Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

Promoted to the first team squad.

The hard work starts now.

Magic, hopefully he can make a good attempt of at least playing semi regularly this season with the hope of cementing a place in the team the following season.

So prediction time for the masses. How many games will he play for Sporting Lisbon this coming season?

The confidence amongst some here suggests he will play a fair few since he has made it or he is ready to?

I think he'll play 15-20 games for Sporting next season.

Hopefully that'll be enough for him to get into the Scotland squad.

Guest DAVIDB69

I think he'll play 15-20 games for Sporting next season.

Hopefully that'll be enough for him to get into the Scotland squad.

Let's hope so as we are badly lacking players playing a decent level

The report I saw, which had been loosely translated from Portuguese, said that he's been promoted to the first team for preseason training, after which Jorge Jesus will decide whether he'll stay and remain with the squad for the full season, or be loaned out to another Primeira Liga club.

Only two players have been promoted from the B team (Gauld and Podence, whoever he is), so it is a genuinely pretty good achievement considering that they came so close to winning the title, will be playing in the CL next season, and will no doubt be looking to add to their squad with transfers this summer as well.

But I'm sure some people would rather he were playing games for Rotherham.

I hope he sticks it out, he is still only 20 and learning, granted we could do with his talents Nationally as we are so poor but Lisbon are no mugs as a Club either, its up to him to take the chance to shine, if he doesn't then he will be put out on loan but I hope for his sake they don't send him back to the UK as what will he learn that he didn't learn playing for DU? A loan to the English Championship will mark the end of any chance he has of making it there as it would be to effectively put him in shop window really...this time in 2 years I can see him being a regular for Lisbon and doing well.

I doubt he will ever go to England. He's too small, he would be better off lower down the leagues on the continent than the English championship

Hes the same height as Shaun Maloney...

Edited by RandomGuy.

Did shaun maloney play for a Portuguese youth team?

I don't see how that changes things? You said Gaulds too small for England, despite the fact we currently have a Scot the same size as him playing there.

Badly worded. Meant the football in Portuguese and Spanish leagues would suit him more, and considering we're talking about the hypothetical situation of him not making it at Lisbon, I don't think the championship would be the right place for him to rebuild