Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

2 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Mate you probably pay actual real money to watch Falkirk. You're not in a position to be slagging the standard of football, or crowd sizes, anywhere at all.

I've got a drink in me for that though my friend

On 26/02/2020 at 16:32, Gordopolis said:

Yeah think so. To be honest, a fair number of Scotland 'stars' don't really start to shine at international level until their mid-late twenties (Hutchison, Kenny Miller, Griffiths, McCoist and plenty more). Frustrating but I'd rather have a few late developers than none at all.
That said, I just can't see Gauld climbing back to the status he had 6 years ago. But I could see him getting a cap or two at some point if he becomes a decent performer in the Portuguese top flight. More likely though that he'll fall into that annoying pattern of helping his team blaze a trail to promotion, then get loaned back down again in the summer. Hopefully not as he's currently their captain (temporary or confirmed?), but you never know.

We love you Liam

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/02/2020 at 16:32, Gordopolis said:

To be honest, a fair number of Scotland 'stars' don't really start to shine at international level until their mid-late twenties (Hutchison, Kenny Miller, Griffiths, McCoist and plenty more).

When Kenny Miller came onto the scene at Hibs, and then got the move to Rangers around the millennium, was there a clamour from Scotland fans to get him into the squad? Asking because I was too young at that time and not taking much notice. I know he was impressive at Hibs and I believe he was good for Rangers as well as he got a good move, but I don’t remember him being in Scotland squads around that time, I only really remember him being in the team as he got older. 

9 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

When Kenny Miller came onto the scene at Hibs, and then got the move to Rangers around the millennium, was there a clamour from Scotland fans to get him into the squad? Asking because I was too young at that time and not taking much notice. I know he was impressive at Hibs and I believe he was good for Rangers as well as he got a good move, but I don’t remember him being in Scotland squads around that time, I only really remember him being in the team as he got older. 

IIRC Miller and Mark Burchill were the promising young strikers at the time. Both of them were speedy and seemed to have a good eye for goal.

When Miller first went to Rangers (June 2000), I don't remember there being a huge clamour for him to get into the Scotland squad just because of his move, but I do recall a spell around autumn of that year when he had a purple patch, bagging 5 goals vs St Mirren in one game, then scoring vs Monaco in the Champions' League and getting a few more league goals. He suffered a goal drought after that and his season kind of faded away. So at the end of the year when he got his first cap vs Poland, it was a bit anti-climactic.  He ended up being sold to Wolves and it was a few years before he got his next cap. He did score against Germany but he never really 'clicked' as an international striker till he was about 25 - something to do with Glenn Hoddle (his Wolves manager at the time) coaching him to improve his workrate and movement. For me it was the game vs Italy at Hampden when he scored a beauty of a bullet header that he came of age as an international.

Anyway, typing that football-related  stuff out was somewhat cathartic. This Covid pish is driving me nuts!

9 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Around that time (1999-2000) there was a bit of a cull of the older guys like Durie, Jackson and Gallacher... Bubbling under were Booth, Freedman, Donnelly and Winters(!)... Billy Dodds became the main striker... But the young hopeful at the time was Mark Burchill who - believe it or not - was touted as 'the Scottish Michael Owen' by some wildly overoptimistic pundits (no doubt the same kind of twits who labelled John Fleck as 'the Scottish Wayne Rooney' or that big winger whose name currently escapes me as 'the Scottish Gareth Bale').

Miller won a solitary cap in 2001 after he had already joined Wolves and did not become a regular until 2003.

*Edit: After checking, it seems he may still have been at Rangers when he won his first cap (a 10min sub appearance in a 1-1 friendly against Poland). He was sent on a three-month loan to Wolves the same year before they paid £3M to get him in the December.

Edited by IggyStooge

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

IIRC Miller and Mark Burchill were the promising young strikers at the time. Both of them were speedy and seemed to have a good eye for goal.

When Miller first went to Rangers (June 2000), I don't remember there being a huge clamour for him to get into the Scotland squad just because of his move, but I do recall a spell around autumn of that year when he had a purple patch, bagging 5 goals vs St Mirren in one game, then scoring vs Monaco in the Champions' League and getting a few more league goals. He suffered a goal drought after that and his season kind of faded away. So at the end of the year when he got his first cap vs Poland, it was a bit anti-climactic.  He ended up being sold to Wolves and it was a few years before he got his next cap. He did score against Germany but he never really 'clicked' as an international striker till he was about 25 - something to do with Glenn Hoddle (his Wolves manager at the time) coaching him to improve his workrate and movement. For me it was the game vs Italy at Hampden when he scored a beauty of a bullet header that he came of age as an international.

Anyway, typing that football-related  stuff out was somewhat cathartic. This Covid pish is driving me nuts!

I would imagine if Miller was coming through at this current time there would be much more of a fuss made about getting him into the squad, as seems to be the way when anyone shows even a glimmer of potential. 

I suppose in 2000 Scotland had qualified for the previous World Cup so there wasn’t as much unrest around the team at that time. Did Scotland put up a good show in qualifying for Euro 2000? 

I would imagine if Miller was coming through at this current time there would be much more of a fuss made about getting him into the squad, as seems to be the way when anyone shows even a glimmer of potential. 

I suppose in 2000 Scotland had qualified for the previous World Cup so there wasn’t as much unrest around the team at that time. Did Scotland put up a good show in qualifying for Euro 2000? 
Narrowly beaten by England in the play offs