Bitcoin/cryptocurrency thread

Has anybody swapped their house for Bitcoin?
I know of people in the group's I'm in who have taken out equity on their mortgage/secured loans to buy bitcoin because "debt is cheaper than the returns and the opportunity cost of not missing out is silly".

Not for me. Betting the farm is a mentalists game. I genuinely can't believe people do it, could go very, very wrong very very quickly.

5 minutes ago, gaz5 said:

That is very good. emoji1787.png

I can see long term applications for NFT's, but not in anything like the bullshit jpeg game that's going crazy just now.

I read someone say that NFTs could be used to prove ownership of a house. Solving the very common problem of not knowing who owns a home....

I read someone say that NFTs could be used to prove ownership of a house. Solving the very common problem of not knowing who owns a home....

I mean it could be used for that, but it would be in the name of improving a solution rather than solving a specific problem.

There was a case in the news just last week of a minister who was seconded to another party of the country returning to find his house has been sold by a fraudster and new people were living there with the locks changed and his stuff dumped. It's uncommon, for sure, that was the first time I'd read about a case in all honesty.

Things like event ticketing (stopping fake scalping), University degrees (again, stopping fakes), medical records etc. could all have meaningful applications via NFT technology IMO in future.

ETA, Found the story: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/news/uknews/16648500/came-home-find-house-sold-new-owners/amp/

Wasn't the sun I read it in, but same details.

I'm guessing the cypto.com ad is a JPEG rather than real time market prices and as such snapshot from a very good day as it is a marketing tool to drive sales for a commercial company. I agree, a bit like Rangers "55", it should have an asterisk.

Research done by which? showed a huge number of prices (80% from memory) on Black Friday were lower on other days of the year. Inflation not a factor.

HSBC don't advertise "£849 arrangement fee, 1.19% APR ..... we repossessed 24,765 homes last year"

It's why a Mercedes ad doesn't tend to advise the cost of a service and frequency of repairs per 10,000 on average cost of said repairs in theirs.

Most food advertising is done with cold food, staged by a team of professionals, sprayed with glycerine to make it look extra juicy and appetising. Like everything in life, do your own research to build context and remember ..... perception and reality are often far apart.

image.thumb.png.626d1089c48d8faccde0f100c9234ea7.png

Indeed, but there's a difference between not giving the full information and giving information you know to be false. I'm sure they can blame the advertising middle men, but I've seen that same advert for a few days now without any change in the data.

I think blockchain technology can be of huge value for society and it saddens me that most people's exposure to it is misleading adverts and media hit pieces.

3 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Indeed, but there's a difference between not giving the full information and giving information you know to be false. I'm sure they can blame the advertising middle men, but I've seen that same advert for a few days now without any change in the data.

I think blockchain technology can be of huge value for society and it saddens me that most people's exposure to it is misleading adverts and media hit pieces.

I don't know, they showed a snapshot of a very good period of time as is their right. It would be a fool to think that was either sustainable or not able to fluctuate into the red by the same or larger amount. The addition of a disclaimer should be there but if someone goes off to buy that particular coin without and due diligence then hell mend them.

Looking at the graph, over the past 30 days, Crypto.com Coin had approx 20% or bigger gains on 6 24 hr periods, achieving 25% on 4. Of course I'm cherry picking, like what advertisers have done since the dawn of time.

Edited by Kapowzer

Are loan or mortgage APR’s are dynamic daily? you can’t say that about any stock or currency.

I’m not excusing what they’ve done but I don’t think it’s particularly underhand and I think what you’re suggesting isn’t workable.

However now you know, take adverts with a pinch of salt going forward.

I've always taken adverts with a pinch of salt but there are many people who don't and that's who these adverts are aimed at, not those who already understand the market.

A more realistic and up to date solution really isn't outwith the realms of current technology.

Pissing myself at the thought that a technology company in the crypto market does not have the technology to accurately advertise.

They'll maybe NFT it so that the punters that don't make 22% in a day can buy the NFT in the hope that it makes up the shortfall.

As for comparing it with mortgage rates. 😂. Made even worse by the fact that repossessions have f**k all to do with the loaning of money.  

Crypto shod be made to do the same as spread betters and provide details of how many retail investors lose money.  Eg. IG list it at about 75%

Pissing myself at the thought that a technology company in the crypto market does not have the technology to accurately advertise.
They'll maybe NFT it so that the punters that don't make 22% in a day can buy the NFT in the hope that it makes up the shortfall.
As for comparing it with mortgage rates. [emoji23]. Made even worse by the fact that repossessions have f**k all to do with the loaning of money.  
Crypto shod be made to do the same as spread betters and provide details of how many retail investors lose money.  Eg. IG list it at about 75%

TBH I'd be right behind that approach. 1 to make sure people know what they're getting into and 2. because I'd love a tax free pass for Crypto, same as spread betters get. [emoji1787]

Did anyone else experience that crazy anomaly with Baby Doge yesterday? I have 16,000,000,000 and at one point coin market cap had them trading at upwards of $2 dollars. I couldn't switch any of them to a less volatile currency on the exchanges and if you go back today all the exchanges are showing a flat line and no change, where yesterday there was a massive spike between around 11:30am and 2pm.