DjembaDjemba

9 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Fulton "The Tartan Baggio"
Donnelly "Dalglish-like"
Burchill "Scotland's answer to Michael Owen"
Fleck "The Scottish Wayne Rooney"
Gauld "Baby Messi"
Burke "The Scottish Bale"

Has any Scottish player ever come close to justifying silly comparisons like these?

In fairness, as a player, Donnelly did resemble Dalglish.

Paul Dalglish.

On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 18:42, John Lambies Doos said:

Exactly, sick off Scottish people refering to the English Premiership as the Premiership. Hate the way that Scotland copied England, but the use of just the premiership should refer to our league. It's shite but it's our shite.

I don't think the English Premier League has ever been called the Premiership. Was the first division and became the EPL in 92. Think the reason people call it the Premiership has to do with the next league down being the Championship

I don't think the English Premier League has ever been called the Premiership. Was the first division and became the EPL in 92. Think the reason people call it the Premiership has to do with the next league down being the Championship

Off course it has, was called the Carling Premiership for years. Referred to as the premiership

45 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Off course it has, was called the Carling Premiership for years. Referred to as the premiership

Forgot about that...fair enough, I stand corrected. Looked further into it and it was the Carling Premiership from 93 to 01 then the Barclays Premiership until 07 and has since been the Premier League.

On 11/01/2019 at 10:51, Gordopolis said:

Fulton "The Tartan Baggio"
Donnelly "Dalglish-like"
Burchill "Scotland's answer to Michael Owen"
Fleck "The Scottish Wayne Rooney"
Gauld "Baby Messi"
Burke "The Scottish Bale"

Has any Scottish player ever come close to justifying silly comparisons like these?

I remember all of these far too vividly for them just to have been passing comments... unfortunately.

I remember all of these far too vividly for them just to have been passing comments... unfortunately.
Funny to think that, as things stand, Donnelly was the most successful of them all (10 caps, part of a World Cup squad, leagues, cups and titles with Celtic).

I expect Burke will beat his caps tally.

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

Funny to think that, as things stand, Donnelly was the most successful of them all (10 caps, part of a World Cup squad, leagues, cups and titles with Celtic).

I expect Burke will beat his caps tally.

So will Gauld.

18 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Forgot about that...fair enough, I stand corrected. Looked further into it and it was the Carling Premiership from 93 to 01 then the Barclays Premiership until 07 and has since been the Premier League.

So apart from that brief fourteen season snapshot in its epoch spanning 26.5 year existence, it's never been called the Premiership.

You were so close to being right earlier.

So apart from that brief fourteen season snapshot in its epoch spanning 26.5 year existence, it's never been called the Premiership.
Well done...good condescending tone and execution. Feel like a big man noo? I quite clearly said I was mistaken

4 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:
7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Well done...good condescending tone and execution. Feel like a big man noo? I quite clearly said I was mistaken

Yes.

Yes I do.

18 hours ago, woof! said:

So will Gauld.

Decent chance of that. I'm just a bit uncertain because he might flop at Hibs (like Watt at Hearts and St Johnstone) and if that happens it would be unlikely he'll ever reach full international level.

I think (and hope) he will be a success at Hibs, but there's just that niggling doubt.

Is he out of contract at the end of this season?