Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

21 hours ago, The Algebraist said:

Found this article interesting - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46795246 - all very talented youngsters, few really made it. 

Can you imagine the hype on here if a Scottish player debuted in the Prem at 16

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Fleck_(footballer)

Image result for john fleck

Spoiler

I know you mean the English Prem, but couldn't resist.

Edited by Gordopolis

On 06/01/2019 at 11:17, Gordopolis said:

Be interesting if Hibs get Scott Allan too - two gifted attacking midfielders who just seem to be unable to get their careers going after years of trying

I wouldn’t say Allan had years of trying, he doesn’t stike me the consummate professional.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Fleck_(footballer)
115409.jpg&key=ae99fb798e42f90983ebc0015a6e26162b9c47d9759f84dc216c1f1069e27ddf

Spoiler I know you mean the English Prem, but couldn't resist.

Exactly, sick off Scottish people refering to the English Premiership as the Premiership. Hate the way that Scotland copied England, but the use of just the premiership should refer to our league. It's shite but it's our shite.

I wouldn’t say Allan had years of trying, he doesn’t stike me the consummate professional.
He doesn't have a rep as a lout or a drinker does he (I genuinely don't know)? He always looks in shape as well. I thought it was more because he is seen as a 'luxury' player.

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:
5 hours ago, gannonball said:

He doesn't have a rep as a lout or a drinker does he (I genuinely don't know)? He always looks in shape as well. I thought it was more because he is seen as a 'luxury' player.

His nickname was the "chubby baller" at Hibs was it not? He also had a Billy big time at Dundee Utd as a youngster by all accounts

Ah yes, the Fleck hype: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/rangers/4425378/Rangers-teenager-John-Fleck-hailed-as-Scotlands-Wayne-Rooney.html

As Rangers brace themselves for the possible loss of three first-team regulars - Barry Ferguson, Allan McGregor and Kris Boyd - before the transfer window ends on Monday night, their fans were invited to contemplate the possibility that John Fleck is emerging as Scotland's equivalent of Wayne Rooney.

Fulton "The Tartan Baggio"
Donnelly "Dalglish-like"
Burchill "Scotland's answer to Michael Owen"
Fleck "The Scottish Wayne Rooney"
Gauld "Baby Messi"
Burke "The Scottish Bale"

Has any Scottish player ever come close to justifying silly comparisons like these?

2 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Fulton "The Tartan Baggio"
Donnelly "Dalglish-like"
Burchill "Scotland's answer to Michael Owen"
Fleck "The Scottish Wayne Rooney"
Gauld "Baby Messi"
Burke "The Scottish Bale"

Has any Scottish player ever come close to justifying silly comparisons like these?

No Scottish player has ever lived up to any comparison, ever.  Well, no positive ones anyway.

Yet still we keep doing it (as a wider fanbase at least) despite every time we say "this guy's the answer", it very quickly shows that if he was, then we had the wrong question.

There's always such a desperation for success.  I guess it's kind of understandable given how poor we've been for years, but putting so much hope on players so early is never going to work.  Gauld and Burke should be shining examples of that.  Just let the guys find their way in the game without expecting the world, because the next step then always becomes the "see!  He wis shite awalong!"

7 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

I have no problem with people being enthusiastic about young promising Scottish players, and let's face it. That's all it is. And it certainly beats the idiots who seem desperate to shoot them down at every opportunity.

I wouldn't say either extreme is that helpful.  There's certainly a core of people who want to shit on everything, which is troubling, but there's also those - as evidenced by the first few pages of the Burke thread - that are happy to heap all kinds of praise on a young guy who very well could end up being little more than just quite good at football.  Burke is a very good footballer, and Gauld is a very good footballer, and both still have the potential to be very important to us.

I know it's the internet and everything, and you've often got to jump with gusto to one extreme or the other, but some people just need to calm down a bit.

It's not helpful, but I don't think it's exactly damaging either. Don't think the other extreme does much either tbh, but the enthusiasm is much more understandable, and I don't understand why so many people shut it down, especially with the glee that many do.

I'm all for people getting enthusiastic about young players if there's reason to be, and there has been in these cases.