Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Lewis Stevenson was capped last year.

Touche! 

Although I think that due to the all the call offs for the summer tour and there isn't one this season.

Think of how many players are in front of Gauld. Plus what has Gauld actually done to merit a cap? Are we saying he'll be so good for Hibs that he'll get in in front of guys like McGinn, Armstrong, McGregor, McTominay, Christie, Shinnie, Fraser, McDonald, McLean and others I've probably forgotten.

Touche! 
Although I think that due to the all the call offs for the summer tour and there isn't one this season.
Think of how many players are in front of Gauld. Plus what has Gauld actually done to merit a cap? Are we saying he'll be so good for Hibs that he'll get in in front of guys like McGinn, Armstrong, McGregor, McTominay, Christie, Shinnie, Fraser, McDonald, McLean and others I've probably forgotten.
Fair point - all the games this year are competitive.
Could see him getting on as a sub in a game where we were short of players (assuming he's ripping up trees at Hibs).

39 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Fair point - all the games this year are competitive.
Could see him getting on as a sub in a game where we were short of players (assuming he's ripping up trees at Hibs).

I can't as he won't ever get in to a Scotland squad, let alone be on the bench.

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Touche! 

This is a terrible argument. At the same age as Gauld is now, Armstrong was at United, McLean at St Mirren, Shinnie at ICT, McDonald on loan at Notts County and McGinn was playing so well for Hibs that he merited caps.

Gauld was good enough to get picked up by a major European club  (not Norwich) for £3M and I suspect he has learned a lot being there. There is a Portuguese commentator on Twitter who laments his bad luck and says he would easily play for the majority of the teams in that league. 

Give the guy a chance.

15 minutes ago, Snobot said:

This is a terrible argument. At the same age as Gauld is now, Armstrong was at United, McLean at St Mirren, Shinnie at ICT, McDonald on loan at Notts County and McGinn was playing so well for Hibs that he merited caps.

Gauld was good enough to get picked up by a major European club  (not Norwich) for £3M and I suspect he has learned a lot being there. There is a Portuguese commentator on Twitter who laments his bad luck and says he would easily play for the majority of the teams in that league. 

Give the guy a chance.

I hope he is brilliant and goes on to have loads of Scotland caps.

I don't think he will though. I don't think he'll get any.

7 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I hope he is brilliant and goes on to have loads of Scotland caps.

I don't think he will though. I don't think he'll get any.

I hope he is brilliant too and I suppose this is a pointless discussion until such a time as he proves me right :P

22 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Decent chance of that. I'm just a bit uncertain because he might flop at Hibs (like Watt at Hearts and St Johnstone) and if that happens it would be unlikely he'll ever reach full international level.

I think (and hope) he will be a success at Hibs, but there's just that niggling doubt.

Is he out of contract at the end of this season?

Tony Watt has not flopped at St Johnstone. He's one of their best performing and most popular players.

Tony Watt has not flopped at St Johnstone. He's one of their best performing and most popular players.
Trying to keep this objective: 1 goal in 17 games is certainly a 'flop' in the context of getting yourself into the international reckoning.

Popularity should play no part in a player getting a call up. And out of interest how do you quantify best performing?

Trying to keep this objective: 1 goal in 17 games is certainly a 'flop' in the context of getting yourself into the international reckoning.

Popularity should play no part in a player getting a call up. And out of interest how do you quantify best performing?
1 goal in 17 games for a striker is brutal. I had thought he was doing well there but hadn't seen that stat.

As for Gauld, I've been a follower/hopeful fan of his since he got the move to sporting, as a hearts fan it's hard to want him to do well now. For what it's worth I see him doing well, he looked class at Dundee United. Cue Charlie Adam signing for us and annihilating him 1st tackle or some other farmer from Hamilton/Motherwell

On 13/01/2019 at 11:09, Gordopolis said:

Decent chance of that. I'm just a bit uncertain because he might flop at Hibs (like Watt at Hearts and St Johnstone) and if that happens it would be unlikely he'll ever reach full international level.

I think (and hope) he will be a success at Hibs, but there's just that niggling doubt.

Is he out of contract at the end of this season?

For me Gauld was one of the best players in the country before he went to Portugal. I’d be amazed if he hasn’t improved. I think he’ll do well at Hibs but they won’t be able to hold on to him after that. Gauld has filled out to some degree, but it’s his brain that does most of the work. 

My prediction at the time was that Gauld - like many before him - would get nowhere near first team football and would come back half the player, lacking any confidence he had before he went. Expect him to be plying his trade in the Scottish Championship before long.

I wish him well, however.

My prediction at the time was that Gauld - like many before him - would get nowhere near first team football and would come back half the player, lacking any confidence he had before he went. Expect him to be plying his trade in the Scottish Championship before long.
I wish him well, however.
I expect he will be declared bankrupt and end up as the biggest ever failure in Scottish Football.

...I wish him well, however.

On 14/01/2019 at 11:33, Gordopolis said:

He's scored 3 league goals, officially. A heavily deflected one against Hibs, then two winners against Dundee and St Mirren.

Overall he's at 6 goals and 5 assists in 25 games.

He's the most complete striker we've had since Sandaza, far too good for us.

He's scored 3 league goals, officially. A heavily deflected one against Hibs, then two winners against Dundee and St Mirren.

But absolutely nowhere near an international recall.

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:
2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

But absolutely nowhere near an international recall.

I'd have Naismith and Griffiths ahead of him from the Scottish leagues, and McBurnie probably deserves to still be ahead of him, maybe Fletcher too. But I'd argue his case against anyone beyond that.

On 1/12/2019 at 19:22, Cptn Hooch said:
On 1/12/2019 at 19:20, Monkey Tennis said:
So apart from that brief fourteen season snapshot in its epoch spanning 26.5 year existence, it's never been called the Premiership.
You were so close to being right earlier.

Well done...good condescending tone and execution. Feel like a big man noo? I quite clearly said I was mistaken

He's a complete loser mate take no notice of him.