the city of culture some year

Reported for anti - Hullism

I was watching him week in and week out. Its fair enough to have different opinions, but I'm telling you, Gauld was the stand-out!
Its fair that its hard to compare him to Robertson given positions, but Gauld and Armstrong were effectively playing the same kind of role in the team and while every United fan loved Armstrong, it was Gauld that made you jump out of your seat - and we had GMS on the wing!
I remember John Rankin saying once that he'd be telling his kids about having played alongside Gauld.
On a slight sidenote, I think I remember a really impressive Scotland U21 game when we played Ryan Gauld, Ryan Christie and Ryan Fraser in the same team - wouldn't mind seeing that again!
I totally forgot about GMS - I knew there was another of that gang. Shame he's never really hit the heights, but great to watch on his day

28 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

I totally forgot about GMS - I knew there was another of that gang. Shame he's never really hit the heights, but great to watch on his day

It was always clear GMS would never play much higher. Body and mind made of glass. Generally the first hard tackle took him out the game, one way or another.

My memory was that Gauld and Armstrong were clearly destined to be great players. Robertson looked decent going forward but poor 1v1 defending, so I didn't expect massive things from him, while John Souttar is someone I've never rated. A CM playing CB because he can't move the ball under any form of pressure. The amount of injuries he gets probably helps his career as the myth of him grows the longer he's out.

29 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Never forget!

#PrayForMackay

Kind of backs up my point.

Meaningless league game when you're already winning, all the skillz. Cup Final when you're 1-0 down and hes looked at as your main creative threat?

Vanished, then left the park "injured".

16 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Meaningless league game when you're already winning, all the skillz. Cup Final when you're 1-0 down and hes looked at as your main creative threat?

Vanished, then left the park "injured".

I know that for the farmers, the cup final of 2014 was the only game that ever mattered, but for the type of player GMS was, he was actually very resilient and remarkably consistent.

From memory, GMS barely missed a game that season, but one of the only games he did miss was right at the end of the season when he was suffering from bronchitis, and the Cup Final was his first start following this.

ps - he was replaced in that game by... Ryan Gauld.

On 22/11/2020 at 17:26, ArabFC said:

In Gauld's last U21 game if memory serves,  I think he was played very deep in a kind of sweeper role and was very ineffective . This was at the time when he was being touted  for for a full call up which obviously never materialised.  That one performance possibly halted that progression.  

8 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

In Gauld's last U21 game if memory serves,  I think he was played very deep in a kind of sweeper role and was very ineffective . This was at the time when he was being touted  for for a full call up which obviously never materialised.  That one performance possibly halted that progression.  

He was playing as a number 6 because that was also where he was playing for his club at the time.

5 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

There was a game against Macedonia at Tynecastle where Scotland trailed 1-0 (despite being utterly dominant all game) and for the last 15 minutes played Gauld as the only deep player and had him shelling balls towards 4 or 5 target men. I'm sure it was the first time I'd seen McBurnie and I was distinctly unimpressed.

12 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

He was playing as a number 6 because that was also where he was playing for his club at the time.

I can't remember if he was in Portugal at that time but if he was , that figures as he was played in all sorts of formations for Sporting B  before being loaned out.

That said , I think he proved at United that he was most effective in an attacking midfield role . I might have thought the Scottish coaching staff would have sussed that out. 

Edited by theoriginalhedge

• 2 weeks later...

What's the script with Gauld then? I know he won player of the year for the 2nd tier in Portugal. Is he the talisman for Farense then? Is he likely to be able to step up another level and get a move back to one of the big teams in Portugal?

12 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

What's the script with Gauld then? I know he won player of the year for the 2nd tier in Portugal. Is he the talisman for Farense then? Is he likely to be able to step up another level and get a move back to one of the big teams in Portugal?

He just scored a penalty to put them 2-1 up. He's the main man there, their best player.  I would imagine if they go down he wouldn't have much of a problem finding a mid table club in Portugal.  I would be surprised if the top 4 were interested in him though.

I think he missed out on so much first team football and is flourishing playing every week, the best thing would be if Farense stayed up and he stayed for one more year.  Do two years playing every week in the top flight as the main man, then go and still be only 26.  It would be shite if, after having a great time this year and improving so much playing every week, he found himself sitting on the bench at Setubal or something this time next year.

I mean look at tonight, his team are winning 2-1 to move out of the relegation zone, he scored one set the other one up.  By far their most important player, and apparently he basically won the penalty himself too. 

I think he has a decent chance of being in the squad in March.  If he keeps playing every week and doing well between now and then I'd be surprised if he wasn't.  I think actually if Steve Clarke picked a squad tomorrow he'd be in it.

1 hour ago, DAFC. said:

Currently Farense’s captain, and has 3 goals & 3 assists in the past 6 games.

Fair to say he’s the main man there. Wouldn’t be surprised if some of the more established top flight clubs will be interested after this season.

Edited by Nightmare