Bitcoin/cryptocurrency thread

I am going to buy some crypto currency. Had it back in uni but sold as was short in cash. I’m only going to buy about £1k worth. Anyone able to give me a couple recommendations? I wont hold it against you if I don’t end up a multi millionaire. As long as there is sound enough reasoning behind the choices I don’t mind losing a bit of cash

6 hours ago, Tartan Dave said:

I am going to buy some crypto currency. Had it back in uni but sold as was short in cash. I’m only going to buy about £1k worth. Anyone able to give me a couple recommendations? I wont hold it against you if I don’t end up a multi millionaire. As long as there is sound enough reasoning behind the choices I don’t mind losing a bit of cash

$LTC for me.

Both $BTC and $ETH are in price discovery ranges right now yet $LTC has not got back to it's ATH. 

This of course depends on your risk/reward outlook, I'm not someone that puts in a lot so take everything I say with a massive grain of salt. 

The alts that I've got some amounts in right now are Chainlink, Tezos, VET and ZIL. 

I've previously made +£500 profit in BNB and MTC but equally have also spunked the same amount away in $DRGN... 😂

Edited by Stormzy

On 13/01/2021 at 22:15, Stormzy said:

My biggest regret is not deleting the Blockfolio app when I sold all my crypto, I don't know how to post pictures here but I recently checked the app and after putting in £1000 2 years ago and subsequently selling it I would have about £6000 in my account if I hadn't have sold. 

It's not quite spending 5 $btc on a pizza but..

£7k now smh. I've got minus £245 in my bank account right now 😂

2 hours ago, Tartan Dave said:

Doubled my money on dogecoin today. Had a few of them stocks that the reddit folk were launching into. Wish I’d took the cash when they were up high as they’ve dived now. Some real dodgyness from robinhood etc 

On 26/01/2021 at 14:43, Tartan Dave said:

Hey man, If you want safe returns Aave, SNX and Sushi are all strong buys. Obviously Chainlink is my favourite and I'm still holding after all this time. 

A long shot that I am holding just now is MFT Mainframe which I will expect a x4 return from. Some insider info is that they will announce that they are integrating chainlink and the token will get a boost on announcement day. (whenever that is)

You can use my referral if you want to get any of these on Binance. https://www.binance.com/en/register?ref=20267189

I reached a "big" portfolio milestone the other day so I am well chuffed. It's been a hard few years.

Edited by iron mike python

20 minutes ago, iron mike python said:

Hey man, If you want safe returns Aave, SNX and Sushi are all strong buys. Obviously Chainlink is my favourite and I'm still holding after all this time. 

A long shot that I am holding just now is MFT Mainframe which I will expect a x4 return from. Some insider info is that they will announce that they are integrating chainlink and the token will get a boost on announcement day. (whenever that is)

You can use my referral if you want to get any of these on Binance. https://www.binance.com/en/register?ref=20267189

I reached a "big" portfolio milestone the other day so I am well chuffed. It's been a hard few years.

Thanks, I will have a look at them! Annoyingly I made a binance account earlier this evening so missed the sign up offer.  And congratulations on your milestone ! 

2 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Bought some Ethereum on the dip a few days ago that's crypto just under 10% of my portfolio for me that's enough.
The market is crazy just now robin hood sealing from the poor and giving to the rich.

Yeah 10% was the amount of my savings that I put into it and it paid off. 

It is a really predictable market thanks to Bitcoin's influence (every 3-4 years you will get a spike after Bitcoin's halving)

But with DEFI on Ethereum thriving you will start to see Defi related tokens have their own cycles

On 28/01/2021 at 22:36, iron mike python said:

Congrats on the gains. Is it not stressful continuing to hold at this value when it could swing so wildly at any time? I've always thought I'd likely sell if I made a life-changing amount of money since the future of crypto is still uncertain from a regulatory standpoint. By this I mainly mean the bitcoin price which tends to float all boats. If crazy numbers happen like the maximalists predict then I can only see the powers-that-be regulating it to death or even banning it if it becomes a threat to traditional markets.

Most of my money in crypto is in Safex, which is little-known but has ridiculous potential. It's an e-commerce protocol embedded in a privacy blockchain (a fork of Monero) that distributes selling fees to those who stake the tokens. The thing that attracted me to it is you can actually value the coins from real-world activity, unlike 99% of projects which seem to be valued on hype & FOMO. For example, if the marketplace shifts $xxx million in trading volume you can work out how much in $ each staked token will return, and therefore how much people will be willing to pay for it as an investment vehicle.  It also wouldn't matter if BTC crashed to $20 as the economics of the project are based on fiat currency volumes. I get the feeling that nearly every other project is heavily reliant on a strong BTC price for their own valuations.

4 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

Congrats on the gains. Is it not stressful continuing to hold at this value when it could swing so wildly at any time? I've always thought I'd likely sell if I made a life-changing amount of money since the future of crypto is still uncertain from a regulatory standpoint. By this I mainly mean the bitcoin price which tends to float all boats. If crazy numbers happen like the maximalists predict then I can only see the powers-that-be regulating it to death or even banning it if it becomes a threat to traditional markets.

