Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

He only got voted Portuguese 2nd tier Player of the Year . Not bad for being not that great. 

Talk about damming with feint praise [emoji28]. There’s one to tell the grandchildren about.

Amazed at this thread still being up the top of the tartan army board. Ryan Gauld will be 25 in a couple of months and he’s nowhere near the Scotland squad, never mind the Scotland team. Their is younger players than him who are well ahead of him in the pecking order.

Maybe time to... let this thread drift into obscurity. Like he did.

16 minutes ago, Lex said:

Talk about damming with feint praise emoji28.png. There’s one to tell the grandchildren about.

Amazed at this thread still being up the top of the tartan army board. Ryan Gauld will be 25 in a couple of months and he’s nowhere near the Scotland squad, never mind the Scotland team. Their is younger players than him who are well ahead of him in the pecking order.

Maybe time to... let this thread drift into obscurity. Like he did.

Ah the obscurity of the Portuguese top league . That's some drift . 😉

As it is at present, an attacking , fast, creative midfielder would be wasted in the current Scotland squad . 

You seem quite pleased  that he hasn't made it back to the heady heights of the Scottish premiership to be coached into a system of bus parking negativity to stop the OF from giving absolute  tankings. 

I think he will be very pleased he made the decision to develop his game in an environment where football is actually entertaining  with the weather to suit. 

Ah the obscurity of the Portuguese top league . That's some drift . [emoji6]
As it is at present, an attacking , fast, creative midfielder would be wasted in the current Scotland squad . 
You seem quite pleased  that he hasn't made it back to the heady heights of the Scottish premiership to be coached into a system of bus parking negativity to stop the OF from giving absolute  tankings. 
I think he will be very pleased he made the decision to develop his game in an environment where football is actually entertaining  with the weather to suit. 

Well he did make it back to the Scottish Premiership. He played for Hibs last year and he was rubbish.
If he’s pleased, good for him. My point is simply discussions around Ryan Gauld aren’t really relevant to the Scottish national team.
Misc Other Football for this pish.

9 minutes ago, Lex said:

Well he did make it back to the Scottish Premiership. He played for Hibs last year and he was rubbish.
If he’s pleased, good for him. My point is simply discussions around Ryan Gauld aren’t really relevant to the Scottish national team.
Misc Other Football for this pish.

Nah that's shite.  Gauld will definitely play for Scotland, just like everything else I've said you can take that to the bank, and I'll be sure to remind you when it happens.  Absolute nap he plays for Scotland, possibly even this season.  He would have improved us last night.

10 minutes ago, Lex said:

Tbf I think he only played about 4 games due to injury. And it was Heckingbottom's Hibs, everyone was rubbish.

39 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

You have a very weird obsession with Gauld throughout this thread. I'm happy to see him finally make it back to the Portuguese top flight, and I agree that he'll probably end up playing for Scotland soon enough, but the idea that he will be pleased with his career progression is obviously nonsense. He has maybe been unlucky at times, but he would likely be playing at a higher level now if he had hung around at United a bit longer. That doesn't mean he necessarily made the wrong decision, it's just that it didn't really work out the way he hoped.

Edited by craigkillie

55 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

You have a very weird obsession with Gauld throughout this thread. I'm happy to see him finally make it back to the Portuguese top flight, and I agree that he'll probably end up playing for Scotland soon enough, but the idea that he will be pleased with his career progression is obviously nonsense. He has maybe been unlucky at times, but he would likely be playing at a higher level now if he had hung around at United a bit longer. That doesn't mean he necessarily made the wrong decision, it's just that it didn't really work out the way he hoped.

My weird obsession is nothing more than a family friendship and merely showing a bit of support for a local lad having played amatuer football with his dad in my younger days.  I have followed Ryan's career obviously with interest as I have with John and Harry Souttar , another 2 local lads who have also done well . 

I reply mostly in frustration at all the negative  comments from people who somehow think that because Ryan is not in the public eye , he has not made a success of his life. He has managed to become part of a new community and culture , learnt a new language and above all , managed it all on his own at a very vulnerable time of his life.  His career has been a constant battle to adapt to different coaching techniques having been loaned out to help him develop . He has always remained grounded and never bought into the "mini Messi" tag lumped on him by the media .  His work ethic and will to succeed is his strength and is paying off now.  That to me is real career progression .

Realistically given the choice of  trying to make it in Portugal or hanging around at United at a stage when they were selling off their assets just to survive  , I know which decision I would take. 

2 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Get him in the squad !

3 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

My weird obsession is nothing more than a family friendship and merely showing a bit of support for a local lad having played amatuer football with his dad in my younger days.  I have followed Ryan's career obviously with interest as I have with John and Harry Souttar , another 2 local lads who have also done well . 

I reply mostly in frustration at all the negative  comments from people who somehow think that because Ryan is not in the public eye , he has not made a success of his life. He has managed to become part of a new community and culture , learnt a new language and above all , managed it all on his own at a very vulnerable time of his life.  His career has been a constant battle to adapt to different coaching techniques having been loaned out to help him develop . He has always remained grounded and never bought into the "mini Messi" tag lumped on him by the media .  His work ethic and will to succeed is his strength and is paying off now.  That to me is real career progression .

Realistically given the choice of  trying to make it in Portugal or hanging around at United at a stage when they were selling off their assets just to survive  , I know which decision I would take. 

Greeny like ( I have used up my quota for today )

Honestly, the way these threads digress is actually incredible. Arguments about McCall, Leighton, guys who played for Ireland, horrific leg breaks and playing stats

I genuinely forget what I'm supposed to be reading about by the time I've caught up

49 minutes ago, ewan14 said:

Ryan Gauld should be considered for the " no. 10 " for future Scotland teams

He will be. He'd have improved us the last twenty minutes of normal time last night and extra time.  He'll play for Scotland in our next campaign, and probably wasn't far away from being named in this squad with a view to using him in the NL games.

5 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

He will be. He'd have improved us the last twenty minutes of normal time last night and extra time.  He'll play for Scotland in our next campaign, and probably wasn't far away from being named in this squad with a view to using him in the NL games.

Thank you, Steve Clarke.

I doubt anyone will be thinking he hasn't made a success of his life. He seems like he's given football his best shot, and will have earned enough for a comfortable retirement by the time he's done. Certainly one of our best "failures" of recent decades, caps or no.

8 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

You say that but the man who came on late (who I’m guessing is a similar age to Gauld?) Callum Patterson has clearly had, despite how poor a player he is, a far better career than Gauld and is playing at a higher level currently. As such he is the natural choice.

42 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

You say that but the man who came on late (who I’m guessing is a similar age to Gauld?) Callum Patterson has clearly had, despite how poor a player he is, a far better career than Gauld and is playing at a higher level currently. As such he is the natural choice.

Wit?

When did the English Championship become the 5th ranking league in Europe? 

44 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

The natural choice for what?  They're completely different players who play in completely different positions.  And I wouldn't say he has had a 'far' better career, maybe marginally, and plays at a marginally higher level currently. Paterson has spent most of his career at Hearts.  Gauld has played nearly 200 games, his career is much better than most haddies on here think.