Bitcoin/cryptocurrency thread

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:52, sjc said:

What are these crypto currencies values based on? Have recently been looking at switching some of my savings into a more tangible assets in light of rumours of the US $ value collapsing.

For the most part, pure speculation. In the boom last year people were just buying because they thought/hoped the price would keep going up, and most probably had little idea about the actual coin or project they were investing in.

Very few of the available cryptocurrencies have any sort of unique use case which should make them desirable to hold. Probably 90% of the 2000-odd coins & tokens out there sell themselves as something vague like 'secure digital payments', ie something bitcoin already does, or they do something which can be done just as easily without blockchain technology. 

There are a few ways to make some money out of them, such as by mining the coins themselves if you're handy with a PC and have cheap electricity costs. The electrical cost of mining a coin can be thought of as the base value of it, like gold mining in the real world. Apparently bitcoin is currently worth around its mining cost after the latest drop, so many big miners are no longer profitable.

21 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

There are a few ways to make some money out of them, such as by mining the coins themselves if you're handy with a PC and have cheap electricity costs. The electrical cost of mining a coin can be thought of as the base value of it, like gold mining in the real world. Apparently bitcoin is currently worth around its mining cost after the latest drop, so many big miners are no longer profitable.

That's the daftest thing about them for me, if you have any concern about human caused global warming. Basing its value on having to burn shit loads of carbon to crack the algorithm.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

That's the daftest thing about them for me, if you have any concern about human caused global warming. Basing its value on having to burn shit loads of carbon to crack the algorithm.

It doesn't really sit easy with me either tbh. There is talk of large solar-powered mining projects but the obvious flaw in that is that warm, sunny locations will require a lot of cooling. Bitcoiners see it as a price worth paying for a decentralised payment system.

Mining for gold is also environmentally destructive but it's this process which gives it some intrinsic value, as opposed to creating fiat currency at the push of a button. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2018 at 00:23, Zetterlund said:

How are the folks from earlier in the thread doing, anyone still in the crypto game? It's been a bloodbath since the nosebleed territory at the end of 2017, but those who got in early enough may still be well up.

I cashed out pretty much all my profits on 7 January when it became apparent that every shitcoin under the sun had already been pumped. 

Sitting on about 40 % of what I left in. It's a mess just now. I recently moved all my remaining funds into one token. An all or nothing approach, but I'm in risk free. 

8 hours ago, S7C said:

I cashed out pretty much all my profits on 7 January when it became apparent that every shitcoin under the sun had already been pumped. 

Sitting on about 40 % of what I left in. It's a mess just now. I recently moved all my remaining funds into one token. An all or nothing approach, but I'm in risk free. 

I bought half a bitcoin last summer with the intention of just printing out a paper wallet and forgetting about it  for years. I ended up getting really interested in it though, and branched out with small amounts in other coins, most of which I held through the big pump & dump.

Like yourself I'm nearly all in one project now. I don't see the point in holding many of the big coins, other than just hoping they will pump again in the next bull run.

On 11/24/2018 at 01:23, Zetterlund said:

How are the folks from earlier in the thread doing, anyone still in the crypto game? It's been a bloodbath since the nosebleed territory at the end of 2017, but those who got in early enough may still be well up.

Left everything as it was, between Bitcoin, Iota and Stellar. When I put my money in it was based on  leaving it there for a minimum of 2/3 years and seeing which of them became useful in the real world, and hopefully picked up value as a result. If I cashed out now I'd be looking at about 3 times my money back. Had I cashed out at the top, I'd have been looking at about 12x. Not that it would have been a particularly huge amount of money, looking at about £6k odds at most at that point.

• 1 month later...
On 6/6/2018 at 13:24, Tartan Dave said:

Finally got round to doing this, thanks for showing me! A quick look online and I've no idea where Bitcoin is eaded, you have any thoughts? Seem to know your stuff

Hey Dave sorry it has taken me this long to reply because I am not on this forum very often any more. If you did cash out your bitcoin when you said you would have made the correct decision because that coins price has went down further since our conversation.

Contrary to everyone else in the cryptosphere I am doing pretty well with my all in Chainlink (up 35%) tactic which I mentioned  in the summer. (I am really knowledgeable about that specific token I invested in it even when it was rank 120, now it is rank 38 with plenty of space to grow)

I am not too interested in the "currency" aspect of crypto, for me it is all about the concept of 'smart contracts' being the future. A concept which Chainlink should make happen.

If anyone wants to ask me more questions about Chainlink or Smart Contracts feel free. Even if you don't want to 'invest' it is a very hot topic which nobody outside the tech world really knows about.  For a taster, here is our own governments programme for learning about blockchain applications. Ctrl-F "smart contracts" and you will see they held a meeting on the subject on Nov 20 last year.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Only occurred to me to come back to the thread as i've been wrestling my broken old laptop to get the 0.8btc off it (skint). Couldnae get electrum to run so i opted for the full blockchain. My gawd has that taken a long time to sync. Only up to about 96% and it's been a real chore.
I used a bittrex account to sell off a few bits and pieces and i suppose already made a decent profit off the initial 60 or 80 quid i spent (400 or so).
Btc is creeping up again, $5k now, so unsure whether to sell it all or keep 0.1 or so and see where it goes. I wouldn't be shocked to see it hit 50k or 50p tbh. What was the high, 18k or something?

5 hours ago, L. Brilliant said:

Only occurred to me to come back to the thread as i've been wrestling my broken old laptop to get the 0.8btc off it (skint). Couldnae get electrum to run so i opted for the full blockchain. My gawd has that taken a long time to sync. Only up to about 96% and it's been a real chore.
I used a bittrex account to sell off a few bits and pieces and i suppose already made a decent profit off the initial 60 or 80 quid i spent (400 or so).
Btc is creeping up again, $5k now, so unsure whether to sell it all or keep 0.1 or so and see where it goes. I wouldn't be shocked to see it hit 50k or 50p tbh. What was the high, 18k or something?

High was just over $18k I think, aye.

Interesting to see that it didn't lose full value and is now creeping up again. I still can't make up my mind on it all. Given the figures involved for me I still plan on leaving it all another year or two at least and then seeing whats what.

I think most of the smaller coins/projects will disappear but bitcoin and some others will stick around as their own asset class into the future. There seems to be a lot of discussion about regulation etc in the background which would allow the established exchanges, hedge funds etc to trade in cryptocurrencies which so far are an untapped resource for financial institutions. 

0.8 BTC is a nice find though! I sent my sister in the US a small amount in a paper wallet for Christmas, bought it when BTC was $3250 and it's now nearly $5200 so she did well not to spend it immediately. I can see it going back down before it goes up again though, who knows.

1 hour ago, muirkirk nil said:

Any update on  Initiativeq  from last year?

Still data mining and no sign of coinage. Healthy profit though, for those in charge, I'd imagine. They're valuing their "thing" which doesn't exist at $16,992 at the moment, if that's any help.

Edited by welshbairn