Most of my money in crypto is in Safex, which is little-known but has ridiculous potential. It's an e-commerce protocol embedded in a privacy blockchain (a fork of Monero) that distributes selling fees to those who stake the tokens. The thing that attracted me to it is you can actually value the coins from real-world activity, unlike 99% of projects which seem to be valued on hype & FOMO. For example, if the marketplace shifts $xxx million in trading volume you can work out how much in $ each staked token will return, and therefore how much people will be willing to pay for it as an investment vehicle.  It also wouldn't matter if BTC crashed to $20 as the economics of the project are based on fiat currency volumes. I get the feeling that nearly every other project is heavily reliant on a strong BTC price for their own valuations.

Hello, yes it is a bit stressful but selling wouldn't put an end to that stress, I am gradually de-risking but the world is too crazy just now for this to be the top for Bitcoin. I have turned 3% of my stack into Stable Coins and I have these staked in a Smart Contract on curve.io earning me 60% APY.  Just to make it clear though, I've fully took the red pill and believe in this crazy industry, it isn't about the money, this is about having a more transparent and trustless system. This has got to appeal to governments.

Bitcoin floating all boats is what has happened in, up until the past year.  (And actually before that in my specific case of 2018-2020 Chainlink which tends to do the opposite of Bitcoin quite often)

Now the world is catching on to the fact that there is a current alternative and open source financial system (built mostly on Ethereum) which offers great APY on staking compared to normal bank accounts e.g. Curve , permission-less loans on https://aave.com/ , Decentralised Exchanges that can't be stopped by anyone: uniswap.io and Art Pieces which are provably created by a certain Artist at rarible.com giving payment directly to the creator. 

Bitcoin will crash after peaking this year, the rest of the market will crash but I really think that Defi related token values won't see the usual 80% retraces from all time highs.

I will look into Safex. I do wonder how the Fiat Values are given to the tokenised assets, there must be some sort of oracle used.

12 hours ago, iron mike python said:

I will look into Safex. I do wonder how the Fiat Values are given to the tokenised assets, there must be some sort of oracle used.

For the first version which is due out in the coming weeks, vendors can set their own exchange rate or use a default price peg provided by the Foundation. Later versions will be linked to automated price feeds from exchanges. So if the Safex Cash (SFX) price goes down, it takes more SFX to purchase an item worth $x and therefore more SFX is distributed (5% of all market volume is diverted to a revenue share pool and distributed to token holders every 1000 blocks). So you can think of your investment and returns in $ or £ terms rather than in token terms with all the volatility that comes with that.

If you fancy a quick look these infographics explain the basics pretty neatly.

https://forum.safex.org/t/safex-community-infographics/7469

Like you I see real benefits and uses for this new wave of blockchain technology, especially with privacy features, and particularly after blatant examples of censorship, denials of service etc on social platforms and in financial markets. I do like the idea of these decentralised markets but as a 'hard money' guy I instinctively have concerns when I see something appear from thin air with a valuation in the billions. I may dip a toe in after doing a bit more research.

On 28/01/2021 at 23:36, iron mike python said:

I've got decent holdings in $AAVE and $SUSHI too. Pretty well invested in $FTT now as well, the token of the FTX exchange which I reckon will be a top 3 exchange by the end of the year and eventually pass Binance as no.1. A step ahead of the rest in terms of new offerings and ideas and ran by very sharp traders. They just bought blockfolio there in an attempt to attract more mainstream customers as they are still mainly used by professional traders.

Wish $BTC would just f**k off to new ATHs again tbh.

Edited by Fraser Fyvie

Imagined the above in the voice of Barry Homeowner

Wow. What a tip mainframe has been! Over doubled my investment so far. Thank you! Wanted to ask, what is your plan for it from here? Little bit unsure whether I should sell or if it’s likely to rise further. 

I’ve had incredible returns off cardano too, I really like that project. 

Edited by Tartan Dave

7 hours ago, Tartan Dave said:

Wow. What a tip mainframe has been! Over doubled my investment so far. Thank you! Wanted to ask, what is your plan for it from here? Little bit unsure whether I should sell or if it’s likely to rise further. 

I’ve had incredible returns off cardano too, I really like that project. 

Yeah I would play it safe and sell. I'm sorry if I'm wrong and it goes higher but it doesn't have a product yet. A lot of the assets just above it have working products.  It has reached the x4 I talked about previously so I may exit for the short term.

Maybe rotate it into ETH or BTC?

This market is starting to get crazy I can feel it.

2 hours ago, Fraser Fyvie said:

Rotated some $AAVE and $SUSHI profit into $SRM and $ALPHA.

I'm think of getting ALPHA at the weekend when gas prices go lower. Its doing more volume than AAVE and its only 3 months old!

Even if it reached half of AAVE's market cap it would still be a x6