Bitcoin/cryptocurrency thread

2 hours ago, iron mike python said:

Yeah I would play it safe and sell. I'm sorry if I'm wrong and it goes higher but it doesn't have a product yet. A lot of the assets just above it have working products.  It has reached the x4 I talked about previously so I may exit for the short term.

Maybe rotate it into ETH or BTC?

This market is starting to get crazy I can feel it.

Cheers. I’ve got mainframe cardano and bitcoin right now but not massive amounts in any. About a grand all in. I agree. Think with paypal making noises about accepting bitcoin as payment, it could go mainstream relatively quick

37 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

What's everyone's biggest failures in crypto. 

I chased the $DRGN...

I lost about $600 worth of coins when the Cryptopia exchange got hacked a couple of years ago. It's the only time I've left coins on an exchange for any length of time, but I was lazy and got punished.

I also bought XRP years ago at $0.22, held all the way up to $3.50, then watched it come all the way down again before selling at about $0.50. A lot of crypto lessons were learned the hard way in 2017-18 :lol:

An interesting project I've been reading up on lately is Haven Protocol (XHV).  They're Monero-based and created the first private stablecoin in xUSD. They describe themselves as a private offshore bank and will soon be adding xEUR, xCNY and other currencies, so people can cash out their crypto gains in stable currencies that are private and don't rely on third party backing such as USDT.

Interestingly they will also add other assets like xGOLD, xSILVER etc and there's even talk of including stocks. So if you make money elsewhere in crypto (or simply buy their XHV gateway coin) you will have a selection of real-world assets to invest in privately, or you can just 'offshore' your money in one of the currencies for safe keeping.

It tempted me enough to put some money in last week as there are some news catalysts coming up soon like adding more assets and DEX integration. It's the first new project I've put money into for about 2 years as I don't often find an idea I like so much.

23 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

An interesting project I've been reading up on lately is Haven Protocol (XHV).  They're Monero-based and created the first private stablecoin in xUSD. They describe themselves as a private offshore bank and will soon be adding xEUR, xCNY and other currencies, so people can cash out their crypto gains in stable currencies that are private and don't rely on third party backing such as USDT.

Interestingly they will also add other assets like xGOLD, xSILVER etc and there's even talk of including stocks. So if you make money elsewhere in crypto (or simply buy their XHV gateway coin) you will have a selection of real-world assets to invest in privately, or you can just 'offshore' your money in one of the currencies for safe keeping.

It tempted me enough to put some money in last week as there are some news catalysts coming up soon like adding more assets and DEX integration. It's the first new project I've put money into for about 2 years as I don't often find an idea I like so much.

https://data.chain.link/

As you can see those Haven Gold and Silver feeds will be served by Chainlink (my biggest investment)

It is a very good sign for a project to use Chainlink for their feeds and oracles.

Edited by iron mike python

Been reading/watching/googling most of the day (as well as over the last few weeks) trying to get my head around how to get involved in trading.

Thanks to iron Mike for some detail on the investments thread (that video from a few days ago was very interesting, not just for the bitcoin but also as I work in a similar industry!).

Looking for a few pointers from you well learned crypto folks. [emoji846]

So, to get started I need:

- An exchange (I've been looking at Binance a bit. Is that the best one to go with? Reasonable fees?)

- A Wallet to download purchases to (where to start? What's a good wallet/wallets to look into? Is this single device deal where I'm then required not to lose the device holding the wallet, so better not on a phone for example.

- Once I have the exchange and the wallet sorted, transfer some funds from my bank to my exchange account, same as I would fit regular trading. Any gotchas in this? I've seen a few things online about banks locking accounts for trying to transfer into coinbase for example.

- Once funds into my exchange account, make purchases on there.

- Move any purchases to my wallet

- Monitor

- When selling, transfer back from wallet to exchange account (or is the wallet linked to the account so they know what I have?) and sell from there.

That about right? [emoji846]

2 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

I lost about $600 worth of coins when the Cryptopia exchange got hacked a couple of years ago. It's the only time I've left coins on an exchange for any length of time, but I was lazy and got punished.

