Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

1 hour ago, theoriginalhedge said:

The continual reference of Ryan's perceived failure  and the assumption that things would have been better for him here  might be a reason.  

He made a complete life changing decision which by all accounts he doesn't regret for one minute. 

ETA  If his U21 experience is anything to go by it is maybe a good thing he moved away from Scotland as he was mostly played as a holding defensive midfielder.  Scottish managers have a history of playing players in strange positions to stubbornly try and prove that they know best.   That is probably why Scotland are where they are now. 

Perceived failure?

I've nothing against the player and as I've already said, his decision was to be admired.

Playing intermittently in the second tier at this stage however, represents a failure to progress as anticipated.  It may be that he does indeed enjoy his lifestyle there.  In football terms though, saying that the move has not proved successful, is not reliant on mere perception.

37 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Perceived failure?

I've nothing against the player and as I've already said, his decision was to be admired.

Playing intermittently in the second tier at this stage however, represents a failure to progress as anticipated.  It may be that he does indeed enjoy his lifestyle there.  In football terms though, saying that the move has not proved successful, is not reliant on mere perception.

I am not having a go at you personally although you did say his move has been disastrous.  I have merely tried to counter that  with a much more realistic outlook. 

He has had a few long term  injuries at inconvenient times (just when he was starting to make an impact at both Sporting and  latterly Aves last season )  resulting in him having to prove fitness on his return each time.  This in itself has hampered his progress and put him further down the pecking order.   The same happened to Andy Jackson when at St Johnstone.  He was making a name for himself and climbing the international ladder with Northern Ireland . He has battled back numerous times but not nearly to his  previous standard , but nevertheless a stand out (when fit) in League 1 .  

The same might be said of Ryan with the only difference being that Sporting must be seeing a potential to keep him on their books .  Either way , both players seem to be enjoying life , however challenging.  A successful career is not always about fulfilling other people's expectations.  Your own Stephen Dobbie may be  testament to that . 

Edited by theoriginalhedge

Aye I doubt he regrets his choice for a second and nor should he. Sounds like he loves the lifestyle and culture of Portugal, both in terms of on and off the pitch.

As others have said, he is to be commended for trying something different and sticking with it, as he could easily be kicking around the English Championship or League 1 with some dross like Rotherham or Preston etc.

Why is it so laughable to still have hopes a young player's career isn't fucked age 22?

Plenty of former players have had to drop a level to make a success of themselves.

I don't think anyone is saying that Gauld is going to be winning Balon D'ors but he is still young and it is always going to be interesting to see how he gets on abroad

Why is it so laughable to still have hopes a young player's career isn't fucked age 22?
Plenty of former players have had to drop a level to make a success of themselves.
I don't think anyone is saying that Gauld is going to be winning Balon D'ors but he is still young and it is always going to be interesting to see how he gets on abroad

If he can take a competent throw in he’s an improvement on what we’ve got.

On 13/10/2018 at 12:00, Monkey Tennis said:

Perceived failure?

Calling Gaulds career a "disaster" or "unbelievably bad" is entirely your perception. Other people have the perception that things could have gone better for him, but a lot of circumstances were out-with his control. He's now at a club where he seems happy and is trying to fight his way into the starting 11, something that I imagine more than just Ryan Gauld will need to do at a new club. He's played more than double the amount of senior games (over 140 at this stage) that Jack Harper has (around 60 senior games for him, over 50 of them with Malaga's B team) and given that Harper now looks to be progressing with Malaga, I think it would be fair to hold off on any predictions on Gauld.  I fail to see what's amusing about people not being eternally negative about future prospects. There are no other young Scottish players who will have the education (on and off the field) that Gauld is getting. Let's just see what he does, no?

Personally I know where I would prefer to " waste" my years .  8)

I completely agree. However I think his career would have worked out better if he’d followed the normal route. Could be wrong of course, time will tell.

Sporting would have cut their losses if they didn't still see something in him. They bring through alot of young talent by sending them on loan for a few seasons. He's still young and will go on to have a decent enough career at least. Injuries have obviously played their part in how he has progressed so far, so hopefully he's over the worst of them and can get a good run in the team to help his progression.

is going to be a superstar.
In Scotland we have an archaic attitude to lots of aspects of football. Holland, who are obviously much better than us, just named a guy in their senior squad who made his first team debut 3 weeks ago.
We have no meaningful games for the next year. Gauld is clearly going to make that number 10 role in behind the striker his own sooner or later.
Should he not be chucked in now give him as much experience as possible before the games start to count? IMO he shoud feature in the games against Norway and USA, I would have him in the squad and start him in both.

