Bitcoin/cryptocurrency thread

These past few months have been very exciting for me.

I've mainly invested in Ethereum (ETH), Tron (TRX) and Ripple (XRP) and all seem to be steadily growing especially Tron and Ripple. I'm not sure if I'm falling for a lot of lies although XRP have been signing a lot of major banks on the platform and I feel that the rocket could take off soon.

At the moment I own 2625 TRX and 1125 XRP with a combined value of  $135.96 although I've calculated that if either of them get to the heights of ETH right now (approx $269.17) I'll be buying that lambo.

Are there any other up and coming coins that I should be monitoring?

5 hours ago, boulderdomb said:

I've mainly invested in Ethereum (ETH), Tron (TRX) and Ripple (XRP) and all seem to be steadily growing especially Tron and Ripple. I'm not sure if I'm falling for a lot of lies although XRP have been signing a lot of major banks on the platform and I feel that the rocket could take off soon.

At the moment I own 2625 TRX and 1125 XRP with a combined value of  $135.96 although I've calculated that if either of them get to the heights of ETH right now (approx $269.17) I'll be buying that lambo.

When it comes to potential future price, the thing with coins like XRP and TRX is the max supply of around 100 billion makes it unlikely they will individually be worth $xxx, unlike BTC with its supply of just 21 million. There are actually XRP fans on Twitter who think it will go to $10k, which would give the whole project a market cap of a quadrillion dollars :lol:

More realistically I look at individual coins' high point during the 2017-18 boom. Looking at that it's not too unlikely we'll see the likes of XRP go x10 again at least, considering the projects are further on now while 2017 was a bit of a mania based on FOMO.

I like the look of PundiX (NPXS), which is a fraction of a penny at the moment but is making good progress and has around 150 staff in a few locations around the world. Another high-supply token but good potential for growth IMO. Also Safex, which is under the radar at the moment and has faced delays but has the potential to be absolutely huge. Worth doing a bit of research on that one.

18 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Does the ridiculous amount of electricity used to create and process these things not give folk pause for thought? Not pretending to know how it all works.

I'm sure most of the stories about how much power bitcoin consumes are hugely exaggerated, but it is a significant amount, which is also what makes the network so secure in that any malicious entity would also need a huge amount of power to disrupt it (over 50% of the total).

There also seems to be a drive toward solar bitcoin farms or other renewable sources, and the actual mining hardware is always improving in terms of hashing power vs power consumption.

Many  other cryptocurrencies are not created by mining so the networks are not power intensive. Those coins/tokens are created from thin air at the start and distributed/sold. These are the ones I find it harder to see any intrinsic value in.

No doubt it is exaggerated, but the idea of creating an abstract currency to free us from the "system" that depends on pumping massive amounts of carbon into the atmosphere just seems insane to me. 

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jan/17/bitcoin-electricity-usage-huge-climate-cryptocurrency

Edited by welshbairn

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

No doubt it is exaggerated, but the idea of creating an abstract currency to free us from the "system" that depends on pumping massive amounts of carbon into the atmosphere just seems insane to me. 

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jan/17/bitcoin-electricity-usage-huge-climate-cryptocurrency

I wonder if the creators ever foresaw it at these levels. That article doesn't touch on the security element of it which is the whole point, but plenty of people think it's worth it for the technology. 

On 1/9/2019 at 15:56, iron mike python said:

Contrary to everyone else in the cryptosphere I am doing pretty well with my all in Chainlink (up 35%) tactic which I mentioned  in the summer. (I am really knowledgeable about that specific token I invested in it even when it was rank 120, now it is rank 38 with plenty of space to grow)

I am not too interested in the "currency" aspect of crypto, for me it is all about the concept of 'smart contracts' being the future. A concept which Chainlink should make happen.

If anyone wants to ask me more questions about Chainlink or Smart Contracts feel free. Even if you don't want to 'invest' it is a very hot topic which nobody outside the tech world really knows about.  For a taster, here is our own governments programme for learning about blockchain applications. Ctrl-F "smart contracts" and you will see they held a meeting on the subject on Nov 20 last year.

Did anyone follow up on my post suggesting Chainlink?  It has been the best performing cryptocurrency over the past year. See the attached image that my friend made. I am currently up 300%

Mainnet comes out tomorrow, so there could be a dump but this dump wont be for long as real network usage is revealed. As always ask me any questions about chainlink because i love talking about it.

If you want to buy Chainlink use Binance with my referral link https://www.binance.com/?ref=20267189

jays.png

https://coinbase.com/earn/xlm/invite/27rd6y3g

Also if you use my link above, watch 10 seconds of every video then take the quiz, you get $10 worth of XLM on Coinbase. I'll post the answers below so you don't use up too much time. 

Answers:

Stellar is a decentralized coin that unites currencies

Stellar lumens -> Falilitating low cost universal payments

Why use for Reminances -> Fast, Secure, and Global

Why would banks and businesses use stellar -> To issue and exchange tokens quickly

Stellar Consensus -> It relies on the agreement of trusted nodes

18 minutes ago, iron mike python said:

Did anyone follow up on my post suggesting Chainlink?  It has been the best performing cryptocurrency over the past year. See the attached image that my friend made. I am currently up 300%

Mainnet comes out tomorrow, so there could be a dump but this dump wont be for long as real network usage is revealed. As always ask me any questions about chainlink because i love talking about it.

