Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

Ready for a first cap at 25 [emoji3525]

Was John Fleck not 27?

Ryan Gauld really has been one big disappointment since moving to Portugal, things on the park just haven’t worked for him, even his loan spells back to Scotland, but for the lads sake and maybe that of the national team then maybe things have started to turn the corner for him, but before we even think of Scotland call ups etc etc, he needs to be playing well regularly.

Was John Fleck not 27?

Ryan Gauld really has been one big disappointment since moving to Portugal, things on the park just haven’t worked for him, even his loan spells back to Scotland, but for the lads sake and maybe that of the national team then maybe things have started to turn the corner for him, but before we even think of Scotland call ups etc etc, he needs to be playing well regularly.
Yeah think so. To be honest, a fair number of Scotland 'stars' don't really start to shine at international level until their mid-late twenties (Hutchison, Kenny Miller, Griffiths, McCoist and plenty more). Frustrating but I'd rather have a few late developers than none at all.
That said, I just can't see Gauld climbing back to the status he had 6 years ago. But I could see him getting a cap or two at some point if he becomes a decent performer in the Portuguese top flight. More likely though that he'll fall into that annoying pattern of helping his team blaze a trail to promotion, then get loaned back down again in the summer. Hopefully not as he's currently their captain (temporary or confirmed?), but you never know.

On 26/02/2020 at 16:32, Gordopolis said:

Yeah think so. To be honest, a fair number of Scotland 'stars' don't really start to shine at international level until their mid-late twenties (Hutchison, Kenny Miller, Griffiths, McCoist and plenty more). Frustrating but I'd rather have a few late developers than none at all.
That said, I just can't see Gauld climbing back to the status he had 6 years ago. But I could see him getting a cap or two at some point if he becomes a decent performer in the Portuguese top flight. More likely though that he'll fall into that annoying pattern of helping his team blaze a trail to promotion, then get loaned back down again in the summer. Hopefully not as he's currently their captain (temporary or confirmed?), but you never know.

Every word of this is filler with zero insight, analysis or any basis in fact whatsoever. 

Personally, I think he should receive a call-up for the Israel game, just so Clarke can see where he is and for him to train with the lads etc. Whether or not he's in the matchday squad is another matter.

He'll be playing in the LigaNOS next season, which is probably a slightly better standard than our Premiership. We'll also get to see him play on the TV via Freesports as well, hopefully.

I'm very happy for him that he seems to finally be enjoying his football again, the issue at Sporting was he was never given a proper run of games - he looked to have finally turned the corner at Vitoria before he got recalled due to a separate argument between the two clubs.

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

Gauld should receive a call up because next season he'll probably be playing in a league which has games on something called "FreeSports".

This bit of the forum is absolutely insane. 

I didn't say that, I said he's playing well so should get a call-up to a Scotland training camp so the Coaching Staff can see where he is. I reckon the LigaPro in Portugal is no different to our Championship so it's not a radical suggestion. I then went on to say, as a completely different point, we'll get to see him play on TV next season. Whilst we're at it, the other leagues on Freesports are La Liga, MLS and Serie A, so it's hardly in bad company.

I don't think you quite understand English mate.

It's our biggest game in over a decade and you want the coaching staff to be wasting their time on what is basically a work experience placement for a Portuguese second tier player?

"Sorry Premier League regular Kenny McLean, there's no room in the squad for you. We just thought this was a good time to see where Ryan is in training rather than just watching his games like we do for every other player."

I'd like to think we've got people in those positions with enough experience in football behind them to be able to tell whether a player is good enough without wasting a squad place on someone who has absolutely no chance of playing.

The only spots we should be treating like that are for a very select group of youth players making the transition into the senior from the youth squads.  And even then I have doubts about the benefit of that.  

18 hours ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

I can’t believe there is a thread with so many pages about a shite player like Gauld

he’s a poor man’s Ian Cameron

I can't believe there's so many people on here who have no interest in Ryan Gauld yet come on here to tell everyone how they can't believe people are interested in Ryan Gauld.