Bitcoin/cryptocurrency thread

2 minutes ago, iron mike python said:

I never encouraged anyone to buy an airdrop

The thing about airdrops is they just appear in your wallet if you have used a service. That is why I was telling people.

If those people received the airdrops they were eligible to sell to USD straight away. Which is what I did, and by the looks of the price action everyone else did too. 

Let me say unequivocally airdrops are a terrible idea to buy.... but if you RECEIVED an airdrop then why wouldn't you sell it?

They just appear and you pay the gas fee automatically?

3 hours ago, Lex said:

IMG_8697.thumb.jpg.a504e52a9462020372b40804e7adce84.jpg
How low is it going to go? The price point relies on new marks putting fresh money into it - like any pyramid scheme.
In the recessionary high interest rate environment the world is heading into, there’s not going to be the glut of cash floating around like there has been over the last five years. This is not like a stock market dip, where the value is in actual trading companies. This is just confidence tricksters, smoke and mirrors.

2 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

It appears that there was a state of collective denial along the lines of “surely it’s not going to go below 20K” that propped the price up for a week

There was a previous similar plateau where it hovered around 30k for a month

It’s as if the market has little idea what the actual value is but is convinced it should be a nice round number

Saw a post elsewhere to the effect that this is the first time bitcoin has dropped below a previous all time high = tulip mania is over.

23 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

as an outsider this seems wild

Best to keep it that way. I still chuckle about the guy in Newport who tossed his hard drive and it was worth £200M at one time. With all this drop in value maybe he feels not so bad.

I wonder how many other people have lost access to crypto by forgetting their passwords.

23 hours ago, Detournement said:

They just appear and you pay the gas fee automatically?

Pay the gas when the network isn't busy and you are sorted.

Current transaction cost at time of writing on Ethereum main net = £1 (sorry if this is expensive to you)

On 18/06/2022 at 12:34, Satoshi said:

If you know crypto is going to fail then get shorting.

Still a fortune to be made even now.

How would you short crypto? On What platform is this an option?

Had I known ordinary folk can short is have done this during the pandemic when taxi drivers were talking about investing in it.

2 minutes ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

Had I known ordinary folk can short is have done this during the pandemic when taxi drivers were talking about investing in it.

Bairnardo might know.

22 minutes ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

You can do it any of the trading platforms like Coinbase. 

The issue with it is the markets can be rigged to temporarily jump back up and wipe out short sellers. 

On 18/06/2022 at 12:34, Satoshi said:

If you know crypto is going to fail then get shorting.

Still a fortune to be made even now.

So are we talking about a 50/50 up or down bet, or on the unique technological value it has, with or without a patent, or just a speculative guess on whether people will buy or sell?

Edited by welshbairn

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

So are we talking about a 50/50 up or down bet, or on the unique technological value it has, with or without a patent, or just a speculative guess on whether people will buy or sell?

It was more of a reflection of the certainty of people on this thread on the value of cryptocurrency continue to crash (to zero I guess eventually?)

And if this is your viewpoint then fair enough, you could have made (and could still make) a fortune short selling it. And even short term market manipulation would be overcome in the long term.

It's not a policy I would advocate, quite the opposite, for me the chances of cryptocurrency values rising again are incredibly high (far greater than 95%) so this is a period to wait out and periodically buy. Crypto has had worse crashes that this, and it will probably have worse again in future (with a shorter cycle). Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.