If you want to buy Chainlink use Binance with my referral link https://www.binance.com/?ref=20267189

I don't have any myself but there does seem to be a bit of chatter about Chainlink lately. It takes some time to become fully clued up on any project and I've not had a chance to look into new ones too much. I'm pretty much all in on Safex and have been mining it at home after learning how to build a rig. That was a good experience anyway whatever happens with the price in future, but I have high hopes for it with lots of development since their mainnet launch last September.

I keep a little NPXS, XRP and MTC on the side too just to keep an eye on out of interest.

Tbh with 2000+ crypto projects on the go there will be a lot of winners and even more losers. Anything with a real use case and visible ongoing development should be a good bet if you pick up early.

On 5/27/2019 at 14:11, boulderdomb said:

On 5/27/2019 at 19:55, Zetterlund said:

When it comes to potential future price, the thing with coins like XRP and TRX is the max supply of around 100 billion makes it unlikely they will individually be worth $xxx, unlike BTC with its supply of just 21 million. There are actually XRP fans on Twitter who think it will go to $10k, which would give the whole project a market cap of a quadrillion dollars :lol:

More realistically I look at individual coins' high point during the 2017-18 boom. Looking at that it's not too unlikely we'll see the likes of XRP go x10 again at least, considering the projects are further on now while 2017 was a bit of a mania based on FOMO.

I like the look of PundiX (NPXS), which is a fraction of a penny at the moment but is making good progress and has around 150 staff in a few locations around the world. Another high-supply token but good potential for growth IMO. Also Safex, which is under the radar at the moment and has faced delays but has the potential to be absolutely huge. Worth doing a bit of research on that one.

I still don't see Ripple taking off in the way many are hoping it will. Getting banks to endorse it is one thing, but getting them to shell out billions in infrastructure costs to transfer from Swift to XRP is quite another. Swift is too embedded in the financial world to be replaced, and that, ultimately, is what Ripple are trying to do.

10 hours ago, Ross. said:

I still don't see Ripple taking off in the way many are hoping it will. Getting banks to endorse it is one thing, but getting them to shell out billions in infrastructure costs to transfer from Swift to XRP is quite another. Swift is too embedded in the financial world to be replaced, and that, ultimately, is what Ripple are trying to do.

I can see the tech being adopted tbh but not the ludicrous price predictions. If banks can securely send money across borders in 2 seconds instead of a few days it will become a case of not wanting to be left behind.

• 2 weeks later...

I moved all of my remaining funds into DAG / Constellation Labs a few weeks ago. I'm playing with profit so if it flops it flops, but I have a really good feeling about this one.

^ Learn to look at the market cap. It's a rookie mistake to look at the value of the individual token and say "If only ___ had the same value as ETH" when it never will, as the market cap would be absurdly high.

Edited by S7C

On 10/06/2019 at 20:49, MixuFixit said:

If on seeing this graph your thought is to invest in the blue ones I have a bridge to sell you

Considering ChainLink just went up 50% in one day since your post can I buy that bridge? I probably can afford a bridge now.

The reason it has went up so much is because Google have tweeted they will integrate ChainLink into google cloud...... and from my research, they are unlikely to be the last major announcement. 

Feel free to ask me more questions about the project (I am very knowledgeable) but you can keep your badly informed opinions in future.

• 2 weeks later...

Synthetix suffers oracle problem hack

The above news article shows the problem which Chainlink is trying to solve. Synthetix have already announced they will eventually use Chainlink in the long run, but they have also tried to persevere with an insecure oracle which (as you can see) has cost them big time.

As usual ask me any questions about Chainlink. As it happens, Oracle is doing a presentation about Chainlink today so there could be an interesting announcement.

As usual, feel free to ask me any questions. I'd love for my football frens to get onboard before the rest of the normies.

If you want to buy Chainlink use Binance with my referral link Binance Referral Link

Edited by iron mike python

• 1 month later...

If anyone is curious about getting into cryptocurrencies but doesn't really know where to start, I stumbled across this project recently which you can use every day while also earning coins in the background.

CyberFM online radio pays you in their own CYFM currency just for listening, and there's a good variety of channels for a decent selection of music. A tiered earnings system means the more coins you hold, the more you get paid per song. All you need is an Ethereum address, put it into the mobile app and watch your  earnings go up. Independent artists who contribute music to the service also get paid this way. 

At the moment the coins are very cheap (you can buy millions for a few quid) but there's a decent chance the value will go up as more people get involved and buy the coins to get into the higher earnings tiers. 

12 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I've seen something on a website I'd like to try but they only accept payment in bitcoin. Is there an easy way I can buy some? I only need around $14 worth

It can be a bit of pain as a new user. I've mainly used localbitcoins.com but without trade history most sellers require an ID check.

Signing up to Coinbase may be your best bet - in fact I think they still have a promotion on where you can earn free coins by watching some short videos. I got about £40 worth doing this a couple of weeks ago.

19 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

It can be a bit of pain as a new user. I've mainly used localbitcoins.com but without trade history most sellers require an ID check.

Signing up to Coinbase may be your best bet - in fact I think they still have a promotion on where you can earn free coins by watching some short videos. I got about £40 worth doing this a couple of weeks ago.

Cheers, I'll take a look at coinbase

18 hours ago, welshbairn said:

animated-sheep.gif

:lol:

Nothing that exciting, Im afraid. Just an IPTV provider