Bitcoin/cryptocurrency thread

On 03/08/2022 at 12:07, Zetterlund said:

I don't know why Solana hasn't died yet. Haven't they had to stop the chain 6 or 7 times too as it keeps getting stuck? Crazy that it still has such a high valuation.

On 03/08/2022 at 13:06, iron mike python said:

Its because people don't care about security and trust assumptions. They prefer speed and cheap fees.

The problem is, if Solana is down more and more as it gets used by more people, they will then see under the bonnet. 

In the end they are using a clunky type of database which is centralised due to the computing requirements and is financially subsidised/heavily marketed by FTX.

(What I have wrote about above is my more general view of Solana, and has no relevance to the current exploit. Turning the off switch would still allow the exploiter access to the funds when they turn it on again.)

People like to talk shit about Solana yet the hack was no fault of Solana as a network.

Didn't an Ethereum bridge just have a $190m hack yet nobody's taking about that?

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

Same with Nomad.

What has that got to do with anything?

My comment was advice for any poor soul with their crypto on Solana at the time of the exploit. To help them.

Don't use token bridges at such an early stage would also be advice but that is a separate issue.

11 hours ago, iron mike python said:

What has that got to do with anything?

My comment was advice for any poor soul with their crypto on Solana at the time of the exploit. To help them.

Don't use token bridges at such an early stage would also be advice but that is a separate issue.

Does anyone know what you're talking about in real life?

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Does anyone know what you're talking about in real life?

There were 2 high profile exploits this week affecting different blockchains. I offered advice to people at the time of one exploit of how they could secure their funds if they were worried.

Looking at my post after the event, Snafu has decided it looks like I was attacking the whole Solana ecosystem. (Which he probably owns Ecosystem coins/tokens so feels he has to defend.)

TL;DR Same shit as the rest of this site, people being tribal and 'whataboutery'

1 hour ago, iron mike python said:

There were 2 high profile exploits this week affecting different blockchains. I offered advice to people at the time of one exploit of how they could secure their funds if they were worried.

Looking at my post after the event, Snafu has decided it looks like I was attacking the whole Solana ecosystem. (Which he probably owns Ecosystem coins/tokens so feels he has to defend.)

TL;DR Same shit as the rest of this site, people being tribal and 'whataboutery'

Naw then.

On 19/08/2022 at 02:17, Vikki said:

Wow, guys. I'm so suprised that some of you could earn money on crypto. As for me, I'm still trying LOL . What do you think about crypto loans? I've decided to take out a loan here  cc

First post on a football forum is in the crypto thread.

okay-look.gif

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

29 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Anybody know if Amazon have launched a new crypto-currency platform? 🤔

Their Cloud computing product Amazon Web Services already underlies a lot of the block chain projects

https://aws.amazon.com/blockchain/

Most of the people who actually made money in the Yukon gold rush were the people who sold shovels

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

6 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Their Cloud computing product Amazon Web Services already underlies a lot of the block chain projects

Most of the people who actually made money in the Yukon gold rush were the people who sold shovels

Just was all over my Social media thos morning. 

6 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Just was all over my Social media this morning. 

There was a similar rumour/hoax about this time last year. Amazon were supposedly on the verge of accepting payment in Crypto. That was just as Tesla was going cold on the idea and crypto types needed a new story to believe

Thought it would be a lot more than $100 million, maybe folk are wising up.

NFT swap scams, meanwhile, work by abusing the fact that counterfeiting an NFT is trivial. Simply creating a new digital asset with the same name and image as a high-value NFT means some can be fooled into accepting what looks like a “like-for-like” swap, only to find they’ve been left with nothing.

More than $100m worth of NFTs stolen since July 2021, data shows

Edited by welshbairn

On a side note does anyone have any success/horror stories from folk they know about crypto?

A guy I know made his own coin up and then rugged it for $600k, he started out in crypto with 4k and has ran it up to millions.

On the flip side I know someone who has been in since 2017, he had 35 BTC and 100 ETH at his peak, also had 6,000,000 VeChain. He didn't cash any of it at all and is 3 million in the red since January from trying to trade his way out of it.

On 22/08/2022 at 12:18, topcat(The most tip top) said:

How do you sell shovels to Crypto investors?