Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

He doesn't have to be to be a big player for Scotland.  He'll obviously get lots of caps Stevie wonder can see that.

When are these caps going to start rolling in? That Scotland midfield was honking vs Israel yet he is not even on the radar for a call up. Loaned to a second division side, hardly inspiring.

1 hour ago, Clyde01 said:

When are these caps going to start rolling in? That Scotland midfield was honking vs Israel yet he is not even on the radar for a call up. Loaned to a second division side, hardly inspiring.

Down to club politics more than anything . Sporting Lisbon are a bit of a shambles at the moment with changes of management and boardroom. 

He is happy playing where he is by all accounts .  Encouraging that Sporting Club are wanting to keep hold of him for the long term. 

Down to club politics more than anything . Sporting Lisbon are a bit of a shambles at the moment with changes of management and boardroom. 
He is happy playing where he is by all accounts .  Encouraging that Sporting Club are wanting to keep hold of him for the long term. 

We are blooding young players at international level like souttar, McKenna, McGinn. If he is (or might become) anywhere near good enough why not get him involved? The answer I fear is he is nowhere near good enough and seemingly made of glass. He is 22 now and nowhere near being in contention.

I would be very surprised if the standard of the Portuguese second tier is better than our top flight. Whether it’s down to Sporting being a basket case or not it’s hardly an impressive level to be playing at for this stage of his career.

1 hour ago, Clyde01 said:

We are blooding young players at international level like souttar, McKenna, McGinn. If he is (or might become) anywhere near good enough why not get him involved? The answer I fear is he is nowhere near good enough and seemingly made of glass. He is 22 now and nowhere near being in contention.

I would be very surprised if the standard of the Portuguese second tier is better than our top flight. Whether it’s down to Sporting being a basket case or not it’s hardly an impressive level to be playing at for this stage of his career.

I think the choice is his.  He is enjoying it , making a good living out of it , learning a different language and culture ...........basically loving life. 

I am sure he is not losing any sleep about not being selected to play for a sub standard international backwater side . 

There's no doubt that this guy's career has taken an unbelievably bad trajectory.  He was a regular in a decent top flight side five years ago and hasn't been since.

The move he made was courageous and to be applauded at the time.  In retrospect though, it's clearly proved disastrous.  

It amuses me when people still try to talk up his progress and prospects.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Obviously I’d be delightful if he turned his career around, but it really is a sign of how shite we’ve become that so many people on here tragically follow his career breath by breath creaming themselves whenever he makes an appearance in the Portuguese second tier.

6 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

There's no doubt that this guy's career has taken an unbelievably bad trajectory.  He was a regular in a decent top flight side five years ago and hasn't been since.

The move he made was courageous and to be applauded at the time.  In retrospect though, it's clearly proved disastrous.  

It amuses me when people still try to talk up his progress and prospects.

It amuses me that some people still think Scottish football is something to be proud of. 

25 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, that can be amusing too.

Why bring it up here though?

The continual reference of Ryan's perceived failure  and the assumption that things would have been better for him here  might be a reason.  

He made a complete life changing decision which by all accounts he doesn't regret for one minute. 

ETA  If his U21 experience is anything to go by it is maybe a good thing he moved away from Scotland as he was mostly played as a holding defensive midfielder.  Scottish managers have a history of playing players in strange positions to stubbornly try and prove that they know best.   That is probably why Scotland are where they are now. 

Edited by theoriginalhedge