I also bought XRP years ago at $0.22, held all the way up to $3.50, then watched it come all the way down again before selling at about $0.50. A lot of crypto lessons were learned the hard way in 2017-18 :lol:

Yeah I remember reading about that a wee while after. Mental. Aye I joined the crypto community so to speak late 2017 and have learned a lot and also withdrew too much crypto over the sideways phase 😂

48 minutes ago, gaz5 said:

Been reading/watching/googling most of the day (as well as over the last few weeks) trying to get my head around how to get involved in trading.

Thanks to iron Mike for some detail on the investments thread (that video from a few days ago was very interesting, not just for the bitcoin but also as I work in a similar industry!).

Looking for a few pointers from you well learned crypto folks. emoji846.png

- An exchange (I've been looking at Binance a bit. Is that the best one to go with? Reasonable fees?)

- A Wallet to download purchases to (where to start? What's a good wallet/wallets to look into? Is this single device deal where I'm then required not to lose the device holding the wallet, so better not on a phone for example.

- Once I have the exchange and the wallet sorted, transfer some funds from my bank to my exchange account, same as I would fit regular trading. Any gotchas in this? I've seen a few things online about banks locking accounts for trying to transfer into coinbase for example.

- Monitor

- When selling, transfer back from wallet to exchange account (or is the wallet linked to the account so they know what I have?) and sell from there.

That about right? emoji846.png

Sounds right to me.

I use Coinbase for putting in money, i use Binance and Kucoin for trading alts and I own a Nano Ledger X. I've never set this up tbh which is foolish but the exhancges I've used have been reliable thus far but as the guy I quoted before could attest to they're not always safe!! 😂

When I first got Binance they didnt support depositing cash only crypto but if they support that now i would personally trust it. Unsure how bad the fees are but Coinbase is pretty shitty for fees. 

All of this is said as an amateur, casual with less than £1.5K involved, some of the other posters may be in a better position to explain more. 

1 hour ago, gaz5 said:

Looking for a few pointers from you well learned crypto folks. emoji846.png

- Monitor

That about right? emoji846.png

Yes that sounds good but I think you will be fine keeping the money on Binance for the short term. 

Once you are a bit more sure about things you can move to a wallet/ hardware wallet.

My mates put GBP into Binance last week and it went fine. Binance also has a larger range of Coins

. Coinbase have a backlog of people signing up whereas Binance were swift. Use my referral from the other thread if you want 5% of your fees returned.

Just now, Iminavest said:

Totally new to any crypto stuff but a pal has mentioned a couple of things so might have a wee dabble.

How much are folk genrally putting in to different ones?

(Obv nothing more than you are comfortable losing etc)

Hey man, firstly you must understand that we are in a bull market just now. In my opinion this means that we will go up sharply and it will get into a mania before dropping just as wildly. So be aware that the volatility will be crazy.

I think it is worth putting in some money just now so that you can experience time in the market, then in the bear market next year put in even more money to guarantee a profit for the following bull market. That is how I did it. I put in 10% of my net worth in the bear market (some would say that this is a reckless amount) but I now have returns of around 8000% so it paid off.

. Binance is a good place to start and sign up is easy. Use my referral link to get 5% of your fees back. https://www.binance.com/en/register?ref=A7BP3TW6

Feel free to ask me any questions, I love talking about this stuff.

Signed up for binance using your referral link iron Mike, thanks for that.

Listened to the podcast you stick in the investment thread as well re: top 20 on coinbase. Interesting listening!

Just need to decide what to buy now!

Thinking I'll do regular investing (speculating [emoji846] , small amount) every month, half into bitcoin and half into something else (could be a different something else from month to month depending on what's going on).

Any tips? [emoji846]

I've been watching DOGE and Chain link for a few days, they look interesting. I've found some decent info on chainlink, but not a huge amount on DOGE or why it's made 40% in 24 hours (other than maybe lots of new people like me starting to buy and it's cheap!)

14 minutes ago, gaz5 said:

Signed up for binance using your referral link iron Mike, thanks for that.

Listened to the podcast you stick in the investment thread as well re: top 20 on coinbase. Interesting listening!

Just need to decide what to buy now!

Thinking I'll do regular investing (small amount) every month, half into bitcoin and half into something else (could be a different something else from month to month depending on what's going on).

