Bitcoin/cryptocurrency thread

It was due a huge correction after the way it took off from the middle of last year.  Back above 11k now but I fully expect it to take another drop before it creeps up again.

Anyone invested in crypto who isn't prepared to lose the lot is incredibly stupid. That said, the stuff I have invested in hasn't taken quite the hit that others have. Anything in this arena which fears regulation of some kind is not worth the hassle of investing in. Chopping huge swathes of shite out the market is a good thing and that is what seems likely to happen.

Bit surprised there's not more headlines about somebody who hacked into a coin exchange and nicked half a billion dollars worth from customers' wallets. Biggest heist in history?

Edited by welshbairn

8 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I don't really understand it. Can somebody give me a fool-proof method to become mega rich out of this, please?

I'll give you some of my cocaine and strippers when I cash in my winnings.

Step 1: Get Bank Details
Step 2: Buy Bitcoin
Step 3: ??????
Step 4: Profit

7 hours ago, Dunlop Don said:

It's back on the rise today, thank goodness.  I'm not sure i'll be able to avoid the temptation to sell if it can get back to where it was 2 weeks ago.  It's clearly a non-sensical bubble but that doesn't mean there aren't more opportunities to come.

I bailed on it at £5,200 fir a £750 gain.

Galling to think where it was 6 weeks ago but when it's being more or less strangled left right and centre by those who fear it, that's the get out for me.

18 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I bailed on it at £5,200 fir a £750 gain.

Galling to think where it was 6 weeks ago but when it's being more or less strangled left right and centre by those who fear it, that's the get out for me.

Was a ballsy move to put in as much as you did. 20% return in that timescale is tremendous when viewed objectively.

2 hours ago, Ross. said:

Was a ballsy move to put in as much as you did. 20% return in that timescale is tremendous when viewed objectively.

Was just over a 50% gain, mate.

Spent £1,400 @ £3.2k

Cashed out for £2,150@ £5.2k

Agreed though, happy return really.

17 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Was just over a 50% gain, mate.

Spent £1,400 @ £3.2k

Cashed out for £2,150@ £5.2k

Agreed though, happy return really.

Mis-read it, thought the 750 gain was on taking out 5.2k. Whatever the case it's a solid return. I still have my 1/8th of a bitcoin. Realised around Christmas that I will need to hope it hits 100k + a coin before it's worth me selling, in terms of it making any meaningful difference to my life. Will be an interesting year or two now, particularly with the traditional investment markets starting to get a bit rocky again.

Panorama covered it last night. The pure madness is the colossal amount of electrical energy used to create and govern exchanges of the things, when man made global warming is supposed to be a thing. Thought it was supposed to be a hippy anarchist thing to save the planet from the man. Mine cryptocurrencies with abacuses.

On 13/02/2018 at 21:15, welshbairn said:

Panorama covered it last night. The pure madness is the colossal amount of electrical energy used to create and govern exchanges of the things, when man made global warming is supposed to be a thing. Thought it was supposed to be a hippy anarchist thing to save the planet from the man. Mine cryptocurrencies with abacuses.

Big problem is the whole proof of work idea that underpins Bitcoin. I'm not sure on the whole cryptocurrency thing, but if it does take off I'd imagine Bitcoin will be cast to the side as an early adaptor and it'll be one of the less resource intensive competitors that win out. Quite a lot of bullishness regarding the DAG currencies at the moment, although they do still have problems with needing adoption before they can be truly decentralised.

It will be interesting to see where it goes, if likes of Ripple does get adopted in a wider scale for faster payments that will be an incredibly interesting development, I can't see it happening anytime soon however. 

4 hours ago, Netan Sansara said:

Big problem is the whole proof of work idea that underpins Bitcoin. I'm not sure on the whole cryptocurrency thing, but if it does take off I'd imagine Bitcoin will be cast to the side as an early adaptor and it'll be one of the less resource intensive competitors that win out. Quite a lot of bullishness regarding the DAG currencies at the moment, although they do still have problems with needing adoption before they can be truly decentralised.

It will be interesting to see where it goes, if likes of Ripple does get adopted in a wider scale for faster payments that will be an incredibly interesting development, I can't see it happening anytime soon however. 

I like the concept of Ripple but as I have previously mentioned, despite the many financials who are endorsing it, I struggle to see it replacing SWIFT as a means of making payments. The long term savings may potentially be huge but the initial costs of implementing it would definitely be equally as huge and I just don't see the appetite for spending a fortune to replace a system that has underpinned banking for years, is deeply embedded in systems and processes, and for all it is slow and annoying as f**k at times, is incredibly reliable.