Bitcoin/cryptocurrency thread

I'm wishing I had put a bit more in myself. Has doubled since your post. Now around 5 x the price when I took a punt a few months ago. With the Microsoft partnership and the data marketplace trials ongoing it looks like there could still be a fair bit to go. Providing the trials go well, this one could be a pretty groundbreaking concept. It looks less like a cryptocurrency and more an investment in the concept itself at the moment.

Yeah absolutely! Microsoft, Bosch and Samsung are huge backers to have.

I tried to put £300 more in Iota a few days ago, bought the ethereum to do so but, upon transferring from bitstamp to many wallet, it’s just disappeared. Bitstamp having huge problems according to the reddit page, so that’s a bit of a hurdle...

Just now, Alex_14 said:

Yeah absolutely! Microsoft, Bosch and Samsung are huge backers to have.

I tried to put £300 more in Iota a few days ago, bought the ethereum to do so but, upon transferring from bitstamp to many wallet, it’s just disappeared. Bitstamp having huge problems according to the reddit page, so that’s a bit of a hurdle...

Bitfinex are also having ongoing problems, I was unable to look at any of my wallets over the last couple of days, seems they have been under repeated DDOS attacks and have bumped up all sorts of security settings in an attempt to protect client holdings and stabalise the site and trading platform. Just need to hope they haven't nicked my f*cking holding by the time I get to see it again!

Bitfinex are also having ongoing problems, I was unable to look at any of my wallets over the last couple of days, seems they have been under repeated DDOS attacks and have bumped up all sorts of security settings in an attempt to protect client holdings and stabalise the site and trading platform. Just need to hope they haven't nicked my f*cking holding by the time I get to see it again!

Yeah I’ve been reading that it’s pretty much unusable for Americans now. I use Binance generally, they seem the most reliable.

I recommend Exodus wallet by the way. They don’t hold IOTA yet (but plan to in the future) but funnily enough I think that works in our favour, as, once iota is compatible with mainstream wallets the price will go up further.

2 minutes ago, Alex_14 said:

Yeah I’ve been reading that it’s pretty much unusable for Americans now. I use Binance generally, they seem the most reliable.

I recommend Exodus wallet by the way. They don’t hold IOTA yet (but plan to in the future) but funnily enough I think that works in our favour, as, once iota is compatible with mainstream wallets the price will go up further.

From what I have read on various forums and reddit, Bitfinex went down around the time of a flashcrash in a few holdings and their response to it has pissed off a lot of people. I am guessing that those are the folk currently exacting petty revenge.

On a related note, the founder of the company I work for was in the press in the last few days slaughtering bitcoin and calling it outright dangerous. I'm guessing he didn't buy any...

22 hours ago, Alex_14 said:

They don’t hold IOTA yet (but plan to in the future) but funnily enough I think that works in our favour, as, once iota is compatible with mainstream wallets the price will go up further.

Pretty much double in price since this time yesterday. Seems way overbought now but no one seems to be taking a big profit and dumping. Has to take a huge dip at some point when some folk decide they want to cash in. I'm selling nothing until the data market place trials are done. It will either seriously take off then(Moreso than now, this really could be a game changing concept with the way the world is going) or it will crash completely and I end up 200 quid down. I'm prepared to take that risk as I definitely see huge growth potential if it works out.

15 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Is the value based totally on what people read on the media and internet about it, or is there anything of intrinsic worth about the "mining"?

Largely based on opinion and trust for me but with some intrinsic value in the programming and tech. Even though I have invested in a few, I still don't fully accept the value that is perceived to be there is actually there. The technology behind a few looks like it could change aspects of several different industries(Ripple for example seems aimed at speeding up interbank settlement and making cash movements instant rather than over the 1-3 working days pish you are still told now by some banks) but even if the tech behind it catches on, there is nothing to say the "coins" will retain any value.

I invested in bitcoin because I felt the bubble was only just really starting(Was at 2k a coin when I bought my 8th of one...). People go on about the shoeshine boy being a sign of the time to get out, but in the case of Bitcoin it seems the shoeshine boy was largely in first. There is still no serious institutional cash in there but I think eventually it will trickle in and it will inflate it further. If I can make a few grand before it goes pop, I'll be happy.

Iota I took a punt on because I think the concept behind it is very much the way the world is heading. Automation and smart technology with everything linked and feeding off each other. Whether or not the iota system is the one that catches on I don't know, but again it was worth a small punt for me.

Stellar is the only other one I have invested in. 2 reasons for this. The price was very low and I think that will catch a lot of interest from folk who think they can make a lot of money without trying to hard, and also because of their link up with IBM which should see them get a level of integration that a lot of others will struggle to compete with.

If I lose my money, it's a bad day at the bookies but the amounts I have invested will have next to no impact on my life if lost. If I make a bit, magic, but I don't see myself retiring off the back of any of them. Chances are I am "The greater fool" who is funding the fucking bubble in the first place.

On 11/8/2017 at 19:35, djchapsticks said:

Nothing concrete. Just keeping a keen eye on it, perhaps sit on it for a year or two and see how it develops.

I'm comfortable enough in that if I lose it, I won't ruin myself. If I gain from it though, it's a potentially very tidy little earner. At this point, I'd possibly jump off at £10k but again, that's subjective as to how well it's doing. Think the main thing to take from BTC so far in it's lifespan is that it continues to defy forecasts. I've heard the bubble chat for 4 years now and it's reared it's head again this week.

Touching on $17k now, up 25% in the last 24 hours as I type this....

13 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

It's absolutely mental. I could bail out just now and walk with £3.5k profit. I am still in it for the long (or at least medium) haul though

Was a ballsy move but we’ll done. Hopefully a bit more to be made before it pops and we both get out before that happens!

Minor frustration getting bittrex account enabled just now. Anyone had that? I think their support is probably snowed under with new accounts.
Put a wee bit of my btc up there to spread risk (of loss basically) so in there i've gone from about £20 worth to £1800ish. Pretty radge. Better than any football bet i ever placed, certainly.

2 hours ago, bopolopoluss1 said:

That's from Coinbase, could you point me in the direction of something better? I'm still relatively new to using bitcoin.

No help I'm afraid but I thought the value of Bitcoin was that it was a cost free, frictionless and very fast way of transferring money?

So did I, this is the first time i've come across this type of fee. From the coinbase FAQ page: 

"In order to ensure that transactions are processed on digital currency networks, it's best that all outgoing transactions to external digital currency addresses have a mining fee attached to it. This fee is paid to the digital currency miners, who process the transactions and secure the respective network.

Coinbase does not pay the network mining fee on behalf of customers for outgoing digital currency transactions.

The fee you pay for outgoing transactions is calculated dynamically at the time the transaction is created. This means that the fee may be higher or lower depending on the overall transaction volume currently on the digital currency network. The fees are displayed on the send confirmation screen. Please note that no portion of this fee goes to Coinbase."