Any tips? emoji846.png

I've been watching DOGE and Chain link for a few days, they look interesting. I've found some decent info on chainlink, but not a huge amount on DOGE or why it's made 40% in 24 hours (other than maybe lots of new people like me starting to buy and it's cheap!)

Haha I appreciate you using my link, Doge is so dangerous to get involved in just now. Firstly, Elon Musk is pumping it by tweeting about it for a laugh because it is a meme. Secondly there is a movement to try and push the price to $1. These  have created a massive pump..... but you know what happens after the pump? the dump.... You may get in for some major profits but you could easily get caught on the wrong side of the dump. Please be aware, it is a meme.

In terms of what to invest in. I think Chainlink looks pretty solid just now. It has recovered well from the Bitcoin dip during earlier today. 

Chainlink, Bitcoin, Sushi, Ethereum should be performing well. Synthetix (SNX) will soon offer sTSLA (a synthetic decentralised version of a Tesla stock) which will help its price.

Definitely get some Bitcoin and Ethereum.

image.thumb.png.b344a57343f55cc64552645b5a72c8f2.png

Edited by iron mike python

Haha I appreciate you using my link, Doge is so dangerous to get involved in just now. Firstly, Elon Musk is pumping it by tweeting about it for a laugh because it is a meme. Secondly there is a movement to try and push the price to $1. These  have created a massive pump..... but you know what happens after the pump? the dump.... You may get in for some major profits but you could easily get caught on the wrong side of the dump. Please be aware, it is a meme.
In terms of what to invest in. I think Chainlink looks pretty solid just now. It has recovered well from the Bitcoin dip during earlier today. 
Chainlink, Bitcoin, Sushi, Ethereum should be performing well. Synthetix (SNX) will soon offer sTSLA (a synthetic decentralised version of a Tesla stock) which will help its price.
Definitely get some Bitcoin and Ethereum.
image.thumb.png.b344a57343f55cc64552645b5a72c8f2.png
Cheers Mike, much appreciated. I'll stay away from DOGE I think in that case!

I'm trying to buy BTC right now, if I can figure out Binances buy process! It's not the most intuitive! [emoji1787]

Doge is going on a healthy walk today like.

I deffo wouldn't get in now tbh, I've had a bit for a while and will likely sell soon, it's so funny to me because when I first got into dogecoin i would use faucets to acquire it for free and generally collected it as a test runs it was worth f**k all and was blatantly a meme whilst i learned the basics, have no idea what websites or passwords i even used so probably have decent amounts lost in the ether. 

Edited by Stormzy

1 hour ago, gaz5 said:

Cheers Mike, much appreciated. I'll stay away from DOGE I think in that case!

I'm trying to buy BTC right now, if I can figure out Binances buy process! It's not the most intuitive! emoji1787.png

https://www.binance.com/en/trade/BTC_GBP

1. You can either pay the "Market Price" which you will pay a tiny bit more for but it means it is quick, easy and secure to get your BTC.

2. Or you can choose Spot Price: You think that BTC will go down to a certain value. It will then create and order and buy it for you in the future when it reaches that value.

image.thumb.png.8276a1dbc3880d935806f0a3407a8d56.png

https://www.binance.com/en/trade/BTC_GBP
1. You can either pay the "Market Price" which you will pay a tiny bit more for but it means it is quick, easy and secure to get your BTC.
2. Or you can choose Spot Price: You think that BTC will go down to a certain value. It will then create and order and buy it for you in the future when it reaches that value.
image.thumb.png.8276a1dbc3880d935806f0a3407a8d56.png
Cheers Mike.

I figured it out eventually. Went for the spot price option. Got £50 BTC and £45 Ethereum. Nothing mad, but a start to figure it all out. [emoji846]

Just found this topic.

I have chucked some cash into crypto.

So far i have

Xrp
Cardano
Etherium (just bought a whole coin in the hope this will go up)
Polkadot
Swissborg

I use the swissborg app for the swissborg then crypto.com for the rest. Is that suitable?

The volatility is wild sometimes. Makes you question whether people are just using it as a get rich quick scheme. Cardano was up 28% about 4 hours ago and is now only up 2%. Wondering whether people are just taking their profit as it goes up which forces the price back down