Is it not about time to anoint the next superstar?

Ryan is taking a bit too long for my liking. I’m having doubts about him.

Sporting would have cut their losses if they didn't still see something in him. They bring through alot of young talent by sending them on loan for a few seasons. He's still young and will go on to have a decent enough career at least. Injuries have obviously played their part in how he has progressed so far, so hopefully he's over the worst of them and can get a good run in the team to help his progression.
Has he had any "big" injuries? I can only recall knocks and strains, but not any disastrous ones like cruciate ligament or breaks.

Has he had any "big" injuries? I can only recall knocks and strains, but not any disastrous ones like cruciate ligament or breaks.
Not to my knowledge. He has been picking up niggly injuries alot though, which could be due to the difference in conditioning between the two countries or just sheer bad luck on his part.

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Calling Gaulds career a "disaster" or "unbelievably bad" is entirely your perception. Other people have the perception that things could have gone better for him, but a lot of circumstances were out-with his control. He's now at a club where he seems happy and is trying to fight his way into the starting 11, something that I imagine more than just Ryan Gauld will need to do at a new club. He's played more than double the amount of senior games (over 140 at this stage) that Jack Harper has (around 60 senior games for him, over 50 of them with Malaga's B team) and given that Harper now looks to be progressing with Malaga, I think it would be fair to hold off on any predictions on Gauld.  I fail to see what's amusing about people not being eternally negative about future prospects. There are no other young Scottish players who will have the education (on and off the field) that Gauld is getting. Let's just see what he does, no?

I didn't say anything was "unbelievably bad", so that's not a perception of mine at all.

Yes, we can wait to see what he does, just as we've now been doing for over four years.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I didn't say anything was "unbelievably bad", so that's not a perception of mine at all.

Aside from his career trajectory in this post on the previous page, you mean?

On 13/10/2018 at 08:49, Monkey Tennis said:

There's no doubt that this guy's career has taken an unbelievably bad trajectory. 

If he's 26 and still plodding around the Portuguese second division I will bow to your superior clairvoyance. 

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Aside from his career trajectory in this post on the previous page, you mean?

If he's 26 and still plodding around the Portuguese second division I will bow to your superior clairvoyance. 

:lol: Fair enough.  I didn't remember saying that. 

It's not quite the same as saying his career is unbelievably bad, but yeah, I suppose your point stands. 

I genuinely hope he does emerge as a good player with a good career.  I just think it's self evident that thus far, it's not gone well.  It's bizarre that saying so is somehow controversial.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

:lol: Fair enough.  I didn't remember saying that. 

It's not quite the same as saying his career is unbelievably bad, but yeah, I suppose your point stands. 

I genuinely hope he does emerge as a good player with a good career.  I just think it's self evident that thus far, it's not gone well.  It's bizarre that saying so is somehow controversial.

It's fine saying his career hasn't gone so well, or as well as we all hoped. Then predicting that he'll amount to nothing because of the evidence of the last 4 years is jumping the gun a bit though.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

It's fine saying his career hasn't gone so well, or as well as we all hoped. Then predicting that he'll amount to nothing because of the evidence of the last 4 years is jumping the gun a bit though.

Now I'm pretty sure that I really didn't do that last bit. 

I simply said we've waited a lot already.

John Fleck is 27 and he seems to have resurfaced as a possible call-up. Maybe Gauld will do the same.

14 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Now I'm pretty sure that I really didn't do that last bit. 

I simply said we've waited a lot already.

If you still think he has a chance of becoming a player, then why do you find people talking up his prospects amusing?

On 13/10/2018 at 08:49, Monkey Tennis said:

It amuses me when people still try to talk up his progress and prospects.

15 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

If you still think he has a chance of becoming a player, then why do you find people talking up his prospects amusing?

Because it's needy and reliant more on blind faith than any strong likelihood. 

I do find the charting of his fleeting appearances a bit laughable to be honest.  It's clearly not happened for him, but his disciples see a heresy in anyone saying so.

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Because it's needy and reliant more on blind faith than any strong likelihood. 

I do find the charting of his fleeting appearances a bit laughable to be honest.  It's clearly not happened for him, but his disciples see a heresy in anyone saying so.

Needy? It's people keeping an eye on a players career, we're not looking for attention or recognition of what great fans we are of Ryan Gauld.

What an odd stance. If you don't think the boys up to much then I'd recommend not reading a thread dedicated to him.